New Transmission [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Transmission

2xPutt
02-04-2006, 08:04 AM
my transmission finally went to **** about 2-3 weeks ago and in the mean time, i've been selling stuff like mad on eBay and saving money from my paychecks to get a new one. the transmission would just suck really bad at shifting, then finally when it stopped, it just would not shift into ANY gear, but 2 days later, it would shift into drive or reverse, etc, but really slowly, so therefore, the shavings were messing up inside the filter. I have an automatic 3.4.... does anyone know about how much this is going to run me to get fixed? I've saved up about $2,000 to put towards it. Should I save more? or is this a good enough amount? Thanks for your help!

atc3434
02-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Find a shop, call them, get a quote. You say there are metal shavings in the fluid? That definetly could spell disaster. Another possibility is the shift selinoid, its a fairly common failure.

tenspeed
02-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Call around like Andrew said. Nobody is giving you a quote over the phone. You don't know yet if you need another transmission or if yours can be fixed.

Did you see shavings in the tranny fluid? It could be something simple that should have been fixed or looked at before everything stopped working. Either way, the has to go to a repair shop and get checked out.

AaronGTR
02-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Definitely sounds like an internal problem. I just went thru this with my grand prix. Basically if it's an internal problem, it can be fixed but it will require the trans to be removed and rebuilt. You also have the option of getting a certified rebuilt trans from GM which has a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. Either one is going to cost you a lot, especially for the labor. In my case I did the labor myself so I only had to pay for the trans. The cost of getting my trans rebuilt versus the price I could get the GM one for was only a few hundred dollars so I went with the GM one since they go thru a more complete overhaul and testing procedure than what a shop would do.

Basically what you need to do is find out how much a dealer would charge you to install a new trans, then get some quotes from local tranny shops for a rebuild and labor for removal/install. Try to find one that is used to working on front drive automatics if you can. Then decide which route is best for you.