Speed Limiter info needed... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Speed Limiter info needed...

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 02:35 PM
Long story short (and to keep within teh rules), I got "involved" with a car on the freeway that was much faster than mine, and as I was trying to catch up, I (rightfully so) got pulled over. He was a ways in front of me by this point, so he got away. The officer does his deal, I'm polite, he asks me how fast I thought I was going. Speed limit is 65, by the way. I say "around 90, I'd guess." He comes back with "I clocked you at 119". I politely told him that it must have been the other car, because there was no way I could have been going that fast in my car. He didn't believe me, and I have the ticket now. I KNOW the limiter is like 107 on SE's so when I go to court to fight this, is there any place I can get something that shows that my limiter prevents my car from going that fast, therefore I could not have possibly been clocked at this speed? I have no problem paying for a ticket of 90 in a 65, but no way will I admit to doing 120.

angrysk8r
02-07-2006, 03:14 PM
Seems like a logical argument to me, it would be stupid for the people to not believe you....Also, most of the time from what I've heard, the cops don't even show up for half of the court cases for speeding.

mr_eh
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
uhhhh, theres nothing to prove you havent removed the limiter... either way, get a bmx cause your gonna be walking after that **** :)

mr_eh
02-07-2006, 03:17 PM
oh just for laughs, what kinda car were you trying to keep up with

harvester45
02-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Yeah, man, you'll have to be able to prove that you didn't have the speed limiter removed, but even then it seems like it'd be pretty tough to get a regular 2.4 (or even one with a WAI and exhaust, like yours) up to 119. I'd definitely try to fight it, but it can get expensive (I've fought a few, and you might end up paying more, but you can plea bargain down, and get points reduced). If your license is at stake, go for it.

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 03:29 PM
'twas a late 80's Mustang. I know the guy, I know he's done some work to it, I know it's faster than my car by a lot... I just saw him on the highway and started screwing with him.

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 03:31 PM
If I could get a dealer to say that it's the stock, unmodified PCM, and then something saying that I can't go that fast... I should have it.

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 03:32 PM
Yeah, man, you'll have to be able to prove that you didn't have the speed limiter removed, but even then it seems like it'd be pretty tough to get a regular 2.4 (or even one with a WAI and exhaust, like yours) up to 119. I'd definitely try to fight it, but it can get expensive (I've fought a few, and you might end up paying more, but you can plea bargain down, and get points reduced). If your license is at stake, go for it.

It'd take a SC or TC to get 120 in a 2.4 GA.

Graxall
02-07-2006, 03:39 PM
I dont think the limiter is 100% accurate imo. GT's limit at 127 and ive never gotten over 121..unles it takes like 10minutes to get 6mph when ur going that fast...

harvester45
02-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Is the GT governed or drag limited at 127? I thought that it didn't have a limiter, but I might be wrong.

eric99gt
02-07-2006, 03:58 PM
governed..

atc3434
02-07-2006, 04:47 PM
107 on the SE is correct. Before I had DHP I verified that several times. My Speedometer was fairly accurate, it read 2mph high at those speeds. I could read actual speed with my Scangauge.

iceman
02-07-2006, 05:08 PM
It's in the service manual if you get a dealer nice enough

but your big mouth screwed yourself... never actually admit to speeding, if they ask you if you knew how fast you were going, you should have just said "yes".. around here, 25 over is wreckless, I can't believe the dude wrote you for 117, what a ****

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 08:16 PM
I know, I should have said nothing, but I figured I was already screwed, ya know? I'm going to head into the Pontiac/GMC/Saturn dealership tomorrow for a copy of the service manual... our family has bought 4 cars from them in the last 4 years, so hopefully they'll help me out. I don't even care if this ends up costing me more to fight this, I will not admit to something I didn't do.

gporritt
02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
ya'll are saying that the limiter is higher on the gt? I'm not so sure, my GT tops out at around 110.

mm2311
02-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Don't you run out of gear after going 125 anyway?.....you'd have to mod your tranny and have other supporting mods to achieve 135 and over....

Just a guess...I don't even know how fast someone has gone with their GT....

Does anyone know?

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 08:40 PM
The limiting factor on GA's is the aerodynamics. Once you hit around 125, it takes WAAAAYYY more HP to get faster.

atc3434
02-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Don't you run out of gear after going 125 anyway?.....you'd have to mod your tranny and have other supporting mods to achieve 135 and over....

Just a guess...I don't even know how fast someone has gone with their GT....

Does anyone know?

Haha, defintely not gear limited, at least not undergeared. Overgeared, yes. 4th gear isn't good for much acceleration, you've basically got to the top of third, and then you're out of steam unless you're built way past stock power levels. My SE, with a 3.08 final drive will do over 140 in third. It won't climb in 4th, too steep, but with enough hp it would top forth at like 220 or so. A GT has a 3.29 final drive ratio, they shift at something like 136... I'm not exactly sure, but it the same thing, not enough power to climb in 4th. Bad for the tranny too, heats the torque converter a LOT in 4th gear w/o lockup with full power being fed to it.

02andahalfgt
02-07-2006, 09:30 PM
ya'll are saying that the limiter is higher on the gt? I'm not so sure, my GT tops out at around 110.

GTs go higher than that. I've been to 115, the car was shaking like Muhammad Ali, but it got there.

Matt if your car is capable of those speeds then the trade is back on! lol

DrFabulous
02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Jon, if my car goes 119...... well, I'm going to have to order a second Turbonator. FU Schweppe and Spy.... I will kill you all.

harvester45
02-07-2006, 09:50 PM
I hear those Turbonators work even better when they're installed in the exhaust, you'd be looking at 150mph, at least. lol

CoopGT
02-08-2006, 02:28 PM
I hear those Turbonators work even better when they're installed in the exhaust, you'd be looking at 150mph, at least. lol

Plus they'd make a neat woo woo sound .:amraam:

GrandAmGT1996
02-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Plus they'd make a neat woo woo sound .:amraam:

lol

Back to your ordeal. I got pulled over for 71 in a 40 over the summer. So I decided to fight it, even though i was actually doing 71, and I just went in with the "feel real bad" attitude, saying how i know if someone would have pulled out that i would have hit them or if a kid would have ran out i would have never stopped in time and probably killed them. The cop (since i knew him) helped me out by saying that he thought i learned my lesson and what not. So she [the judge] dropped it to 50 in a 40. So just go in there and be sad, and also defintly get some records showing that your car doesnt go 119 (or whatever he wrote). If anything go in there, show that you cant go that fast, then say that you would plea guilty to 80mph.

jms7417
02-08-2006, 10:15 PM
im not sure what everyone is saying about the speed limiter on the GT is... but i have a stock 2001 GT and i've had it up to 125 (on a flat road) before with 3 other ppl in the car on more than one occassion. Without that extra 500 lbs of passenger who knows... I live in East TN and all it is here is long highways, interstates, and backroads. I raced my friends Oldsmobile and i have had my GT pushin around 135 on a downward slope so i disagree with all the rumors of the GT speed limiter

GrandAmGT1996
02-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Around 135 is all you will get out of it, they are governed. Just like my '96, except it cuts me off at 106mph.

atc3434
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
im not sure what everyone is saying about the speed limiter on the GT is... but i have a stock 2001 GT and i've had it up to 125 (on a flat road) before with 3 other ppl in the car on more than one occassion. Without that extra 500 lbs of passenger who knows... I live in East TN and all it is here is long highways, interstates, and backroads. I raced my friends Oldsmobile and i have had my GT pushin around 135 on a downward slope so i disagree with all the rumors of the GT speed limiter

Yea, not rumor, defintely fact. Stock speedo's are known to get in-accurate at those speeds. Reading up to 5mph high isn't uncommon.

iceman
02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
lol

If anything go in there, show that you cant go that fast, then say that you would plea guilty to 80mph.

Uh no, if he can't possibly have been going that fast, then the cop doesn't know how to use the radar gun, and he should get off completely... simple argument

Anyways

Governor has been covered on here a million times, it's a fact what they are governed at... Your speedo might not be showing it exactly, but the speeds for SE's and GT's have been listed in this thread.. case closed. no more discussion on governors or how fast you think your car got up to on a flat road with ideal conditions :erika:

GrandAmGT1996
02-09-2006, 06:19 AM
Uh no, if he can't possibly have been going that fast, then the cop doesn't know how to use the radar gun, and he should get off completely... simple argument

I stand corrected. lol. Anyway, good luck...when do you go for your court date...or didn't you get it yet?

coupe
02-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Yeah keep us updated.

GrandAmGT1996
02-09-2006, 06:35 AM
Yeah keep us updated.

When I had to go in for mine, the whole month before it I thought about it every day, it was nerve wrecking because your like ****...wtf am I going to do without a license. But hopefully you (drfab) have the same outcome as me, and get away with it. I think you will be able to, especially if you can get the fact you cant go that fast proved, you should EASILY win this.

coupe
02-09-2006, 06:52 AM
Should be easy to win. Just gotta get proof that the car litteraly cant go that fast. Gotta track down a service manual.

GrandAmGT1996
02-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Yeah, and I'm sure once he proves that...the cop will feel like a real ass espcially since he told him when he got pulled over that he wasnt going that fast. lol

1hotgagt
02-09-2006, 08:01 AM
the fastes iv ever seen a gt top at is 150 it was posted on aedcentral.com

coupe
02-09-2006, 08:04 AM

No more limiter talk man, i dont want this locked!! I want to know the damn outcome of this!!!

DrFabulous
02-09-2006, 10:38 AM

I could post that my car goes 175 in first gear, that doesn't mean its possible. You can't mention that company, anyways... AND the topic at hand isn't how fast someone thinks their GT can go.

derrickmartin
02-09-2006, 11:02 AM

i've been to 120, with my stock 02 GAGT..

coupe
02-09-2006, 11:11 AM

Times like these i wish i could reach through my monitor and smack someone.

Y2KGA
02-09-2006, 12:15 PM
IIRC, the highest possible speed is determined by the speed rating of the tires your car originally came with. Since it is an SE it probably came with S rated tires which are rated for 112. GT's come with tires rated at 149 although the car probably will never reach that speed.

That probably won't help you since you would have to prove that you never modifed the pcm.

In NYS getting convicted of going over 40mph or participating in a "speed contest" will get your license suspended automatically.

Never admit that you were speeding. You have the right to remain silent!!!!

DrFabulous
02-09-2006, 12:16 PM

Your speedo might have said that, but you WERE NOT going that fast. Not that you should have A- been driving that fast or B- been looking down if you were happening to go that fast

coupe
02-09-2006, 12:20 PM
That probably won't help you since you would have to prove that you never modifed the pcm.

In NYS getting convicted of going over 40mph or participating in a "speed contest" will get your license suspended automatically.

I dont think he will have to prove anything about having a stock PCM. All he has to do is prove that the car is governed BY GM to not exceed a certain speed. That should be fairly easy.

I cant believe that they would take your liscnence for contesting a speeding ticket. I just cant believe that.

DrFabulous
02-09-2006, 12:25 PM
IIRC, the highest possible speed is determined by the speed rating of the tires your car originally came with. Since it is an SE it probably came with S rated tires which are rated for 112. GT's come with tires rated at 149 although the car probably will never reach that speed.

What SE's and GT's are limited to has already been said in this thread. You are right that they are limited by tires, but off on your #'s.

I don't care what right I had, I screwed up by speeding, and I was honest about it. If I had said nothing, would it have made a difference? No, cause the ticket is for 119.

coupe
02-09-2006, 12:54 PM
What SE's and GT's are limited to has already been said in this thread. You are right that they are limited by tires, but off on your #'s.

I don't care what right I had, I screwed up by speeding, and I was honest about it. If I had said nothing, would it have made a difference? No, cause the ticket is for 119.

Yes but if you can prove that your car cant do that speed you will most likely be let off totaly. But yeah you broke the law, but if you can beat the system then do it.

atc3434
02-09-2006, 01:04 PM

If the ticket is for 119 and you can only possibly acheive 107mph, its bogus, he obviously got the wrong cars speed. So, it wasn't your speed, so the officer doesn't actually have an idea of how fast you were going. There is your defense. Like everybody else said, admit nothing, thats the whole idea behind "Anything you say can and WILL be used against you in a court of law."

Y2KGA
02-09-2006, 01:12 PM
If the ticket is for 119 and you can only possibly acheive 107mph, its bogus, he obviously got the wrong cars speed. So, it wasn't your speed, so the officer doesn't actually have an idea of how fast you were going. There is your defense. Like everybody else said, admit nothing, thats the whole idea behind "Anything you say can and WILL be used against you in a court of law."

We all know that cars can be modified to do anything. You could make a 1990 Dodge Caravan go 119mph if you really wanted to.

coupe
02-09-2006, 01:21 PM
We all know that cars can be modified to do anything. You could make a 1990 Dodge Caravan go 119mph if you really wanted to.

What does that have to do with anything?

Y2KGA
02-09-2006, 01:41 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

If you tell the judge that the car can't do 119 because its limited to 107 from the factory, he can ask you if it has been altered in any way. He can also ask the officer if the car looked stock. If the officer noticed a fancy aftermarket exhaust or custom gauges on the dash that defense might not work.

atc3434
02-09-2006, 02:35 PM
You might try explaining that reaching 120mph with a stock 2.4 would take all afternoon...

DrFabulous
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
If he had clocked me going 90, and I had admitted to it, it couldn't have gotten any worse, know what I mean? I figured being honest could only help. Little did I know he thought I was going a lot faster.

DrFabulous
02-09-2006, 02:57 PM
You might try explaining that reaching 120mph with a stock 2.4 would take all afternoon...

Psh, turbonator man... it's got it goin.......

My car looks pretty damn stock on the outside. If they try to say my exhaust looks aftermarket, I can say it's the stock exhaust, cause it is.

02andahalfgt
02-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Times like these i wish i could reach through my monitor and smack someone.

If only that were possible. :nono: :smack: <-- that's just not good enough.

airforceff86
03-04-2006, 10:27 PM
why do cars start shaking like that when you get them up to certain speeds cause my 94 grand am before i got my 03 grand am which is alot faster but i was just wanderin oo by the way i got my 94 over 95 when it started to shake.

GrandAmGT1996
03-04-2006, 10:40 PM
why do cars start shaking like that when you get them up to certain speeds cause my 94 grand am before i got my 03 grand am which is alot faster but i was just wanderin oo by the way i got my 94 over 95 when it started to shake.

Do yourself, and us a favor by editing your post...from that to this...

Anyway...have you gotten any proof that you cannot do 119?

Panacea
03-04-2006, 11:00 PM

It's a thing called wind.

Panacea
03-04-2006, 11:03 PM
If he had clocked me going 90, and I had admitted to it, it couldn't have gotten any worse, know what I mean? I figured being honest could only help. Little did I know he thought I was going a lot faster.

I got pulled over last year and the dumb bitch said I was going like 70 or something like that in a 45 and in all actuality I was going 60. Needless to say I said "you're wrong cause I had my cruise set to 60." She gave me a warning, but regardless I was furious. I will admit when I do wrong, but if you're going to blatantly lie about me doing something I wasn't, then we've got a problem. Oh and she made up some other crap about how I blew through a yellow light honking my horn as if to let people know that I wasn't stopping... Yeah...

CoopGT
03-05-2006, 09:26 AM
It's a thing called wind.

I don't quite believe that . It has more to do with our engines & hp. I had a 71 t-birb that weighed 2.25 tons up to 150 . That car was as arrowdinamic as a brick compared to our cars. Displacement rulz ! Sorry about the spelling errors .:D

El_Diablo
03-05-2006, 10:36 AM
you said it yourself, 2.5 tons..... of course its going to be more stable at that weight

Edited because i was in a bad mood and a bit harsh in the original post.

02andahalfgt
03-05-2006, 06:47 PM
Aerodynamic.

Panacea
03-06-2006, 12:46 AM
you said it yourself, 2.5 tons..... of course its going to be more stable at that weight

Edited because i was in a bad mood and a bit harsh in the original post.

Yup, just like the reason why I couldn't take my '93 Saturn past 80mph -- it shook really bad (and barely had enough HP to make it up to that speed in the first place). My GA, on the other hand, is perfectly stable up until around 110mph.

Panacea
03-06-2006, 12:48 AM
I don't quite believe that . It has more to do with our engines & hp. I had a 71 t-birb that weighed 2.25 tons up to 150 . That car was as arrowdinamic as a brick compared to our cars. Displacement rulz ! Sorry about the spelling errors .:D

I was referring to the shaking of the vehicle, not speed.

Metallman56
03-06-2006, 07:34 AM
i didint read any of the second page but i read the first and last. dont know if this has been answerd but i have got my 01 gt up to 125 then i got out of it. i took my 99 se up to the rev limitor a few times, 105 then it would shift into 4th gear @ about 4000 rpms and that was all it would go. i went down hill going 105 and got up to about 107-108 and the car started acting really weird. like it didnt know what to do, anyways i didnt want my car to be acting like that going 105+ so i backed out of it fast. so 119 seems a bit far fetched. good luck to you though man. maybe we could all come in and testify for ya.

coupe
03-06-2006, 08:04 AM
Any updates on this?

BlackDeathGt
05-23-2006, 02:34 AM
read the whole 4 page saga, and now, at the end, I am left wondering. it's been like 2 months, what happened?

00GT1
05-23-2006, 03:59 PM
updates????

supersilvergt00
05-24-2006, 12:44 PM
Well, any news yet. Oh and my 00 gt will go to 120 and NO higher.

KeyserSosa2000
05-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Fab, you should have NO problem telling them that the ticket for 119 iis garbage. I know for a FACT that a Silver, four door, 2000 Grand Am SE with the 3400 V6 is govered at 175km/h.

(I'll save everyone from looking up an online conversion calculator, it's about 108 mph)

lone_wolf025
05-24-2006, 05:42 PM
This whole thread is a very interesting read. Unfortunately when it comes to traffic court the burden of proof is on the accused rather than the officer. Though its certainly possible to get off with the right proof. I knew this guy who had a 03 Grand Prix who got pulled over for "reckless driving" because his trans was slipping and dropping into gear suddenly causing the tires to chirp. He got a statement from the dealer saying as much and got off so it'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

D0M1N8R
05-31-2006, 06:26 AM
4 pages later and no updates? =(
dunno why but with my last motor my speedo read 105 when the governor kicked in. After swapping out the motor it gets to 107 on speedo =\

My last motor was bit more powerful then current replacement it seemed too.

GrandAmGT1996
05-31-2006, 06:40 AM
yeah seriously, lets get an update.

Mike Jung
05-31-2006, 07:47 AM
4 pages later and no updates? =(
dunno why but with my last motor my speedo read 105 when the governor kicked in. After swapping out the motor it gets to 107 on speedo =\

My last motor was bit more powerful then current replacement it seemed too.
Why, did you dyno it lol

:rolleyes:

GrandAmGT1996
05-31-2006, 08:43 AM
^^ lol

coupe
05-31-2006, 08:53 AM
People and their butt dyno, makes me laugh sometimes.