E85 Gas Question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : E85 Gas Question

izayn
02-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Does anybody know if our cars will run on E85??????

Molson
02-08-2006, 07:27 AM
What is E85?

edit:
From the FIRST link on a google search:

Can I Use E-85 in My Vehicle?
E-85 fuel can be used in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs). A flexible fuel vehicle is able to operate on any combination of gasoline and ethanol up to 85 percent ethanol. The FFV system allows the driver to use any combination of gasoline or ethanol - from 100 percent unleaded gasoline to 85 percent ethanol. E85 partners, GMC, DaimlerChrysler and Ford all produce vehicles that can run on E85 or gasoline when E85 is unavailable. Ask for an FFV at your favorite dealership, it often costs nothing extra and may just save you a bundle...since your engine may last longer.

E85 Flexible Fuel Vehicles
Many vehicles listed are select models only. Check your owner?s manual or visit www.E85fuel.com to ensure E85 compatibility.

ViperGTSR
02-08-2006, 09:08 AM
ethanol uses more energy than it makes (ie it uses more coal and nuclear power, than the resulating ethanol can provide), its pretty gay. biodiesel or bust. its just a way for american farmers to make more damn money

Coop
02-11-2006, 09:53 AM
yeah, cause american farmers are just rolling in it...:rolleyes:

.and to answer izaynes question, no it will not run on it. And from what I understand converting a gas-only car to E85 usually does not result in lower emissions or increased fuel mileage anyway.

bigbenSC
02-12-2006, 10:01 AM
The GA will NOT run on E85.

GrahamKracka
02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
seconded....very few cars can run on E-85

my truck can....but its just as expensive as gas with lower mileage...not worth it unless its about 80 cents cheaper than gas

jordanGT
02-18-2006, 05:02 PM
ethanol uses more energy than it makes (ie it uses more coal and nuclear power, than the resulating ethanol can provide), its pretty gay. biodiesel or bust. its just a way for american farmers to make more damn money

That's actually not so much true. From what I've read, the studies coming to that conclusion were using way old numbers to come to their conclusion, not taking into account newer, more efficient methods of farming, or something to that effect.

And no, you can't just put E-85 in the Grand Am; it'll run lean as all get-out. It might run, but not well...

SpyhunteR
01-31-2007, 06:55 PM
That's actually not so much true. From what I've read, the studies coming to that conclusion were using way old numbers to come to their conclusion, not taking into account newer, more efficient methods of farming, or something to that effect.

And no, you can't just put E-85 in the Grand Am; it'll run lean as all get-out. It might run, but not well...

You have to retune for E85. It will lean out, but if you something like DHP or HPtuners where you can retune for different sized injectors then yes with some dyno time you CAN run E85.

So run around w/ a laptop that has fueling for E85 and one for 100octane, so you can go back and forth with the quickness of a reflash. woot.

Malaclypse
01-31-2007, 08:09 PM
^ The above is true except for the part where the E85 fuel system has to be designed to suit the more corrosive properties of high ethanol content fuels. Things like fuel lines, and injectors themselves would have to be upgraded.

White00GAGT
02-07-2007, 08:27 AM
the injectors would have to flow more too cause it takes about 1.5 times more ethanol than gas to run, which is why mileage is hurt when a FFV goes to it instead of gas. It'd be interesting to see if someone converted their car to run on E85 or ethanol because you theortically could advance the timing and bump the comp ratio up because of it's octane ratings.

Mirage85
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Whats the mixture that BP uses? I know they do something goofy with their gas, I cant think of it at the moment.