Overheating Problem.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Problem....

Cyrix
02-09-2006, 01:57 PM
Ok, well I'm kinda stumpped now, I had a check engine light on for a while so I went to autozone to find out what it was, they told me my engine was running to cold and wasnt getting up to temp, and that made sence because the light would always come on on my drive to work on the highway, they told me it was the thermostat, so i bought a fail-safe on from them, put it in, and now my engine runs around normal temp when moving, but after i've been driving for a while and stop, it gets to around 240 and starts spitting coolent from the over-flow line on the reservoir, any ideas of what could be causing this? I'm thinking it might be a defective thermostat, I took it to the Ford dealership that we have in town, but they couldnt find out what the problem was, they say it might be a head gasket, but that doesnt make sence because it didnt have problemts until i replaced the thermostat....... grrrr

pyro
02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
hmm, no idea. probably a defective thermostat.

Panacea
02-09-2006, 09:56 PM
With the engine cold, make sure the coolant reservoir cap is on good and tight.

brim
02-10-2006, 08:28 AM
With the engine cold, make sure the coolant reservoir cap is on good and tight.

what he said, system might not be pressurized correctly because of the cap

that'd explain it spitting out, otherwise for the temp issue, try replacing the coolant temp sensor

Cyrix
02-12-2006, 08:05 AM
well im pretty sure my engine is toast now, its making a horrible knocking noise now....

GrandAmGT1996
02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
wow, i hope thats not the case...hopefully everything turns out alright. As far as your problem, no idea.

videoman
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
I might look more towards the pump. While the car is in motion there is a mild breeze moving through the engine compartment to where at idle the air flow is nil. Any leakage around your coolent pump? If the pump is ok, you might have a clog inside your block. Poorly mixed dexcool coolent can cause a plaque to buildup in the engine. Almost like a plaque in the arteries this is causing overheating issues. That would be my guess.

Measure yuor mixture with a proper coolent meter, and check your resevoir cap make sure its on tight. Otherwise you will have to drain your coolent and start searching for the more difficult issues.

Cyrix
02-18-2006, 11:34 PM
yeah, i've been told its probably an air pocket or a blockage in the system, but now im just gonna try and get the knocking noise fixed