transmission tune up? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : transmission tune up?

Rogue9
02-10-2006, 01:29 AM
Ok so I'm at 170,000 KM's and I notice that under moderate to hard accelleration the tranny seems like it's slipping betwwen 2500 and 3000 RPM.
not complete slippage but soft slip and then grab.

it's barely noticable but I was wondering if there's anything I can do next time it goes in for maintenance. I do tranny fluid changes every year from a dealer, and filter every 2 years.

is there some kind of rebuild or service I can get them to perform to fix this ?

any tranny additives?

Thanks.

freakydeaky
02-10-2006, 09:20 AM
this product could possibly help your slippage problems transmatic (http://www.transmaticsc.com/)

atc3434
02-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Original motor mounts? They might be cause some driveline slack that feels like a slip and grab. This would only be under situations where you stab at the throttle all of a sudden.

Rogue9
02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
No, it's on constant acceleration.
ehhhh I Dunno what to do... maybe let it die and get a full rebuild.

Coop
02-13-2006, 02:49 AM
It couldn't hurt to try an additive like Lucas or transmatic in a high mileage tranny that's had regular fluid changes. Friction material from the bands and clutches gets suspended in your fluid, regular changes reduces the amount in your fluid which can cause slipping later in the trannys life. Those additives just put it back in to help things grab better. I'm not saying regular fluid changes are a bad thing, it's just the nature of the beast and can be easily gotten around with an additive. Usually what happens is someone will take a car with 200,000 km's miles on it that's never had it's fluid changed and flush it out with new fluid and filter and then suddenly the car won't drive anymore (worst case scenario obviously, l0l).

Long story short, try an additive, only a couple bucks and it might be just what you need. If it doesn't do anything for you, you've only lost a couple bucks.

Rogue9
02-14-2006, 09:21 AM
heh yea I know a guy with an accord, drives it hard and shifts it like mad (it's auto)
he decided to suddenly replace his fluid with Synthetic fluid and the tranny just lost it. couldn't drive at all.
I was thinking of that lucas stuff.

Someone mentioned once the oil additive may not be that bad cause of the way it makes the oil foam easier, but I've used the power steering additive and I think it helps.