High Idle RPM, Car Vibrating... Help... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : High Idle RPM, Car Vibrating... Help...

badinstincts
02-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Hi, I have a 99 Grand Am GT.
I'm having problems with a high idle rpm. Its around 1k in D and goes up to 1.5K sometimes. Its especially bad when you go from D to R it spikes up to 1.5K and its hard to parallel park sometimes... I can turn off the car and put it back on a few times to get it back to the normal 600rpm or so, but its really annoying. Could it be the cold weather here in NY? I just changed the oil and I put Chevron fuel injection cleaner 2 times in 1 week and it only helped a little.

The car also shakes when i'm stopped in D or driving very slowly (up to 5mph)...

This began to happen after I drove through some 1/2 frozen puddles, the tires were breaking up the top layer of ice and I had to hit the gas a little to prevent from getting stuck in the puddles... (it was on a dirt/grass trail) I noticed these problems the following day, in which I changed the oil and put in fuel injection..

Please help me solve these problems...

angrysk8r
02-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Hmm, sounds like the problem I had a couple weeks ago. Either a vacuum leak or a MAF sensor problem. Make sure your vacuum hoses are completely hooked up and sealed. If that doesn't do it, then look into purchasing a new MAF sensor or clean your existing one out with a qtip and some rubbing alcohol.