Cooling system trouble [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cooling system trouble

budweiser143
02-11-2006, 09:32 PM
The problem I'm having now is explained in the last paragraph, however I did have a similar problem 6 months ago so I will explain that 1st.

About 6 months ago I pull into the gas station with no problems. When I get back to my car, the ground is flooded with coolant. Open the hood and can see the fluid emptied through the overfill drain on the resevior. Put some water in it and drive home with the heater on. Looked all over and couldnt find any leaks. Called my mechanic and he said it sounded like a thermostat. Just so happens I had a 180 therm that I wanted to put in anyway so I put it in and the car seemed ok.

For the last 3 months Ive had to put coolant in the resevior roughly every 2 weeks.

Today very similar problem! Driving for about 40 minutes with no problems. Run into the store and when I come out 15 minutes later the parking lot is flooded with coolant, again emptying through the overfill drain hose on the resevoir. Refilled the resevior and drove home with no problems.

Does it sound like maybe this thermostat went bad also, or does it sound like something else?
Thanks

Mike Jung
02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Maybe your reservoir tank pressure cap is faulty :confused:

GAGT7386
02-12-2006, 12:20 AM
This time try flushing out the system before you do anything ... or have your mechanic check it out.

freeze12
02-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Might be the Lower Intake Manifold gasket

Cyrix
02-12-2006, 09:07 AM
looks alot like the problem i have

budweiser143
02-12-2006, 08:23 PM
The one gush of fluid backflowing through the overfill drain does sound most like a bad thermo, just not sure if it could be something else.
Im gonna have to call my mechanic in the morning and see what his opinion is. Only thing is I cant afford to have him do it unless I find my paperwork for my extended warranty which I havent been able to find for months...

Skullrot
02-14-2006, 10:50 PM
I had that same problem a few months ago. My fix for it was a cap replacement on the reservoir tank. I agree gagt7386, flush your system and change that cap and you're problem should go away.