Got coolent flushed, but still dirty tank [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Got coolent flushed, but still dirty tank

AznGA
02-17-2006, 02:57 PM
I got my cooling system flushed at a GM dealer, but the inside of the coolent tank is still dirty. Is there any way to clean it?

iceman
02-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Yeah, take it out and clean it.

nightingale
02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
*iagree* :jackson

RedGrandTour
02-17-2006, 07:58 PM
I got my cooling system flushed at a GM dealer, but the inside of the coolent tank is still dirty. Is there any way to clean it?

I guess you could clean it but the plastic will still be foggy and yellowish. I paid for a new coolant tank and cap. This was included with the gasket work. The cap is revised and is a little bigger, locks tighter. The tank was $30 and the cap was $10. I don't have to put my face to the bottle to read the level anymore. It prevents me or anyone else from taking the cap off just to see what's in there.

excitement
02-20-2006, 01:43 PM
I guess you could clean it but the plastic will still be foggy and yellowish. I paid for a new coolant tank and cap. This was included with the gasket work. The cap is revised and is a little bigger, locks tighter. The tank was $30 and the cap was $10. I don't have to put my face to the bottle to read the level anymore. It prevents me or anyone else from taking the cap off just to see what's in there.

Mine is the same way. Almost impossible to read unless you take the cap off. I was considering changing the tank too but decided that if it's not broken leave it alone.

RedGrandTour
02-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Mine is the same way. Almost impossible to read unless you take the cap off. I was considering changing the tank too but decided that if it's not broken leave it alone.

True. In my case the gasket work was being done and a coolant flush anyway.

lightningGA
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
is there anything that you guys suggest using to clean it??

I have mine out right now soaking in hot water and dish detergant....but there's some serious gunk in there.

Panacea
03-11-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't think cleaning it is what you're wanting. My tank isn't dirty, but because of the crappy plastic they used, the tank looks hideous. It's yellow in color and you can't see the fill line... I think it's the tank itself, and if you're wanting it to look crystal clear, or nice and white, I don't think that's going to happen unless you buy a new one.

lightningGA
03-11-2006, 05:16 PM
inside there's a brownish sludge stuck to the inner walls of the tank...not a whole lot but it's there.

I just want to clean it out good before I paint it and put it back in.

AaronGAGT
03-12-2006, 06:42 PM
inside there's a brownish sludge stuck to the inner walls of the tank...not a whole lot but it's there.

I just want to clean it out good before I paint it and put it back in.

I just used the garden hose sprayer and just blasted it all out