No heat in car and im freezing [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : No heat in car and im freezing

gobraves02002
02-18-2006, 10:30 PM
i really havent driven my car much this winter except for days that i know the weather will be nice. well i drove today and the weather changed on me and went into the 30's. i let the car warm up as usual and began to drive. over the course of 30 minutes i never stopped shivvering. the air coming out was warmer than the temp but no where near what im used to. why? anyone know, i would greatly appreicite it.

angrysk8r
02-18-2006, 10:34 PM
i really havent driven my car much this winter except for days that i know the weather will be nice. well i drove today and the weather changed on me and went into the 30's. i let the car warm up as usual and began to drive. over the course of 30 minutes i never stopped shivvering. the air coming out was warmer than the temp but no where near what im used to. why? anyone know, i would greatly appreicite it.

make sure you have a full tank of antifreeze

digitalballz
02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
T-stat

intence
02-23-2006, 03:47 PM

Agree with the post above, most common cause would probably be a LIM leak. Just do a search here for LIM or Lower Intake Manifold leak. It's a known issue with the 3.4L engine.

Check your antifreeze tank, and if it's empty you can probably fill it up (DexCool 50/50 w/water, or buy the premixed stuff). If filling up the tank to the full level works, then it's probably the LIM gaskets that need to be changed. Be careful when opening up the antifreeze tank, don't do it when the car is hot, and put a rag or something over the cap. If it's full and fluid sprays out, it's going to be hot. If you let it cool off for a while, it should be an issue.

If it is a coolant leak, then you should get your LIM gaskets changed, or you'll have engine damage down the road. Hopefully you're still under warranty ;)

99GAGTX
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
As far as I know, the LIM gasket problem is a 3.4 litre engine problem mostly. If you have the 3.1 litre engine, you shouldn't have the leaky LIM problem.

When I had my 1991 Z24, the 3.1 was a pretty reliable engine. I did however have to replace the heater core once though. You may be having the same problem.

krenn
02-26-2006, 08:22 PM
I have a similar problem, except that my heater will blow out warm air then after a while it will get cold. If I play around with the heater knob it will heat up again. Is it possible that my heater core is going?

Panacea
02-26-2006, 09:15 PM
Make sure the knob for the heat is turned all the way to the right. If it's not it can make a huge difference in the temp. The settings are extremely sensitive.

krenn
02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
It is not the position of the knob. Sometimes after the car has run for a bit, the air blowing out of the ducts is nice and warm, then it will just cool down (for no apparent reason), that is when I play with the knobs and get heat again.

99GAGTX
02-27-2006, 05:56 PM
The temp knob is actually a potentiometer (variable resistor). Without getting into a long description of how potentiometers work, let's just say that it sounds like it needs to be cleaned or replaced. This happens to any to any pot. that is used a lot, or is subject to dirty/dusty conditions.

You could try pulling the plastic knob off the shaft and spraying some electronic cleaner inside the pot, and see if that helps.