01GT major power loss and surging in all gears [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 01GT major power loss and surging in all gears

zegoldfish
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Press the pedal down and practically no power until about 2000 rpm and then it picks up, shifts into the next gear and does the same thing til about 2grand and shift and does it all over again.

I was having this problem along with coolant leak so did an LIM change and the problem went away for a few days and now it's doing it again.

The car has about 78k miles one it.
Bent a valve during the LIM gasket change so had the heads replaced, then a collapsed lifter, now changed so that should be all good. Also changed the fuel filter while I was at it and just put in new plugs shortly before the LIM change.

I don't think it has anything to do with the new heads since I was having this problem before all that.

What should I be looking for now? FPR? Please help.

szf2
02-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Is it a manual? My wife once had a Nissan Sentra that had no power at lower RPMs. Would barely make it up hills. However, it had plenty of power past about 2k to 2.5k RPMs. Spent all kinds of time/money trying to figure out what the problem was. Turns out it was just a bit low on clutch fluid.

Slim
02-23-2006, 07:49 AM
Wouldn't be a manual, it's a GT.

Does it do this in neutral/park as well? Does it sound like it's misfiring or does it run smoothly? Did you check the coil packs or plug wires?

zegoldfish
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
It only does it while driving and it's not missing.

Checked the wires when I had it apart for the LIM change and they were fine. Plugs are new. I just had it scanned at Advanced it's throwing "multiple cylinder misfire" code and I did a search and the general concensus seems to be a dirty fuel injector. This peeks my interest because the guy that changed the heads and lifter said I had a cracked injector and he replaced it. He's a good mechanic but also a backyard mechanic so I'd bet money that he got the injector from a junkyard so it could be all gunked.

Also, since the car's rounding 80k could I be losing power from a clogged cat? And could that possibly cause it to throw a code?

Slim
02-23-2006, 08:20 AM
You said you checked the plugs and wires, but did you check the coil packs? It could be a dirty injector as well, but if it's multiple misfires it could be a back coil pack since each one fires two cylinders.

iceman
02-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I'd start w/ cloggedi njector

zegoldfish
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM
No, haven't checked the coil packs. Sounds like the simplest place to start. Then I'll move to the injectors. I was really hoping the LIM change was going to take care of this problem... sigh.

GrandAmGT1996
02-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Love your GA yet? Hopefully after this problem, its the end of problems. Best of luck!

j_yewchin
02-23-2006, 11:09 PM
hey well i know your in the states, but i do have good news for you, you probably have a little bit of warranty left on your catalytic converter. in my manual it says all emissions (pcm, and cat conv) is covered to 130000kms. if it is your problem, it WONT cost you a 1000 dollars because it should still be covered. please let me know how it goes because i have a similar problem. except the car seems to have its good and bad days.

zegoldfish
02-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Well, I Seafoamed it yesterday and that fixed it... for a few hours. It even cleared the multiple cylinder misfire code. After about an hour it starts acting up again. Not too bad just a little hesitation at low RPMs. Now today it's back to it's old tricked and the SES light is back on. Gonna check the coil packs tomorrow morning after work and if they're good I guess I'll have to have the injectors flowmatched.

I think I misdiagnosed it from the beginning because it's clearly missing and if I listen carefully when I mash the pedal I can hear a distinct sucking sound.

Back to the drawing board.

videoman
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24465

Had the surging issue. So far the Brand New PCM resolved it completely, but this thread has some info to help.

zegoldfish
02-28-2006, 08:19 PM
Tranny surging in 3rd gear

Had the surging issue. So far the Brand New PCM resolved it completely, but this thread has some info to help.

But you say the car wasn't throwing any codes right? I'm getting a multiple cylinder misfire code thrown.

On that note, I will try a relearn and see if that does anything.

videoman
02-28-2006, 11:07 PM
From what I was told by the shop foreman, he said this issue can come with other side effects dealing with timing issues and sensor mis readings. Try resetting the PCm and see if it helps. the reset in my case only delayed the issue from returning. a brand new PCM was required to resolve the issue.

Panacea
02-28-2006, 11:40 PM
It's possible you have a bad injector. I find it odd that you have missfire codes, used seafoam -- which fixed the problem for a few hours -- and then the problem came back. Sounds like a fuel system issue to me. Get your injectors professionally cleaned and/or have the dealer check 'em out to make sure you don't have one stuck open/closed.

zegoldfish
03-06-2006, 01:43 PM
God, working midnights isn't very condusive to working on my car. But today I checked the coil packs and arced fine. However, the post on number 5 looks a little rusted or burnt, so I switched the 5/2 and 3/6 packs and the car wouldn't start. Switched 'em back and it started fine. Also, the boot on the number 5 wire didn't click down so I replaced the wires which helped a little but not enough.

I guess I could try pulling a coil pack from the junk yard and see if that helps.

The guy who chenged the heads seems to think the problem is coming from a clogged catalytic converter but he also thought it'd be a good idea to toss my K&N drop-in filter "cause they run better without the filter anyway."

Anyway, I guess it'll come down to having the injectors professionally cleaned. That'll have to wait til the weekend though.

ANY input that ANYONE has would be greatly appriciated here. I'm losing my patience with this problem.

cryptnix
03-13-2006, 09:45 AM
rear o2?

nascarnate326
03-13-2006, 10:59 AM
Is it throwing any lites on dash or any codes?

zegoldfish
03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Yeah, when I had the codes pulled it was random cylinder misfire and EGR code.

zegoldfish
03-14-2006, 07:28 PM
If anyone's interested, the problem the whole time was the catalytic converter. Had to have the flange bolts torched off and replaced and after about an hour and half of breaking up the innards (half of which was breaking up one last large chunk that was very stubborn) the Junk Yard GA is running like new. The cat must have been clogged something retarded 'cause the car's got power back I forgot it even had. I'm so glad to finally have this taken care of. I was ready to drive this ****box into a river.

j_yewchin
03-14-2006, 08:32 PM
yay i was right, how many km's did you have anyways? because like i said if its under 130000kms you could've had it replaced no charge at the dealer... at least up here anyways. also i read the post a couple times but did you just smash the converter inside to pieces or did you replace it with a junk yard part? if you did the first solution your check engine might come on, but please let us know.
jim

zegoldfish
03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
yay i was right, how many km's did you have anyways? because like i said if its under 130000kms you could've had it replaced no charge at the dealer... at least up here anyways. also i read the post a couple times but did you just smash the converter inside to pieces or did you replace it with a junk yard part? if you did the first solution your check engine might come on, but please let us know.
jim

It's right about 79k miles (dunno what that converts to KM) but as far as having it replaced at the dealer, my car has a junked title (bought it at a junkyard and rebuilt it) so I've never been able to have anything done for free at the dealer. I suppose I could have checked... hindsight is always 20/20.

But yeah, I just tore the honeycomb out of the inside, didn't bother replacing it. I heard that it might throw a code because the lower O2 sensor won't get the correct reading, but my SES light has actually gone away as a result of this.