180 thermostat? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 180 thermostat?

alexjames
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
how important is it to have a 180 deg. thermstat when you install a DHP system?

tjc13
02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
how important is it to have a 180 deg. thermstat when you install a DHP system?

If you do a search you'll find out. It has been discussed many times.

Upon 15 seconds of my own searching I found that if you have a 180* stat and stock PCM it will run a little cooler but your fans don't come on till ~200* as it is. DHP will have the fans come on at 186* for the 180* t-stat. You may also notice a performance improvement with the 180* thermostat since your car will run cooler.

So, to answer your question. No, you don't have to use a 180* thermostat but it is highly reccomended. Also, without one your fans will be running most of the time.

coupe
02-23-2006, 07:05 AM
I dont have one, no biggie

lone_wolf025
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Forgive me for asking a dumb question but how exactly does keeping the engine itself (not the intake charge) cooler result in more power? It would seem to me that less heat would mean less fuel being vaporized as quickly. Granted of course that by having a thermostat that opens sooner, along with a cooling fan that operates sooner, all you're really doing is just circulating the coolant a little quicker. The actual heatsink effect produced by this additional cooling to the engine would seem neglible. Now, I'm not questioning anyone who says they've noticed an increase in power along with the proper changes, but I'm wondering if anyone has any solid before and after numbers on just those two mods together to confirm what has been felt. Any information or directional assistance in finding this info would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Jung
03-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Forgive me for asking a dumb question but how exactly does keeping the engine itself (not the intake charge) cooler result in more power? It would seem to me that less heat would mean less fuel being vaporized as quickly. Granted of course that by having a thermostat that opens sooner, along with a cooling fan that operates sooner, all you're really doing is just circulating the coolant a little quicker. The actual heatsink effect produced by this additional cooling to the engine would seem neglible. Now, I'm not questioning anyone who says they've noticed an increase in power along with the proper changes, but I'm wondering if anyone has any solid before and after numbers on just those two mods together to confirm what has been felt. Any information or directional assistance in finding this info would be greatly appreciated.
More timing & less possibility of picking up 'knock' retard (maybe-?).

lone_wolf025
03-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Hmm...that would make sense...