question about vinyls and where to get a ram air hood [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : question about vinyls and where to get a ram air hood

RyanBeemer
02-23-2006, 01:46 PM
I did a search before I posted this, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

I just, well three weeks ago bought a 2003 grand am GT and I am looking to modify a few things, but I have never done anything like this before. Some stuff I know I can’t do.

Ok first question. I want to buy some vinyls from GrafxWerks, ones to go over the “grand am GT”, “Pontiac”, door handles and the “ram air”. Those ones for sure, maybe more. Where I live its winter right now. The warmest it has been is +2 degrees celsius. There is lots of snow, salt/gravel on the roads. And in summer they put some oil/tar stuff on the roads to keep the dust down. Now will these vinyls stand up to all of this.

I want to buy one of the ram air hoods from “Parts for your Cars” but it’s an American company, so if you put that into Canadian dollars it would cost me more than $1100 bucks to get it out where I live. Does anyone know of a Canadian company that sells the same hoods? I don’t really feel like spending $3000 dollars to get it shipped/painted/installed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

coupe
02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
The vinyl will stand up to all that no problem. I suggest instead of getting overlays just debadge and go clean. You can also debadge and put the overlays right to your paint like i did, it will still look clean.

I dont think anyone in canada sells them unless its a private person.

xxbackhillxx
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Dealership would be the best way to go about getting the hood.

Graxall
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
My .02 is that vinyls look too cheap. I have 3 diff vinyls on my car. 3rd brake light overlay, headlight overlay, and door lock amber overlays. When i hear vinyl i think
http://motorsportsdecals.tripod.com/motorsportsdecals/images/maxima-flame-job.jpg
aka gaysville

xxbackhillxx
02-23-2006, 02:28 PM
when i hear graxall i think gaysville as well. let him do what he wants. a few vinyl pieces add nicely to our cars.

Graxall
02-23-2006, 02:36 PM
good one...like what?

edit: plus he was asking for opinion and i gave mine so gfys....

Admin edit: Quit the insults... Or I close it.

DrFabulous
02-23-2006, 04:55 PM
If you do overlays, go with something a little different... like if your car is black, I've seen both red and yellow overlays that look really nice. There's a black GT coupe around me with yellow overlays over everything... looks really nice. An nice, cheap way of making your car stand out.

As for the hood, I'd either wait till someone sells their personal one, or go to a dealer.

coupe
02-24-2006, 06:09 AM
I forgot about going to a dealer......der :banghead

RyanBeemer
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I will try the dealer, right now I have the parts department trying to see if they can get it. It's cheaper for me to get it at work, because I get 10% off. As for debadgeing, I don't really want to do that. My car is black so I think red/black is a good color choice, plus my rims and trim I have over the wheel wells is chrome, I will get chrome door handles.

coupe
02-24-2006, 12:47 PM
I will try the dealer, right now I have the parts department trying to see if they can get it. It's cheaper for me to get it at work, because I get 10% off. As for debadgeing, I don't really want to do that. My car is black so I think red/black is a good color choice, plus my rims and trim I have over the wheel wells is chrome, I will get chrome door handles.

I dont think you read my post well. You can debadge it and still put on overlays right on your paint. It will still look smooth and have a little detail.

pyro
02-24-2006, 12:48 PM
eww, not chrome fender lining. get rid of that asap! its a grand am not an 85 new yorker!

coupe
02-24-2006, 12:52 PM
eww, not chrome fender lining. get rid of that asap! its a grand am not an 85 new yorker!

Oh man i didnt even see that he wrote that!
Thats so :amraam: you really need to take that off, its so cheap and horrid looking IMO.

pyro
02-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Oh man i didnt even see that he wrote that!
Thats so :amraam: you really need to take that off, its so cheap and horrid looking IMO.
goes right along with yellow wire loom.:boxing: lol just messin

RyanBeemer
02-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I just don't see any point to debadge, like I said I'm new to the whole car modifying thing. So if there is some real advantage to doing it I might debadge it, but otherwise I will just leave them on. Ans as for the chrome fender lining, that was on when I bought the car.

coupe
02-24-2006, 01:17 PM
goes right along with yellow wire loom.:boxing: lol just messin

I know its :amraam: also. I wouldnt put it up there withthe chrome fender flairs though lol
My loom came out last night when i put in my new accel coil packs. To tell ya the truth my engine bay looks so bland now.

RyanBeemer
02-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I personaly don't think the chrome fender flairs look bad, at this point anyways. If you want to see a picture of it go to - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29527587/

And you think your engine bay looks bland coupe, you should see mine, there's nothing but TONS of dirt in it.

coupe
02-24-2006, 04:08 PM
I personaly don't think the chrome fender flairs look bad, at this point anyways. If you want to see a picture of it go to - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/29527587/

And you think your engine bay looks bland coupe, you should see mine, there's nothing but TONS of dirt in it.

Your right, its really not that bad at this point, i would still take it off ASAP specially with new apearance mods coming.

If you need help detailing your engine bay just give me a PM or you can search around here.

RyanBeemer
02-24-2006, 05:06 PM
It's not so much detailing it (which would still be nice), its just trying to keep it clean. I live on a dirt road, about 2km from a paved road. Only have of the roads around here are paved. There is so much dirt I would have to cover the entire bottom of the engine bay to keep it out.

coupe
02-24-2006, 05:15 PM
When my car isnt in storage and i drive it more i still have to wype it down once a week and i drive on ONLY paved roads.

RyanBeemer
02-25-2006, 05:34 PM
well I think within a week I am going to order red overlays. I think red/black looks good. And I am going to order a grill from ccg.com. I am going to have to get a shop to install then because it's -20 celcius here right now, and there's no way I can keep the car warm outside. And a heat gun can't keep up.

02andahalfgt
02-26-2006, 06:14 PM
Just wait for warmer weather. Don't waste your money on having someone else install vinyl and grills. :nono:

Rich
02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
I just don't see any point to debadge, like I said I'm new to the whole car modifying thing. So if there is some real advantage to doing it I might debadge it, but otherwise I will just leave them on. Ans as for the chrome fender lining, that was on when I bought the car.

is there a point or advantage to doing it? not really, besides adding sexiness. i used to never want to debadge my car but i did and i liked it. im sure you can find someone on here with your color GA thats debadged so you can get an idea. but yeah its your car so do what you want.

and ditto to what jon said above.

Ajaxus
02-26-2006, 06:40 PM

one advantage that people forgot is waxing. its a b!tch and a half to wax around the badges (eventually you might get it down). if you debadge and put the overlays on then waxing is 100X easier to do. :D

personally i put down for a debadge and some overlays.

and like Jon said, no point in paying someone to do it, spring is a stones throw away and so is summer. might as well wait. especially since you need the area clean when you apply them and they have to be under a warm sun for the first few days to get any stray bubbles out.

RyanBeemer
02-27-2006, 11:19 AM
well I wasn't going to pay someone to do it, I did a big favour for the owner of the store, so he said they would but it on free of charge (plus a free oil change). But now I'm just going to go to work and hour or so early, put the car in the shop for 5 hours, let it warm up, clean it, and put the vinyls on myself.

And far as spring is 2-3 months away for me, and the chances of getting 2-3 days of pure sun, very, very slim around here. Spring is usually somewhat warm, with lots off rain.

And for debadgeing, can I do it myself or does a dealer/bodyshop have to do it.

pyro
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
well I wasn't going to pay someone to do it, I did a big favour for the owner of the store, so he said they would but it on free of charge (plus a free oil change). But now I'm just going to go to work and hour or so early, put the car in the shop for 5 hours, let it warm up, clean it, and put the vinyls on myself.

And far as spring is 2-3 months away for me, and the chances of getting 2-3 days of pure sun, very, very slim around here. Spring is usually somewhat warm, with lots off rain.

And for debadgeing, can I do it myself or does a dealer/bodyshop have to do it.
there are a jillion threads on debadging. you can do it yourself. either take fishing line behind them or use a flathead and a cloth (what i did) its easier that way but you risk chipping paint. just work slowly and pry evenly

Kdawg207
02-27-2006, 11:38 AM
like i've always said

you can debadge with ZERO threat of harming the paint

do a search under my name and the keyword wd 40

02andahalfgt
02-27-2006, 09:39 PM
there are a jillion threads on debadging. you can do it yourself. either take fishing line behind them or use a flathead and a cloth (what i did) its easier that way but you risk chipping paint. just work slowly and pry evenly

Instead of a flathead I used one of those little plastic squeegies, worked perfectly.

phxchristian
03-23-2006, 02:10 AM
Vinyl and Chrome Overlays.... Ricer talk me thinks... God where do these people come from????

pyro
03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Vinyl and Chrome Overlays.... Ricer talk me thinks... God where do these people come from????
bringing up dead old threads...newb me thinks. :nono:

coupe
03-23-2006, 11:58 AM
Why is bringing up old threads bad?

RyanBeemer
03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
I added the vinyl over the badges and chrome overlays on the handels for looks only.

pyro
03-23-2006, 12:15 PM
Why is bringing up old threads bad?
when you bring one up only to try and rant on others i see it as a bad thing.

coupe
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
I added the vinyl over the badges and chrome overlays on the handels for looks only.

Yeah we know, what else would they be for?

RyanBeemer
03-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah we know, what else would they be for?

that was my comment for phxchristian.

pyro
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
that was my comment for phxchristian.
that was his initial point in the comment, and i agree it does look ricey and tacky.

coupe
03-23-2006, 03:10 PM
that was his initial point in the comment, and i agree it does look ricey and tacky.

Eactly
True on the bringin up old threads, its just ive seen old threads get brought back up with valid questions and then get locked. I just figured if you have a question or comment (worth something) it would be better to bring up old threads than to start new ones.