Fairly large coolant leak... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fairly large coolant leak...

angrysk8r
02-25-2006, 09:50 PM
I've been driving on this for quite a while... At first I thought it was coming from the TB hoses but I've replaced those to no avail. It's actually a fairly big coolant leak but I've changed the oil recently and havn't seen any coolant in the old oil......wondering if anyone else might know a possible cause...Here's quite a few pictures I've taken of the leak if they help any

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak8.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/angrysk8r/leak1.jpg

eric99gt
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
99% sure it's the LIM gasket.

digitalballz
02-26-2006, 04:14 PM
have it pressure tested. Most likely the LIM. I just did a LIM on a 2002 buick century 3.1L.

angrysk8r
02-26-2006, 08:04 PM
I can just go to a dealership for that correct? Usually how much does one cost?

Ajaxus
02-26-2006, 08:23 PM
dealership can fix it, yes. prices vary but plan on a few hundred because it takes approx. 8hrs to fix and labor is gonna cost ya (parts are fairly cheap).

edit: are you really 95?

angrysk8r
02-26-2006, 08:33 PM
dealership can fix it, yes. prices vary but plan on a few hundred because it takes approx. 8hrs to fix and labor is gonna cost ya (parts are fairly cheap).

edit: are you really 95?

Actually I was talking about how much it would cost for the pressure testing...but yea I was assuming that if i had the dealership fix the LIM it would cost me a bundle...

-and i think it's safe to assume im not 95:D I accidentally put in the wrong DOB when I registered and just never bothered to fix it

coupe
02-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Its a LIM leak, no question about it.

Plug
02-27-2006, 06:36 PM
LIM is easy to fix. It took me about 9hrs over three days.

Take your time label everything and get everything before you start. Electrical connections are pretty self explanetory. Plug wires are the ones you need to label. If you want a list I can make one up for you. That is if you decide to do it yourself. Buy a couple of o-rings for the injecters as you will probly lose 1or 2, I did.

Canadian $ it cost me about $325 but I bought extras like a flush kit which connects directly into the hose going into the heater core. Makes for an easy coolant system flush. The hardest part is those dang block drain plugs...the rear one AAAARRRRGGGG!!:balla: Lot's of:balla:

angrysk8r
02-27-2006, 09:11 PM
LIM is easy to fix. It took me about 9hrs over three days.

Take your time label everything and get everything before you start. Electrical connections are pretty self explanetory. Plug wires are the ones you need to label. If you want a list I can make one up for you. That is if you decide to do it yourself. Buy a couple of o-rings for the injecters as you will probly lose 1or 2, I did.

Canadian $ it cost me about $325 but I bought extras like a flush kit which connects directly into the hose going into the heater core. Makes for an easy coolant system flush. The hardest part is those dang block drain plugs...the rear one AAAARRRRGGGG!!:balla: Lot's of:balla:

Yea if you could make a list/walkthrough/whatever that would be great. I was planning to do it myself instead of having the dealership rape me up the checkbook.

GAGT7386
02-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Did mine earlier this winter and with the parts from the dealer it cost me just under $150. Still a good chunk of $$$, but it is way better then the $6xx some they wanted to do it. It was my first time so it took me about 13 hrs to do over two days, I wanted to be very careful not to mess anything up.

Also if you are looking to do any other top end engine work this would be the time since you will have it appart.

Plug
03-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Ask the dealer for the LIM kit. You don't need the bolts!! As long as you do not over torque the old ones when you re install them.

The list:-)

-jack
-jack stands
-buckets to drain radiater coolant
-oil drain pan
-engine/ brake clean
-6 ltrs antifreeze. I changed over to green after flushing out the orange dexcool. Do not mix the two!!
-4/5 ltrs oil and filter
-thermostat
-fuel injecter o-rings (buy 2 or 3 just to have in case you lose one)
-red loctite
-rtv sealant
-pipe sealant (block drain plugs)
-LIM gasket kit from GM
-fast orange to clean your hands.
-torque wrench reading inch pounds

Do yourself a favour and buy the coolant system flush kit. Easy to install and even easier to use. All it is is a T fitting that you put inline of the hose that goes into your heater core under the hood. Attatch the garden hose and flush away.

Some guys say you need to remove the pass side motor mount competly to get at the power steering pump bolts to get at one upper intake manifold bolt. I just removed one of the motor mount bolts and spun the power steering pully to get at their mounting bolts. However you would need an adapter that fits into the req'd size socket to then use a wrench to turn the socket.

I think you call them "socket caps" I don't know how to resize the picture to post it here.

I am pretty sure that is it.

andrewe77
03-04-2006, 10:10 PM
You forgot a new water pump in the list. Good to replace it now while you have it torn apart especially since they only cost around $35.

Plug
03-05-2006, 10:07 AM
You forgot a new water pump in the list. Good to replace it now while you have it torn apart especially since they only cost around $35.

That is a personal preferance. I live by the rule.....if it isn't broken don't fix it.

Carmaniac
03-05-2006, 11:31 AM
this is the same thing that is happening to me. every 2 weeks my low coolant light flashes on and the tank is pretty much empty. i have been refilling it for a while now because i no its going to cost a lot to fix. i dont no if i can handle fixing it myself.

angrysk8r
03-05-2006, 11:50 AM
this is the same thing that is happening to me. every 2 weeks my low coolant light flashes on and the tank is pretty much empty. i have been refilling it for a while now because i no its going to cost a lot to fix. i dont no if i can handle fixing it myself.

Kind of the same thing that I've been doing....what needs to be done to fix it seems a bit overwhelming...

coupe
03-06-2006, 05:12 AM
Looks like a cake walk to me......

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41015&highlight=change+water+pump

angrysk8r
03-06-2006, 09:50 AM
i meant the whole LIM gasket change

angrysk8r
03-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Ask the dealer for the LIM kit. You don't need the bolts!! As long as you do not over torque the old ones when you re install them.

The list:-)

-jack
-jack stands
-buckets to drain radiater coolant
-oil drain pan
-engine/ brake clean
-6 ltrs antifreeze. I changed over to green after flushing out the orange dexcool. Do not mix the two!!
-4/5 ltrs oil and filter
-thermostat
-fuel injecter o-rings (buy 2 or 3 just to have in case you lose one)
-red loctite
-rtv sealant
-LIM gasket kit from GM
-fast orange to clean your hands.

Do yourself a favour and buy the coolant system flush kit. Easy to install and even easier to use. All it is is a T fitting that you put inline of the hose that goes into your heater core under the hood. Attatch the garden hose and flush away.

Some guys say you need to remove the pass side motor mount competly to get at the power steering pump bolts to get at one upper intake manifold bolt. I just removed one of the motor mount bolts and spun the power steering pully to get at their mounting bolts. However you would need an adapter that fits into the req'd size socket to then use a wrench to turn the socket.

I think you call them "socket caps" I don't know how to resize the picture to post it here.

I am pretty sure that is it.

Thanks for the list, I should be starting the LIM gasket change soon...but I'm a little nervous...I've searced for about 40 min and couldn't find an actual walkthrough on the LIM gasket change. If anyone knows a link to one or can write one up for me I would be very thankful.

a couple questions I also have
-engine/ brake clean
Is there a specific brand that I could be using? Or can I just walk into napa and ask for some?
Do you mean foot pounds?
Any specific brand?
-LIM gasket kit from GM
What exactly comes in that kit? Can I just get it from napa or some other autoparts store or will I have to order it direct from GM?

Also I've heard that you need to bleed the air out of the coolant system before you refill with new coolant...how exactly do I do that?

Thanks for the help, I want to get this right the first time and I'm determined not to let it turn into a horror story. I also will be taking pictures during the entire removal and installation for future walkthroughs (unless it has already been done on this site).