Syntectic oil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Syntectic oil

aumax
02-27-2006, 03:23 AM
When you change the conventional oil for syntectic oil do you have to do something special or just empty the old oil and put the new syntectic oil with a new filter!!!

coupe
02-27-2006, 05:37 AM
Thats all i do to my vehicles. Out with the old in with the new.

slowbird
02-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Thats all i do to my vehicles. Out with the old in with the new.

Same.

freakydeaky
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
if you've been using conventional oil for a while, it may not be a good idea to change... conv oil has solvents that adhere to gaskets causing them to swell in certain ways, these gaskets over the years become to "rely" on conv oil, and switching to synthetic could be harmful... the syn oil will also have solvents/additives, different from what the gaskets have grown used to, and in turn could lead to possible oil leak(s)

after reading up on this, i still switched to synthetic... no probs as of now

Mike Jung
02-27-2006, 11:27 AM
1st synthetic oil change interval:

Don't run it too long; like extended oil change intervals.
Check the oil level semi-frequently.

As you synthetic oil might be doing a little cleaning in your engine.

But it depends on what "synthetic" motor oil that you are using.
As not all them are the same (example: hydrocracked dino base oil, EOP base oil (new Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil), PAO base oil, or Ester base oil).

coupe
02-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I switched my truck over to syn at around 125K miles. It already had a small oil leak, it hasnt gotten any worse though after switching.

Metallman56
02-27-2006, 12:36 PM
heres a question not to get off topic but. . . i heard that you are not suppost to put synthetic in a new engine. if thats true then why do vipers and vettes come with moble 1 already in them?

GrahamKracka
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
i dunno about vipers, but from what i hear vette engines are broken in from the factory

Metallman56
02-27-2006, 01:05 PM
like the engine allready has over 3k miles on it when you buy it. that kinda sucks.

Malaclypse
02-27-2006, 01:43 PM
No, the engines aren't run near that long... but most of the ring seating happens very very quickly on newer cars. There is still some ring seating that needs to be done but that happens over a much longer period of time.

From what I've heard alot of engine builders say, if the car came with synthetic from the factory, dump it for conventional until at least 3k miles.

Metallman56
02-27-2006, 01:48 PM
see that doesnt make sense to me. dont get me wrong i am not trying to p*ss off anyone or anything. why would they put in sythetic if its bad for the engine overall? and its not just chevy and dodge, porsche, aston martin and there is anther one i cant think of also comes with mobile 1. so why would companys do that? i mean if your going to sell a car, usually the f*cking flagship, why would you hurt the motor like that?

aumax
02-27-2006, 03:24 PM
O K i gues i will make the swich since my engine as only 30k and no leaks yet!!!

digitalballz
02-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Even the most basic oil nowadays is almost considered a "semi" synthetic. They have been refined so much that there as good as "semi" synthetic.

Metallman56
02-27-2006, 09:19 PM
oh by the way if your going to pay that much for oil i would do a little research. personally i went with royal purple and i must say i will never switch to any other oil in any car i ever own.

Panacea
02-27-2006, 09:58 PM
i dunno about vipers, but from what i hear vette engines are broken in from the factory

I have been told that as well.