Guage/electrical gurus...need help. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Guage/electrical gurus...need help.

coupe
02-27-2006, 05:55 AM
Okay i have to first start off by sayin im no electrical master. I have NEVER wired anything in my life, so all terms used and tools used i am new to.
I have FINALY started to wire up my autometer guages (long story on why they werent but thats not the point of this thread). Yesturday i wired up my trans temp gauge (test plug was alot of fun lol). Well i finished and started my car to see if what i did worked. Well the only thing that happens is the needle moves a tad, but thats it. I only ran the car for 5 minutes so my trans may not have gotten hot to actually read anything, is that possible?
The other problem is the backlight isnt coming on. The instructions say to tap off the gray dimmer wire and run the wire up to the gauge pod and connect it to the "black wires". The thing i noticed is there isnt "black wires" there is a white AND black wire. So i just connected it to the black wire, i didnt do anything with the white wire. Could this be why my back light isnt coming on? What do i do with this white wire? . Also i took out my fog light "panel" and gave it to my brother so he could put a switch in it for my angle eye fogs. Could this be why my backligfht isnt coming on? becuase the dimmer is disconected?
Finding a ground was a pain becuase i dont have that bolt that the instructions show.

http://www.grandamgt.com/transtemp.html

http://www.grandamgt.com/gaugelighting.html

coupe
02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Okay. So the guage itself has a "ground" and the light also has a "ground"?
So is the white wire a ground for the light?

coupe
02-27-2006, 07:13 AM
Someone has got to know this man, come on guys help an oldie out.

H.O. Driver
02-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Its been so long, I am trying to remember. But yes, the gauge and the light need to be grounded, probably why its not coming on. If you hooked it to the grey wire of the dimmer switch, the fog light switch shouldn't matter. If grounding the white wire doesn't make the light work, swith the wires so white/black is ground and white is power. I will have to double check things yet, Kubi and I did them back in 03!

Don't worry on the trans temp gauge, the car didn't get hot enough for the gauge to start reading. My car has to hit 180 before the trans will start to creep past the 100* mark.

coupe
02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
Its been so long, I am trying to remember. But yes, the gauge and the light need to be grounded, probably why its not coming on. If you hooked it to the grey wire of the dimmer switch, the fog light switch shouldn't matter. If grounding the white wire doesn't make the light work, swith the wires so white/black is ground and white is power. I will have to double check things yet, Kubi and I did them back in 03!

Don't worry on the trans temp gauge, the car didn't get hot enough for the gauge to start reading. My car has to hit 180 before the trans will start to creep past the 100* mark.

Im starting to think that may be why. When i get out of work im gonna try that.
Its hard to find a ground. The instructions show a bolt, i dont have that bolt, i dont see anywhere else to ground it either. There is a bolt higher up but the threads from the chasis is painted so i have to probably sand the paint off, such a cramped spot to get my hands into to sand the paint off though.
Good to know about the temp, i was hoping that was the deal.

Jeremy
02-27-2006, 08:52 AM
Trans tempgauge-
GND - Ground
S - Sender
I - 12v+

Light-
white - 12v+ (connect the grey wire from the dimmer switch to this one)
black - ground (connect this with the other ground wire on the gauge, and ground to the chassis)

Another place you can ground to is inside the fuse cover. There's a 7mm screw at the top of the fuse opening. It's the screw here on the right side of the picture.
http://www.grandamgt.com/mod_images/radar/fuseblock.jpg

Also, if you just started the car and the trans is cold, it won't register on the gauge til you're driving for a lil and the fluid warms up.

coupe
02-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Trans tempgauge-
GND - Ground
S - Sender
I - 12v+

Light-
white - 12v+ (connect the grey wire from the dimmer switch to this one)
black - ground (connect this with the other ground wire on the gauge, and ground to the chassis)

Another place you can ground to is inside the fuse cover. There's a 7mm screw at the top of the fuse opening. It's the screw here on the right side of the picture.
http://www.grandamgt.com/mod_images/radar/fuseblock.jpg

Also, if you just started the car and the trans is cold, it won't register on the gauge til you're driving for a lil and the fluid warms up.

See that is where im confused. The instructions say connect the black wire to the dimmer. It dont say anything about the white one. So its actually backwards from the instructions.

So the white wire (12V+) is the one that is supposed to be connected to the dimmer (gray wire)? Not the black one.
The black wire i connect to the other ground on the guage (can i just use an inline connector?) and find a good ground?

coupe
02-27-2006, 09:28 AM
This is what makes it confusing.
From the instructions.

Gently remove the wiring harness from the dimmer switch. With the harness removed, I used an inline wire tap to connect a 14 gauge wire lead to the dimmer circuit. The dimmer circuit is the GRAY wire in the harness. I then ran that wire up to the gauge pod and connected the lead to the black wires on the gauge lamps.

You are sure its the white wire that is supposed to be connected to the dimmer? Not the black wire?

Jeremy
02-27-2006, 10:35 AM
doh, my bad. yes, it's the white wires. typo on my part. I fixed the instruction files.

coupe
02-27-2006, 10:47 AM
doh, my bad. yes, it's the white wires. typo on my part. I fixed the instruction files.

Hey man no problem. If it wasnt for your instructions i wouldnt be as far along as i am right now. I think im doing pretty good though. 2 days ago i didnt even know what a wire stripper, crimper, conectors etc even where lol
Cant waite to get home and fix this!

H.O. Driver
02-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Hey man no problem. If it wasnt for your instructions i wouldnt be as far along as i am right now. I think im doing pretty good though. 2 days ago i didnt even know what a wire stripper, crimper, conectors etc even where lol
Cant waite to get home and fix this!
Just think, that is easy wiring compared to some stuff on the GA ;) A general rule of thumb for things is if its black or colored with a black stripe wire, its normally a ground. However, GM likes to make things difficult and not follow general rules of wiring. When I has the harness in the engine bay open, there are like 3 shades of colors and its really confusing. lol

coupe
02-27-2006, 01:29 PM
Just think, that is easy wiring compared to some stuff on the GA ;) A general rule of thumb for things is if its black or colored with a black stripe wire, its normally a ground. However, GM likes to make things difficult and not follow general rules of wiring. When I has the harness in the engine bay open, there are like 3 shades of colors and its really confusing. lol

I actually thought the black wire was the ground but the instructions said different lol That problem is solved though lol I was right.....for a change lol
Im much more confident with wiring now.

Malaclypse
02-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Where did you mount the temperature sender for the gauge? Did you use the Autometer mounting block and splice into the trans cooler lines?

The reason I ask is because if you don't mount the temperature sender to a part of the vehicle that's in the ground loop it won't register a temp at all. To combat that just get a ring terminal big tnough to fit on the big end of the sender and run a wire to ground from there. Almost anywhere works in this case since you're under the hood.

coupe
02-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Where did you mount the temperature sender for the gauge? Did you use the Autometer mounting block and splice into the trans cooler lines?

The reason I ask is because if you don't mount the temperature sender to a part of the vehicle that's in the ground loop it won't register a temp at all. To combat that just get a ring terminal big tnough to fit on the big end of the sender and run a wire to ground from there. Almost anywhere works in this case since you're under the hood.

I have no idea what your sayin.
I just did what the instructions said to do.

GAGTS03
02-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Dude, Why dont you just call me? I'll help ya out, I'm free tonite and if you need any assistance I could provide some knowledge.

coupe
02-27-2006, 04:10 PM
Dude, Why dont you just call me? I'll help ya out, I'm free tonite and if you need any assistance I could provide some knowledge.

Sorry man im just workin on it when i get the time or im in the mood to mess with it.

coupe
02-27-2006, 04:12 PM
OK i did everything that we discussed in this thread and i still have no light. Also my dash lights arent coming on either. My idiot lights are on but not the speedo and rpm. Im gonna put the dimmer back in and see if that is why.
Im getting a bit disceraged here.

GAGTS03
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Put your dimmer back in thats the problem I believe, and then double check your fuses (right fuse panel) should be the instrument and interior ones, check those 2

coupe
02-28-2006, 04:50 AM
I got light!
It was the dimmer. I slapt it back on and i now have light.
Thanks guys!!!
2 more to go lol

coupe
03-02-2006, 05:51 AM
All 3 gauges up and runing!
Im so geeked!
I actually wired something and it worked!!

The air fuel one is confusing me a little. When i turn the car off one of the lights stays on, its one of the yellow ones in the stoich area, is that supposed to stay on?

iceman
03-02-2006, 05:58 AM
The air fuel one is confusing me a little. When i turn the car off one of the lights stays on, its one of the yellow ones in the stoich area, is that supposed to stay on?

Sounds like you wired its power to a constant, not switched source... Fix it or find your jumper cables..

Must be a red GA thing, schweppe did the same thing lol

coupe
03-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Sounds like you wired its power to a constant, not switched source... Fix it or find your jumper cables..

Must be a red GA thing, schweppe did the same thing lol

Where do i find a switched source then? The instructions dont say anything about a switched source.

Oh yeah i just put in a yellow top optima D34/78. Its gonna take along time for that little LED to drain my battery lol

coupe
03-02-2006, 06:16 AM
This is all it says.

All that remains for the install is to supply the gauge with a switched 12volt supply and a solid ground. I chose to ground mine to a chassis bolt located just inside the fuse box. And the 12 volt switched circuit for my trans temp gauge.

So do i tap it into the fog wire? The gray one? I dont know if i have much more room to add another inline connector.

iceman
03-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Man, you weren't kiddin about bein a n00b with this lol

Switched source = something that is on when the car is on.. off the top of my head on the driver's side fuse panel, you can use the windows, turn lamps, etc.. on there that is only one with the key being on.. Those will work.

read this
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17957

coupe
03-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Man, you weren't kiddin about bein a n00b with this lol

Switched source = something that is on when the car is on.. off the top of my head on the driver's side fuse panel, you can use the windows, turn lamps, etc.. on there that is only one with the key being on.. Those will work.

read this
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17957

I tried to tell ya i was a nOOb! I think im doin pretty good for not EVER wiring anything in my life. Im learning quick though i think lol
Yeah i read through that and i understand.
The problem is i dont know which wire to tap into, i dont know which wire is for windows or turn lamps etc.
I need someone to tell me which wire to tap into basicly.

iceman
03-02-2006, 06:43 AM
All under basic stuff in that post man..

Where did you get power for the other gauges ?????

It's not that difficult, you are overcomplicating things and not taking time to think things through.. Everything in a car comes down to hooking up a positive and negative wire at some point to complete a circuit, simple as that. Read, comprehend, all the info's been told to ya in this thread already, we can't do much else but come out there, hook it up for you, and drink your beer

coupe
03-02-2006, 06:59 AM
All under basic stuff in that post man..

Where did you get power for the other gauges ?????

It's not that difficult, you are overcomplicating things and not taking time to think things through.. Everything in a car comes down to hooking up a positive and negative wire at some point to complete a circuit, simple as that. Read, comprehend, all the info's been told to ya in this thread already, we can't do much else but come out there, hook it up for you, and drink your beer

I got power to the other gauges from where the instructions said to. I got them from a fuse, basicly just put the end of the wire in the fuse and put the fuse back in. Not the best way from what that thread says BUT its what was in the instructions so thats what i did. It worked for the other guages just not the air/fuel obviously, i mean it works, its just that one little light is stayin on. If it was as simple as negative and positive what i did would have worked, obviously its not that simple.
So i need a switched power source, OK no problem, what wire can i tap into that is a switched power source?
I searched on air/fuel guages and no one has said where they got there switched power source from for their air/fuel guage.

iceman
03-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Ok, well you picked a fuse that is a constant power source.. Move it to something that's switched. Don't have the fuse panel map in front of me, but there's definitely stuff on that side that is only on with the car.. windows, turn signals, wipers, stuff like that.

coupe
03-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Ok, well you picked a fuse that is a constant power source.. Move it to something that's switched. Don't have the fuse panel map in front of me, but there's definitely stuff on that side that is only on with the car.. windows, turn signals, wipers, stuff like that.

I really wanna kick myself in the face right now LOL I just realized what you meant when i was in a meeting with my boss lol
The other guages, should those also be on a switched power source? I just pulled a fuse and slapped the wire in, i didnt pay attention to what the fuses where for lol im such an idiot!! GOSH lol
Can you believe i work for an electric company? lol they actually pay me too lol

H.O. Driver
03-02-2006, 07:36 AM
lol, thats awesome Rand! Wire it to the windsheild wipers or radio fuse. That way its only on when the key is on the accessory or on position. I did trans temp with the radio fuse, that way when the car is in the accessory position I can see the temp, so I don't have to cycle the fuel pump and everything to see if the trans has cooled enough at the track.

Don't worry man, you are almost done, just see what fuses you have it hooked up to, you are in the home stretch!

coupe
03-02-2006, 07:43 AM
lol, thats awesome Rand! Wire it to the windsheild wipers or radio fuse. That way its only on when the key is on the accessory or on position. I did trans temp with the radio fuse, that way when the car is in the accessory position I can see the temp, so I don't have to cycle the fuel pump and everything to see if the trans has cooled enough at the track.

Don't worry man, you are almost done, just see what fuses you have it hooked up to, you are in the home stretch!

Hahaha i am gonna do that too then, i didnt even think about that lol Im gonna do the same with the trans temp!
I could have done all 3 guages in a few hours but i have been working on it for a few minutes everyday.

H.O. Driver
03-02-2006, 08:05 AM
Hahaha i am gonna do that too then, i didnt even think about that lol Im gonna do the same with the trans temp!
I could have done all 3 guages in a few hours but i have been working on it for a few minutes everyday.
You are almost as bad as me, it took me 6-months to put in the a-pillar and gauges, oh wait, you are as bad as me ;) lol (note I got the stuff in april, never got to install it till October) I got my CAI in July, put the filter in the air box, put the tubing in and finished the intake in March, lol

coupe
03-02-2006, 08:19 AM
You are almost as bad as me, it took me 6-months to put in the a-pillar and gauges, oh wait, you are as bad as me ;) lol (note I got the stuff in april, never got to install it till October) I got my CAI in July, put the filter in the air box, put the tubing in and finished the intake in March, lol

Im definately worse!
I have had these gauges and my guage pod mounted for almost 2 years and im just now wiring them up, thats why im so excited about it.
I didnt wire them up when i got them becuase i had a water leak coming in from the windshield area and it was gettin all over my fuse box so i didnt want to wire up my guages with that problem. Just before my car went into storage i brought it to coffman auto glass and upholstry and they fixed my water leak. I am just now installing them after it being in storage and that problem fixed for 3 months lol

So far i have completed:
all 3 guages (well i gotta fix this little switched power problem)
Accel coil packs (they are yellow lol)
Put in a yellow top optima D34/78, i had to cut the battery tray to make it fit (way easy with a dremel, 2 minute job tops)
Installed R1 concepts cross drilled and slotted rotors (they look so tits)
Repainted calipers

Things still to do:
Im waiting on my headlights.......again lol
Using LED's up front, turn signal's and parking lamp's (pyro is helping me with that)
Not sure what kind of bulbs im gonna use for the headlights yet, to many conflicting opnions to make a decsision.
Angel eye fogs (my brother is pretty much doing those for me)

I have more bigger mods but im still collecting parts and dont want to say anything till i have all i need and installed, may not be this winter or even spring by the time i get all i need to even start install and i dont want my car down for summer, i want to enjoy her, im sick of driving my truck. So my "bigger mods" might not go in till next winter =(
All LED's

iceman
03-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Don't use the radio, that's a constant... I think there's one labeled PCM ACC on the driver's side that's an accessory if you want.

coupe
03-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Don't use the radio, that's a constant... I think there's one labeled PCM ACC on the driver's side that's an accessory if you want.

Damn i just switched them to the radio one.
Well there is radio acc and then there is another radio fuse. I just hooked my trans temp and air fuel to the radio acc. Seemed to work, that little light isnt on anymore. I hooked my volt meter to the wiper fuse. So should i switch the trans and air fuel to the pcm acc instead? Is the volt meter OK in the wiper fuse?

iceman
03-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Oops, my badd, there is a radio acc over there... I thought only radio batt was on that side. Forgive me, I just woke up lol

Personally, I'd have your trans temp and air fuel on a switched ign not ACC. That stuff is only really necesary to see if the ignition is on. I'd move the voltmeter to the ACC, since you can sit around with your radio on and watch the voltage to see if you need to start the car at any point ;)

coupe
03-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Switched ignition? Is there a fuse for that? I cant run out and check. My car is stored at my freinds house so i cant just run out and look. I stopped there when i got out of work and did the switch real quick.

iceman
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Switched ignition = anything that is on when the car is running.. there's a bunch of fuses like that, wipers, turn lmps, sunroof, windows, etc..

coupe
03-03-2006, 05:17 AM
IC, i thought you meant there is an actual fue labelled that lol
Im fixing it after work today and im DONE with it, thank god.

drumking1721
04-28-2006, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know where to put the Transmission Temperature sender?

coupe
04-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Yup, thats a fun one lol
Hard to explain with words though.
Look in the "how-to's", there is a picture.