Possible traction control problem. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Possible traction control problem.

bigtard
02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
When I turn sharply, my traction control light comes on. It almost always happens when I'm backing out of my carport space, and it often happens when I'm turning into parking spaces at stores. I'm definitely not actually losing traction.

Has anyone else had this problem?

bigtard
02-28-2006, 01:18 AM
P.S. Is there any chance it's related to the transmission problem I describe http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=760200#post760200 ?

coupe
02-28-2006, 07:28 AM
No he has one of 2 problems.
Need new hubs or the sensor is bad or dirty.
Its comin on these cars.
I have the same problem, havent fixed it yet.

Panacea
02-28-2006, 08:27 AM
You may not realize you're losing traction. The system works when one wheel is spinning faster than the other. E.g. you're turing and your right side tire is on a patch of gravel, or when you hit a pot hole. It may be normal, or there may be something wrong.

Take it to the dealer and have them diagnose it.

Pontiac Ninja
02-28-2006, 10:24 AM
There has definitely been some threads about this problem. Search for it, and you should find a wealth of info. before you go to the dealer about it. You'll look pretty smart that way!:)

bigtard
02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
This sounds like my problem: "I have a similar problem, but the lights only come on when I make a sharp turn left or right. Before the trac off and ABS lights come on the Low Trac light comes on, even though my wheels aren't spinning, just turning the wheel lock to lock. Like pulling out of a parking space, I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, Low Trac light comes on, the engine is choked until "traction is regained" then the ABS and trac off light come on." But I don't have problems with the trac OFF light or the ABS light. Only the Low Trac light comes on.

I found other threads that seemed to be about the issue. http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21377&highlight=low+trac never says whether the "solution" worked. Similarly, http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22841&highlight=low+trac doesn't say whether they fixed the problem.

It's furstrating when people get suggestions but then never say whether they worked. I haven't been able to find a thread where someone says they have my problem, they did X, and it worked. I just see a lot of suggestions to replace the hubs and sensors.

bigtard
02-28-2006, 12:11 PM
No he has one of 2 problems.
Need new hubs or the sensor is bad or dirty.
If the sensor is just dirty, can it be cleaned? Or is the solution to both problems replacing the hub and sensor?

Also, if I don't fix the problem, what's the consequence?

eaglesrealm
03-01-2006, 08:02 PM
If the sensor is just dirty, can it be cleaned? Or is the solution to both problems replacing the hub and sensor?

Also, if I don't fix the problem, what's the consequence?

I am not going to be high and mighty and proclaim based on the limited information that it MUST be some specific issue, but it does sure have
symptoms of a failing wheel hub assembly.

Does it come on during a lot of turns? Or just on a rare occassion??

When it occurs, is one of the wheels in a dirt shoulder, or something different?

Our wheel speed sensors are not meant for replacement or even cleaning. You typically need to change the entire hub assy (which has permanently fixed my TC/ABS/SVS light issue. I know you are getting TC only - so it may be something different. Could be hard to diagnose without a code being thrown. Keep in mind, most ABS and TC codes are not read or detected by the simple readers at AutoZone, etc. Dealers or repair shops with upgraded readers can read ABS specific codes.

As for harm of leaving it like it is. Most likely, harm would be spuradic or permanent loss of ABS and/or TC functions. So for me, that is a big deal, as I find ABS/TC to be of tremendous safety value and would not purchase a car without it.
Nor do I like driving such a car for an extended period of time. Your base brakes will continue to function, even with an ABS failure. Manual push-through is required by law.

bigtard
03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Does it come on during a lot of turns? Or just on a rare occassion??

Probably 3/4 of the time when I'm backing out of my parking spot.

When it occurs, is one of the wheels in a dirt shoulder, or something different?

No, it's clean pavement.

Is there a way determine which wheel hub is going bad? I don't want to replace 4 hubs only to find that I just wasted $1000 for nothing.