Clunking Noise in Suspension [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clunking Noise in Suspension

bigtard
02-28-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm having a problem that sounds like this guy's clunking problem: "Its not any major issue cause the car rides perfect on the freeway under all conditions, but my city driving in the morning when Im "quiet" W/ no stereo I hear the damn noise over potholes and minor bumps where the wheel hops a bit." http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?p=586470#post586470

In that case, however, he had modified some of his suspension components. I don't have lowering springs or anything like that. I replaced all 4 struts about 6 weeks ago, and I replaced the tie rod ends about 6 months ago, so I don't think those are the problem. When I had the struts replaced, I asked the mechanic to replace the mounts if they were bad. He didn't replace them, so I assume the mounts were good.

Any suggestions on what it could be?

Exodus
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Bushings. It happens to my car when its cold outside and it friggen' squeaks over every bump:banghead

bigtard
02-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Bushings. It happens to my car when its cold outside and it friggen' squeaks over every bump:banghead
I've never had a problem with squeaking. Did you have any knocking sounds?

Braves299
02-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I have knocking sounds like you are describing in my Trailblazer. I think it MAY have something to do with the lower control arm. I didn't have this problem until I was in an accident a couple of months ago.

99BlkGT
02-28-2006, 06:00 PM
My car has the same problem. I took it to the shop and they said it could be the strut housing, but not to worry about it.

mr03SCT
02-28-2006, 09:34 PM
could be your sway bar links.

bigtard
02-28-2006, 11:56 PM
could be your sway bar links.

Is there any good way to isolate what the problem is? So far there are four suggestions: bushings, strut housing, lower control arm, sway bar links.

puckyou
03-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Had the same problem over time with my strut mount bolts coming loose on the front and allowing the strut rod to "bump" the strut mount causing a clunk over small bumps, potholes etc.

Metallman56
03-01-2006, 07:34 AM
i have the same problem but it seems to happen only when its really cold out. i mean like 32 and under. i have always just thought it was the struts and they were just cold. but i really have no idea. i hope we get an answer in here, i am really interested on what the clank could be. i too have no mods done to my suspension.

Exodus
03-01-2006, 09:49 AM
does it sound kind of like a ping-pong ball bouncing around inside of plastic container? If you can imagine what that sounds like?

Metallman56
03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
mine sounds more like a clank its really hard to explain the noise to you. umm .. . more like a duh dink. the first noise is a little bit lower then the second, and the second is where the clanking really comes from. thats the best i can do.

Metallman56
03-01-2006, 04:09 PM
ok i lied, it doesnt have to be that cold out. maybe only like 40-45, but never the less i am yet to hear it on a warm day.

bigtard
03-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Had the same problem over time with my strut mount bolts coming loose on the front and allowing the strut rod to "bump" the strut mount causing a clunk over small bumps, potholes etc.
Would those have been checked when a mechanic replaces the struts? I had my struts replaced recently. I had the knocking problem before I got the struts replaced, and it's still there.

bigtard
03-01-2006, 05:07 PM
does it sound kind of like a ping-pong ball bouncing around inside of plastic container? If you can imagine what that sounds like?
No, it doesn't sound like that. It sounds more substantial than that. It sounds more like something hard hitting something hard.

GrandAmGT1996
03-01-2006, 06:00 PM
My sisters beater car ('93 Nissan Sentra) also does this...it really bugged me when I had to drive it due to the fact my GA was in the garage. It only comes from the left front tire though.

vin1978
03-02-2006, 12:22 PM

I have the ping-pong ball bouncing around in the plastic container sound coming from the front right of my car and it only happens when it is cold outside.

I would love to get an answer as well, is sounds very much related to what Metallman is saying. I have had my car in a few times, but each time my mechanic says everything looks great and not to worry about it.

Graxall
03-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Pretty sure just about everyon gets this sound to an extend. frozen cold metal hitting each other does make a nice birdy sound lol...unless it sounds like someone is shooting at your car i wudnt worry about it

Metallman56
03-02-2006, 02:42 PM
^^lol thats funny, then maybe you can explain why i didnt hear anything last winter.

bigtard
03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Pretty sure just about everyon gets this sound to an extend. frozen cold metal hitting each other does make a nice birdy sound lol...unless it sounds like someone is shooting at your car i wudnt worry about it

I live in the Phoenix area. It's not cold. I get the noise when it's 115 degrees outside.

Metallman56
03-02-2006, 09:43 PM
really? maybe we have a different problem. sorry for kinda hijacking the thread. does yours just it when you first get in the car or does it matter. also is it constant or seems to go away as you drive?

bigtard
03-03-2006, 06:23 AM
does yours just it when you first get in the car or does it matter. also is it constant or seems to go away as you drive?

It does not go away as I drive. Speed bumps, pot holes, and things like that will cause the noise almost every time.

1hotgagt
03-03-2006, 11:42 AM
there was a tsb for this problem and if i remember correctly its the upper strut mount rubbing on the strut tower and the other noise is the sway bar bushing need to be lubed. i have the tsb's in my car so if you want to no for sure let me know.

bigtard
03-05-2006, 03:14 AM
there was a tsb for this problem and if i remember correctly its the upper strut mount rubbing on the strut tower and the other noise is the sway bar bushing need to be lubed. i have the tsb's in my car so if you want to no for sure let me know.

They could be useful; I'd like to see what I can do to fix the problem.

GA Nightmare
06-19-2006, 08:22 PM
I have this same problem from the right front side. Sounds like my brake pads are rattling around in the caliper when I drive over the smallest bump or pothole. Its very annoying. I also noticed that my caliper on the right, even when properly tightened down is loose. I can physically shake it. The left side doesn't move at all if I grab it and try to shake it. I'm wondering if y problem is just a caliper issue that needs replaced.