Replaced Coil Packs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replaced Coil Packs

RedGrandTour
03-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Ever since I've had this 2001 GA it gives a long extended crank when I start it. Got a tune up with new wires and plugs and the long crank was still there. I ordered some accel replacement coils and installed them. I could not believe it ! The car fired up very quickly and every start up since then. I'm sure new GM coil packs would have done the same thing. What I like though is the smooth acceleration, Like driving it off the show room floor. My 99 GA never had a starting issue. The Accel coils are very nice.

coupe
03-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Hahaha thats great i just installed ACCEL's too along with a yellow top optima D34/78. Its so nice now. At least you can drive yours and see the difference lol
All i can do is fire her up and stand there drinkin my beer lol

Panacea
03-03-2006, 10:25 AM
How much are the coil packs?

coupe
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=grand+am&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=45&y=9

This is where i got mine.
Summit rocks! VERY fast shipping!

RedGrandTour
03-03-2006, 07:50 PM
How much are the coil packs?

Got mine from Summit racing too.
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=grand+am&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp&x=45&y=9
Just so you know the Accel don't sit flush on the plate below due to plastic tabs sticking up to fit the OEM coil packs. There are three that you can simply cut off with a sharp knife. The screws will hold them secure enough.

RedGrandTour
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Hahaha thats great i just installed ACCEL's too along with a yellow top optima D34/78. Its so nice now. At least you can drive yours and see the difference lol
All i can do is fire her up and stand there drinkin my beer lol

What do you mean? Can't drive it ?

coupe
03-04-2006, 08:54 AM
What do you mean? Can't drive it ?

Its in storage and on jack stands. Winter isnt over yet so im not taking it off the jackstands yet. Plus i have a bunch more mods i have to install and i need it up on the jackstands to install them.

digitalballz
03-04-2006, 01:14 PM
Thats a good price for coils.

ynvmikie
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I know this is an older thread but hey i know how to search.....anyways, when you guys install the Accel coil packs did you replace the wireset also. I just hit 90K and still have the OEM wires. Any recommendations? thinking about changing both at once.

ViperGTSR
05-18-2006, 08:19 PM
"Got a tune up with new wires and plugs and the long crank was still there. I ordered some accel replacement coils and installed them."

pick up a universal ACCEL wire set, like 50 bucks or something. Although, be prepared to swear A LOT when making your own spark plugs, but its a good knowledge enhancer

lone_wolf025
05-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I know this is an older thread but hey i know how to search.....anyways, when you guys install the Accel coil packs did you replace the wireset also. I just hit 90K and still have the OEM wires. Any recommendations? thinking about changing both at once.

Replace the wires while you're at it and if the plugs haven't been changed either you might want to change them too depending on their condition.

coupe
05-19-2006, 06:11 AM

If it where me i would put in new coil packs, plugs and wires.
Might as well, your already in there.

timka86
09-16-2006, 11:58 PM
old thread i know, but...

you guys with accel coils, which wires are you using? I have the 8mm taylor wires, and they're too thin. I was in need of replacing the coils, so i went with the accel, and it screwed everything up. When accelerating, the thing backs fires like mad, i get popping out of the exhaust, from under the hood, no power, and it feels like it wants to die.

so i popped the hood at night, and VIOLA i got spark flying from wire to wire, when revving of course. The wires only have 3000 miles on them. they're three months old.defective coils, or defective wires? or wires to thin (which is what i think).

i returned the accels and got new stockers and everything is cool now.

99GTCoupe
09-17-2006, 12:05 AM
Yes, sorry to chime in, but I recently replaced the plugs and wires with GM High Performance ones, and would they be fine with these coilpacks? Also, would there be any point in replacing the stock ones with these? Just want to know my current options :)

ihatemygrandamg
09-17-2006, 12:13 AM

you guys with accel coils, which wires are you using? I have the 8mm taylor wires, and they're too thin. I was in need of replacing the coils, so i went with the accel, and it screwed everything up. When accelerating, the thing backs fires like mad, i get popping out of the exhaust, from under the hood, no power, and it feels like it wants to die.

so i popped the hood at night, and VIOLA i got spark flying from wire to wire, when revving of course. The wires only have 3000 miles on them. they're three months old.defective coils, or defective wires? or wires to thin (which is what i think).

You hooked up one of your wires to the wrong cylinder. My friend accidentally did that to mine after I installed my ported uim and 1/2 spacers. I thought I had messed something up,lol.

timka86
09-17-2006, 08:53 AM
You hooked up one of your wires to the wrong cylinder. My friend accidentally did that to mine after I installed my ported uim and 1/2 spacers. I thought I had messed something up,lol.

it would have idled poorly if that were the case, and it idled just fine. I checked the wiring, it's after about 3000RPM that it was going that. spark shouldn't be flying from wire to wire, even if it was wired wrong.

ihatemygrandamg
09-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Well after I finally got my car started and the rpms were jumpy for a minute it actually idled fine after that. Just the exhuast was really loud and when I gave it gas it popped like crazy. Then tried to drive it and it was REALLY sluggish, Id give it half throttle and go like no more than 15mph. Idk just a thought

RedGrandTour
09-17-2006, 07:32 PM

Same thing happened to me the first time. It didn't back fire though, just felt like a slipping gear. Maybe the severity depends on the cylinder.

RedGrandTour
09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
it would have idled poorly if that were the case, and it idled just fine. I checked the wiring, it's after about 3000RPM that it was going that. spark shouldn't be flying from wire to wire, even if it was wired wrong.

Where did you purchase the coil pack? I got mine from..... summitracing. They packed those things super tight with lots of bubble wrap and foam. No problem with my installed wires or coil pack. Car started and ran smooth like butter with 109,000miles

timka86
09-17-2006, 10:39 PM
Where did you purchase the coil pack? I got mine from..... summitracing. They packed those things super tight with lots of bubble wrap and foam. No problem with my installed wires or coil pack. Car started and ran smooth like butter with 109,000miles

I got the same ones as summitracing sells, but from a local store(Murrays). cost me only a few dollars more, but the nice thing was it was easy to return them.

Sprucegagt
09-18-2006, 07:29 AM

When you can see the spark jumping from wire to wire, then it means your plug wires are bad. There was nothing wrong with the coil packs. The stock coil packs fixed your problem for now because they operate at slightly less output voltage than the Accel packs.

99GTCoupe
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
erm? anyone on my question? :D