Passlock sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock sensor

JuliesGT1
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Got in my daughter's 01 Grand Am and it wouldn't start. Noticed the security light stayed on, not flashing just on. Did the 10 min wait and the relearn thing and it stayed on. So I go get a Passlock sensor and put it in. I cranked it a couple rounds and let the key go and I get the flashing security light. So I wait till it goes out. Turned it off and tried to start it and it still won't run. Except now when you let go of the key the security light goes out . It doesn't flash or stay on it just goes out until you turn it off and back on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mike

nascarnate326
03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
I dont know, but im having my own passlock nightmare. Anyone know how to turn passlock off? And where is this sensor. Im so frustrated im thinking about trading it in. Please help us!!!!

JuliesGT1
03-11-2006, 05:50 AM
The passlock sensor is part of the ignition switch. It was $160 at the dealership. It wasn't much trouble to install. They wanted around $250 installed. But I still have the same problem NO FUEL and the security light stays on until I try to crank it. Then it goes off and stays off until you turn the switch off. I ordered a service manual and a code scanner maybe I'll know more when I get them. It's getting personal now LOL.
Mike

nascarnate326
03-11-2006, 05:58 AM
So im thinking turning passlock off would just be best for me. Im gonna look for jbodys today. thats for tryin to help me!

JuliesGT1
03-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Well a $260 fuel pump fixed me right up.

jrjiggy
03-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Hey I had the same problem, I brought it to the dealership they said that the passlock would not recognize my key so they had to order a new part and reinstall everthing, cost me a good couple of hundred dollars

Hot_Stud18
03-24-2006, 05:24 PM
Mine has done the no start thing in the past it actually did it a few days ago but today the light came on and stayed on and now when I shut the car off and start it back up the light still remains lit and wont go out. I can start it right up though with no problem even though the light is on but I am wondering why it just stays lit? The light goes off of course when the car is turned off, it just stays on when I am driving.

I am hoping that the system is damaged and is trying to tell me that the system is no longer functioning so that would mean that my worst loss would be nothing more than the light staying lit, correct? as long as the car starts is all I care about.

I will use the car the next few days and see what it does, if not I have 2 choices #1 get it fixed or #2 get a stripped down 2006 Cobalt for under 14k. As I am getting older all I am looking for is basic transportation and plus I work from home now and I am lucky if I put 30 miles a week on my car:)

coupe
03-25-2006, 07:54 AM
This has been covered, you guys should search it.
9 times out of 10 you need a new ignition cylinder.

Hot_Stud18
03-25-2006, 08:26 AM
This has been covered, you guys should search it.
9 times out of 10 you need a new ignition cylinder.

LOL well we know we need a new ignition cylinder but do we wanna waste time and money getting it done???? Of course not

JuliesGT1
03-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Never heard of one running with the security light on. It will probably wait until you are the farthest from home before it cuts your injectors off. You can try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if it clears.
Mike

coupe
03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
LOL well we know we need a new ignition cylinder but do we wanna waste time and money getting it done???? Of course not

You have no other choice chief.

coupe
03-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Never heard of one running with the security light on. It will probably wait until you are the farthest from home before it cuts your injectors off. You can try disconnecting the battery for a little while and see if it clears.
Mike

You dont know much about this problem then.
Yes the car will run with the light on, no it will not cut the engine off after its started and the light is still on.
I have had this problem for 3 years, i know all about it. Im just lazy to fix it.

teamhughes
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM
im having the same problem, my sercurity light is on, i replaced the ignition switch or sensor whatever it is, still the light is on, i asked gm motors and i guess they gotta do some computer thing so hopefully that works or i should try this passlock sensor...so what is this passlock sensor if someone could tell me maybe this is only my problem

Kodeblue
08-06-2011, 10:56 AM
My light is also staying on. I have had the light flash and not start before so I would have to wait the 10 min and reset. After a few years of this, the light has stayed on for about 6 months. My wife was driving home a couple weeks back and the car just shut down on her. When I went to get the car, it fired right up and I was on my way............for about 2 mmiles before it shut down again. it has not fired up since. I know there is fuel because I pushed that pin on the fuel rail and it came out. I did the security mod and for some reason, that did not do a thing. I finally gave up on it and bought a Grand Prix. The GA sits in my drive way to be parted out now and she has over 315 000 km on it.

drakesrevenge
08-06-2011, 09:06 PM
bypass the passlock! take it to somebody that installs remote starters, they can do it. or search this site a little more, it's been covered alot of times here, as we've all (me included) have had this problem. theres even a forum that discusses how to fix it yourself, if so inclined. good luck! (by the way, dealerships are always going to try to replace your ignition switch although it won't fix the problem forever......it will come back.

Y2KGA
08-07-2011, 11:50 AM
bypass the passlock! take it to somebody that installs remote starters, they can do it. or search this site a little more, it's been covered alot of times here, as we've all (me included) have had this problem. theres even a forum that discusses how to fix it yourself, if so inclined. good luck! (by the way, dealerships are always going to try to replace your ignition switch although it won't fix the problem forever......it will come back.

The reason that the passlock problem always comes back after replacing the switch is because the problem is with the connection, not the sensor.

The passlock signal is sent through the three pins at the back of the switch. Over time they get tarnished and that alters the signal. When the switch is replaced, the connection is scraped clean and makes a better connection. Of course the tarnish will come back and your back where you started from.

In 2006 I had the no start condition and had the dealer replace the switch.
In 2009 the problem occured again. Since then, whenever the security light turns on, I take out the switch and replace it a few times to clean the connection. The whole process takes me about 20 minutes. This usually works for close to a year. Since I started doing this, I haven't had a no start happen. I know its time to do it again when the light comes on while driving.

Although its a temporary solution, its better than paying to have a remote starter installed (unless you want one) and its certainly better than paying for a new cylinder. It also leaves the passlock system intact so you have some protection incase some ever tries to steal it.

Kodeblue
08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Since then, whenever the security light turns on, I take out the switch and replace it a few times to clean the connection. The whole process takes me about 20 minutes.

Is there a how to on this? i would like to try it before I get rid of the car.

Y2KGA
08-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Is there a how to on this? i would like to try it before I get rid of the car.

If your car is stalling out after 2 minutes its probably not passlock. It will only prevent a car from starting. It doesn't shut the car down.

If you have disabled passlock by cutting the wires, removing the switch won't do anything since its removed from the passlock circuit. Try checking the connections at the BCM.

FWIW to remove/replace the switch, you first remove the bezel around the radio. Remove the screws that hold the radio in place. Put the key in the ignition and turn it to "ON". Take a small L shaped hex tool and put it in the small hole in the dash on the lower right side of the lock switch. Put your other hand in the radio hole to guide the hex tool to the release tab on the cylinder. There are pictures in the "how to" forums.

drakesrevenge
08-07-2011, 02:32 PM
The reason that the passlock problem always comes back after replacing the switch is because the problem is with the connection, not the sensor.

The passlock signal is sent through the three pins at the back of the switch. Over time they get tarnished and that alters the signal. When the switch is replaced, the connection is scraped clean and makes a better connection. Of course the tarnish will come back and your back where you started from.

In 2006 I had the no start condition and had the dealer replace the switch.
In 2009 the problem occured again. Since then, whenever the security light turns on, I take out the switch and replace it a few times to clean the connection. The whole process takes me about 20 minutes. This usually works for close to a year. Since I started doing this, I haven't had a no start happen. I know its time to do it again when the light comes on while driving.

Although its a temporary solution, its better than paying to have a remote starter installed (unless you want one) and its certainly better than paying for a new cylinder. It also leaves the passlock system intact so you have some protection incase some ever tries to steal it.

nobody said get a remote starter installed, you can get it BYPASSED by somebody that INSTALLS remote starters. sorry for the confusion. i had them do it because i don't have the skills to try and solder the resistor between the wires.