Help! My windows are going in reverse direction! (Regulator install) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Help! My windows are going in reverse direction! (Regulator install)

LukeD
03-06-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm in the middle of my driver's side front door regulator install and I'm sitting here testing it and they roll up when you press down, and they go down when you press up. I know my regulator is right side up and the plugs only go in one way. Also possibly related, now my door doesn't lock from that switch, it only will unlock. The passenger door lock works for all doors and so does the key fob.

NorKoastal
03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Is it the switches or something in the door crossed up.. I hit ebay up for my window switch... Came with all the buttons.. I just swapped the window switches out and I was good to go... Luke I might be ditchen the GA... Looking for $8-8500 in case you know anybody who might want it..

LukeD
03-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Hmm I don't know how the switches could get crossed up, all the plugs are different sizes and only go in one way. The switch used to work too. I don't know how it could switch to going in reverse.

Actually I have a friend I've been trying to get into a GA for a while, he needs a first car but I don't think he's looking to spend that much. Maybe I could convince my dad to get it, he is going to be needing a different car now too. I'm not sure he's ready to buy now though. I got PowerTuner support for the 2000 as well, so I could even tinker with that.

Are you planning on parting it out? Any idea on what you might be replacing it with?

LukeD
03-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Update:

I think the regulator I got was posessed lol.

First, I found that whatever switch was installed and connected to the motor was in backwards. To test it, I pulled my old motor off, then took it apart to examine it . Then I put it back together, and put it on the new window regulator assembly. For some odd reason it actually worked. I thought it was the motor that actually goes out on those things. After all none of my plastic clips were broken, the window had just stopped trying to move.

Second, I had that lock problem. My driver's side door would power unlock but not power lock. I figured my temporary solution would be to swap the switch with the passenger side until I could get another. At least the driver would have locking control.

Third, by this time I'm ready to start my car but my battery is dead cause I've had my door open and running my window up and down all evening. Plus it was semi dark in my garage so my car's lights were on. I didn't think to pull the ebrake to keep them off. So I jump start the car. Then when I started the car, the trunk automatically popped! I tried it again. It did it again. Closed the trunk and took off for a little drive to recharge the battery. After driving around a bit, I tried the locks and noticed that both the locks worked perfectly! Also when I got back, I turned off the car then on again, and no more trunk popping! Very strange, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that trunk, just in case the problem decides to come back.

I probably had the sites longest regulator install. 5 hours! lol

Probably some of the site's weirdest problems too.

Y2KGA
03-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Update:

I think the regulator I got was posessed lol.

First, I found that whatever switch was installed and connected to the motor was in backwards. To test it, I pulled my old motor off, then took it apart to examine it . Then I put it back together, and put it on the new window regulator assembly. For some odd reason it actually worked. I thought it was the motor that actually goes out on those things. After all none of my plastic clips were broken, the window had just stopped trying to move.

Second, I had that lock problem. My driver's side door would power unlock but not power lock. I figured my temporary solution would be to swap the switch with the passenger side until I could get another. At least the driver would have locking control.

Third, by this time I'm ready to start my car but my battery is dead cause I've had my door open and running my window up and down all evening. Plus it was semi dark in my garage so my car's lights were on. I didn't think to pull the ebrake to keep them off. So I jump start the car. Then when I started the car, the trunk automatically popped! I tried it again. It did it again. Closed the trunk and took off for a little drive to recharge the battery. After driving around a bit, I tried the locks and noticed that both the locks worked perfectly! Also when I got back, I turned off the car then on again, and no more trunk popping! Very strange, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that trunk, just in case the problem decides to come back.

I probably had the sites longest regulator install. 5 hours! lol

Probably some of the site's weirdest problems too.

When the old regulator died did it make any noises when trying to roll the window up and down?

coupe
03-07-2006, 11:07 AM
My trunk popped open once too for some odd reason.
Oh yeah and when doing electrical work unhook your negative battery cable, save yourself from having to jump it when your done lol

DrFabulous
03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Sucks. I hate electrical stuff sometimes.

Kinda OT, but not so.... my plastic clips are broken on my drivers side, and the dealer said I would have to order the whole regulator.... uhhhh... how about just the clips?

Y2KGA
03-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Sucks. I hate electrical stuff sometimes.

Kinda OT, but not so.... my plastic clips are broken on my drivers side, and the dealer said I would have to order the whole regulator.... uhhhh... how about just the clips?

The clips are supposed to be available for around $40 from the dealer. However you can buy a whole new regulator for around $60 on ebay.

LukeD
03-07-2006, 05:04 PM
GMpartsdirect.com also sells the clips right?

Yeah my window didn't make any noises before it died, it started working sporadically though. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't till it finally never came back. It sucked ordering drive through and having to open the door. lol Or when my friends were with me they would order out the back window.

NorKoastal
03-07-2006, 05:11 PM
Hmm I don't know how the switches could get crossed up, all the plugs are different sizes and only go in one way. The switch used to work too. I don't know how it could switch to going in reverse.

Actually I have a friend I've been trying to get into a GA for a while, he needs a first car but I don't think he's looking to spend that much. Maybe I could convince my dad to get it, he is going to be needing a different car now too. I'm not sure he's ready to buy now though. I got PowerTuner support for the 2000 as well, so I could even tinker with that.

Are you planning on parting it out? Any idea on what you might be replacing it with?

If I decide to part it would only be the... CAI, DHP, the aeroforce gauge, my headlights, rims and my stereo... The spoiler is tacked on pretty good so thats staying..... I cant decide on a replacement.. The Maximas look nice, but are a little more than what I feel like.. Something around 18K sounds about right..