Broken Caliper? or Normal? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken Caliper? or Normal?

juanvan
03-10-2006, 07:07 AM
I changed my brakes about 6 months ago. Now the outer pad on both sides is gone. Heard the chirpers this morning. When I was changing out the drivers axle the other weekend, I noticed the pads wearing funny. The read pads are not wearing at all on either side. I have painted the calipers 2 years ago, but the other pads I had on wore fine.

The last set I had on it lasted a year + towing a 1000bl trailer to and from FL once, plus it was the most miles I ever put on my car in a single year. Driving 1500 miles a week to and from work for 4 months.

Did I just get a pair of crap pads, or is my calipers going due to paint that I don't see on the rubber boots?

Has anyone else had this?

coupe
03-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Never heard such a thing. Dont know how the paint would make it do that.

freeze12
03-10-2006, 07:32 AM
I just changed My front pads as the inner pads on both sides were worn dowm to nothing & the outer pads were like new & the inner parts of the rotors were trashed. Knock it up to a crappy N Body braking system.My pads & rotors were only 1 1/2 yrs old. "Raybestos Ceramic pads"

action
03-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Did you clean and lube the sliders with caliper grease??? If you dont know what this is I suggest that's your problem. I doubt the paint damaged your caliper, its still working for it to wear either of the pads, I'd say the sliders are seized and need to be replaced or cleaned real well.

People that dont know how to work on and service brakes PROPERLY shouldnt be allowed to work on them, it dangerous to other drivers. Its NEVER just throwing on a set of pads. My car has 155000 kms on it and it always wears the pads evenly so its not the design. The design flaw was that the ****ty factory rotors were too thin. My last 2 sets of rotors never warped, and they wore down to min spec.

juanvan
03-10-2006, 07:49 AM
I did lube the sliders the last time I changed the pads. maybe there is execess in the holes. I was thinking off the top of my head on the paint. lol every angle.

How would you go about cleaning them. Accatone? I used multi-purpose gease last time. kinda thick, good for bearings.. Is there another kind of grease I should be using?

So if the sliders are not losing then the front pad would keep pressed to the rotor.

Well this is not tooo bad.. kinda sucks though at least the pad are only 40 bucks :-D

action
03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
There's your probelm, multipurpose grease has cooked into a solid sticky mass and gummed up the sliders.

You HAVE to know to use extreme high heat CALIPER grease. Go to an auto parts store and ask for the right stuff. I've heard horror stories of what people try to use on sliders....think of how much heat there is right on the caliper?!?!?

Your pretty much driving a car with 1/2 its braking force.....very dangerous.

juanvan
03-10-2006, 08:49 AM
yeah that is!!! b/c i love to go 100 at times... Ugh ok well that sucks, I will be getting the right grease today when I go out... Thanks for the info

action
03-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Use some brake clean to clean the old stuff off the calipers and out of the hole that they slide into. Its easier to do this with the caliper mounting bracket off the car, and a small stiff brush to get right into the hole.

juanvan
03-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Well i took the wheel off.. and well there are NO caliper bolts now.. goes on the FU suction today b/c my 2 local auto shops do not have them. Fen dealer crap now..
UGH!

digitalballz
03-10-2006, 05:31 PM
thank god I dont live around you!

juanvan
03-11-2006, 07:06 AM
I have the mitus touch when it comes to screwing up, it may be broke, but be damned if it still works! lol