Gutting cat. Methods? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Gutting cat. Methods?

zegoldfish
03-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I did do a search on this but couldn't really find even the most simple how-to.

First, do I need to remove the cat from the exhaust entirely to gut it? If so, what gaskets, if any, will I need to replace?

Secondly, what are some of the tried and true methods to gut the cat? In my searching I saw a few suggestions where people just stick any kind of rod in the cat and break up the honeycomb and dump it out. Also read where some people had just beat the hell out of while it was still attatched to the car and revved between pummelings to blow the honeycomb out. What's the most effective method?

Emmission tests aren't a problem since I live in Kentucky and I'm not concerned with exhaust sound or power (since I basically have none at this point anyway), I'm just looking for a quick, cheap, temporary fix.

Anyone who's gutted their cat please throw some help my way.

zegoldfish
03-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Nothing? Oh well, here goes nothing.

KeyserSosa2000
03-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Emmission tests aren't a problem since I live in Kentucky and I'm not concerned with exhaust sound or power (since I basically have none at this point anyway), I'm just looking for a quick, cheap, temporary fix.

I don't understand why you're gutting your cat at all. I'm sure people on this site have done it before, just be patient.

If you are going to remove your cat to clean it out anyway, why not just remove it, keep it intact and just weld a pipe onto your exhaust in it's place. That way if you want you still have a cat to go back to.

I don't know if this a suitable solution but I'm still puzzled as to why you would do it in the first place.

zegoldfish
03-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Guess I should have been more specific. I'm having major power problems and I'm almost positive its due to a seriously clogged cat. I've seen this on my friends 4runner. It had absolutely no power and the cat was so clogged it was glowing orange after driving a few miles.

As for welding a pipe, sure, if I had a welder I'd just cut the bitch off and weld up a pipe, but since I don't, this is my best solution for the least amount of money.