ignition switch problem! HELP please! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch problem! HELP please!

matt shauf
03-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Well, I was putting in new carpet this weekend and I had the key turned on in the ignition to the acc spot, so i could listen to the radio while i was doing it. In the process of removing the center console, the console got cought on the bezel that goes around the radio and keys. It ripped the keys right out of the ignition while they were still in the acc position. Everything stayed on like the keys were still in. So, I put the keys back in and turned the ignition switch off, and continued working. Well, when I was done I went to start the car and the ignition switch is STUCK in the off position (it won't turn at all). I called the pontiac garage and they told me I needed a lock cylinder (the electrical part of the ignition switch), So I went and picked one up at autozone. Today I went to install it. When I put the ignition switch together it turned fine. I installed it in the car and it still worked fine, but my battery was dead. So I put the jumper cables on and went to start the car and the damn thing locked in the off position AGAIN! At this point I was ready to throw a brick through the windshield!!! DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?

The best part about it is, I got new carpet in, and the sunroof is open and the windows are down. Now I can't shut the sunroof or the windows and it rained all weekend. got plastic? HELP PLEASE

laxjax13
03-14-2006, 05:47 PM
had the same problem took it to the dealer and they fixed it for me. paid the $50 deductible for my warranty thats it.

otherwise the cylinder was $174 from the dealer

digitalballz
03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
cylinder needs to be coded to work right.