Blinking lights [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blinking lights

WeibSunder
03-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi, I was wondering what the problem could be....but when I hit my brake pedal, every single light inside my car including headlights blink real quick, every single time I hit the brakes...and if I am holding the brakes and turn on a turn signal, they blink again, and when this happens, I do not have my amp turned on all I'm running is my regular lights, and fog lights...I belive that it has something to do with one of my tail lights, but I'm not sure, any help will be much appreciated.

pyro
03-15-2006, 10:49 AM
like they dim? probably bad alternator or battery.

Kdawg207
03-15-2006, 10:58 AM
^ yeah
do they blink (on and off) or just dim to the same rythym as yur turn signal etc

WeibSunder
03-17-2006, 12:26 PM
they don't even dim...they just blink when I hit the brakes. Just blinks real fast, you have to really look to notice it. But when it does happen, every light blinks, my headlights, my dome light, my dash lights, my little neons I have under my dash, everything.

action
03-17-2006, 12:59 PM
First eliminate the easy stuff, check every exterior bulb on your car to ensure they are all working, especially the brake light bulbs (2 in each tail light-3 in the CHMSL) all singnal bulbs (2 each tail) and all park lights.

If they are all working, pull out the 2 tail lights and remove the board that the bulbs fit into, there was a problem in these cars of corrosion on this board.

Bulbs can do funny things when they burn out, a tungsten brake filament can fall accross the park filament backfeeding voltage through the bulb and the rest of the lights on the circuit with the park lights. Corrosion on a board is worse again.

A simple short circuit in the license plate marker light on my buddies truck would blow the park light fuse killing all park lights and dash lighting, but the dome light would come on with the headlights on.....weird.

WeibSunder
03-18-2006, 07:29 PM
have you heard of anything like this happening else where? Because today, I went to crank my car and CLICK...I was like OH **** and then I waited for my gauges to calm down, and then tried it again, and it sorta cranked up and cut off. So I tried it again and it didn't want to crank so I hit the gas and it reved up and still wanted to cut off so I held the RPM's at about 2000 for a min and let go and it idled just fine. I just hope it's not a BAD BAD problem that will be real expensive to fix. I thank everyone for all your help. Thank you all again.

Mike Jung
03-18-2006, 09:23 PM
have you heard of anything like this happening else where? Because today, I went to crank my car and CLICK...I was like OH **** and then I waited for my gauges to calm down, and then tried it again, and it sorta cranked up and cut off. So I tried it again and it didn't want to crank so I hit the gas and it reved up and still wanted to cut off so I held the RPM's at about 2000 for a min and let go and it idled just fine. I just hope it's not a BAD BAD problem that will be real expensive to fix. I thank everyone for all your help. Thank you all again.
Sounds like a bad battery & maybe also an alternator.

lone_wolf025
03-18-2006, 09:41 PM
There is one simple solution to check both the battery and the alternator. If you have a DVOM you can check the voltage on the batt while the car is running. You should see somewhere around 14.6V or thereabouts and the batt should read around 12.6V. So long as the numbers are somewhere near there you should be ok. Best solution to any car problem is to eliminate the simplest and seemingly dumbest sources first, and from what I've seen posted already you've got some good leads to follow. Keep us posted.

WeibSunder
03-27-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey everyone, I went to auto-zone yesterday and got my battery and altenator checked, the battery had a charge of 10.6 with a load on it and my altenator was putting out NEGATIVE 38.7 amps...yes I said NEGATIVE, so I went today and got a new one and put it on, everything seems to be fine now...thank you everyone for all your help. I love this place!