93 grand am problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 93 grand am problems

packen
03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
1993 grand am 2.3 SOHC. I bought this car with a cracked head. I put a new head on and now have many problems. First off, there is a noise in the motor, it sounds like lifters or something in that area, but if I turn the steering wheel, the noise stops. When I let off the steering wheel, the noise returns. The power steering pump runs off the cam. I took the power steering belt off but the noise is still there so its not the pump. Other than that, the car seems to run fine, but, I drove it the other day to town, about ten miles, all seemed fine untill I came to a stop sign, as I came to a stop, it shuttered and died. I restarted it and it ran fine. I then parked the car for a minute, tried to restart and it wouldn't. It acted like the battery was low. I retried a while later and it started right up. Next I drove it home, I stopped in front of my house, it shuttered and died. (if I drive for short distances, it doesn't die when I stop, it seems to run fine). This time it would not start. I put the battery charger on it and it started right up. Some times it does that and sometimes it starts fine. I can charge the battery and it will hold a charge, it just doesn't want to start after I have been driving for a while.
Then there's the problems with the turn signals, some times they work, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes if you turn on one signal, the opposite brake light goes out. Now all of the sudden the abs light and the brake light are on the dash but there doesn't seem to be a problem.
Is there any hope for this thing? Anybody have any suggestions??
Thanks

packen
03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
If the timing chain is off by one tooth could it cause some of these problems?

normal
03-24-2006, 12:03 PM
As far as the shuddering then dying, it sounds like maybe you have a bad connection to the battery or alternator (check your grounds), or maybe the alternator is going out. I think if you start the car then unhook the battery (take off the positive terminal), if the car cuts off right away, then your alternator isn't holding the charge, but i don't know if that is a guarranteed method, someone correct me please. Don't know if that is close to the problem, but my 2 cents.