Memory steer problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Memory steer problem

whiteasysport
03-23-2006, 01:05 AM
I have a high mile 97GAGT and had the struts,mounts and brakes replaced.The mounts were toast but the car tracked straight as an arrow.After the work(done at Monroe) I have a memory steer problem.After a sharp left it pulls that way,after a sharp right it pulls that way.I had some noise with the new struts when cold and turning and shot some PB blaster up there and it quieted them down.

It has gotten a little better had it back to Monroe 3 times,Told them to grease the mount(don't think they did) check all the suspension parts and they say everything is tight.Gave them a right up on memory steer and they said they did all the tests and it checked out OK.Finally they told me to take it somewhere else and if it was anything they did they would fix it.Jerks $1000 and the car does not steer right.

I am at a loss right now just beating it to see if whatever is tight loosens up and sometimes it does track right but like I said after a 90deg turn it will pull that direction till I turn the other way.Any help or tip would be greatly appreciated.

coupe
03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Im confused as hell.
Well yeah your car is gonna keep going the way you turned it until you turn it back, it dont drive itself.
What do you mean "memory stear"?
$1000!?!?!?

Lab Rat
03-23-2006, 09:25 AM
Mine did the same thing for about 1 month then quit. I think the bearing/mount just needed to wear in.

I had been so unhappy with my suspension job that I was gonna pull the struts and try reassembling them. But the "memory steer" and clunk has mostly gone away.

And the bearing/mount needs grease not PB. Hope it works out for ya.

coupe
03-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Can someone fill me in on this "memory steer".
Maybe its just a term ive never heard used or something.

whiteasysport
03-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Mine did the same thing for about 1 month then quit. I think the bearing/mount just needed to wear in.

I had been so unhappy with my suspension job that I was gonna pull the struts and try reassembling them. But the "memory steer" and clunk has mostly gone away.

And the bearing/mount needs grease not PB. Hope it works out for ya.
Thats what I am hoping and feel the same way about the R&R of the strut.I have read some thing that said it may go away on its own too.Glad to hear I am not alone as it is rare.And as I said it does seem to be getting a little better at first it took a lot of effort to keep it going straight now it is somewhat like driving on a road with an excessive crown in either direction. As for an explaination about what it is here ya go:

MEMORY STEER
The steering wheel and wheels want to return to some position other than center. This may cause a steering pull or drift to one side after turning. Possible causes include:

Misalignment or improper installation of Ford rubber bonded socket (RBS) tie rod ends. RBS tie rod ends do not swivel freely like conventional tie rod ends. When installed, the steering linkage must be centered and straight ahead before the tie rod studs are tightened. Inspect and readjust as needed.

Binding in upper strut mounts. Raise wheels and turn the steering from side to side. If effort is high, disconnect tie rod ends from steering arms and turn each wheel by hand to check for resistance. If upper strut mount is binding or loose, the strut will have to removed or rebuilt to replace the upper bearing plate assembly.

Binding in steering gear or linkage. Inspect tie rod ends and sockets. Check idler arm bushing. Check rack yoke adjustment or steering play in steering box. Replace or adjust as needed.

Binding in ball joints. Unload the ball joints by raising the suspension. Let the suspension hang free with MacPherson struts. Support the lower control arm on an SLA, modified strut or wishbone suspension if the spring is on the lower arm, or the upper arm if the spring is over the upper arm). Turn the wheels from side to side to check steering effort. If high, disconnect the tie rod ends and try again. If a ball joint is binding, replacement is required.

Unbalanced power assist. Seal leaks in the control valve or off-center steering may route hydraulic pressure into one side or the other of the boost cylinder piston causing the steering to want to turn itself to one side. This can be checked by raising the wheels with the engine running. If the steering goes to one side all by itself, the control valve assembly or steering gear needs to be replaced.

coupe
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
IC, i have just never heard the term.
I have had my springs and struts in and out a few times and have never had the problem, hope you guys find an answer.