car rough start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car rough start

grandamluva
03-25-2006, 01:56 PM
well i got a 01, grand am se1,
and my car doesnt start right off...
1ce in a while ill get it to pump right out..
sometimes i have to keep the key turning just to get it running...
sometimes i let go n it still doesnt start gotta do it like another times and rare 2ce after, times...
any1 know the situation... my moms does the same thing on her 02..

badboy2451
03-25-2006, 02:01 PM
sounds like ur not lettin the fuel pump prime, turn the key to the on postition and you will hear it, and when the noise stops, start the car and it should be fine

our cars were made like this, no fix for it

dna_dan
03-25-2006, 03:07 PM
"our cars were made like this, no fix for it"

I dunno, I beg to differ. When my 00 was new, it always started right up. As it got older it seemed to take more and more effort to start. At the same time, the damn LIM was leaking more and more. I think the combination of crappy coolant making sludge in the engine, fouling plugs from any seepage into the oil, etc. cause this.

My car has 110K on it and it was overdue for plugs. I replaced my leaking LIM, Plugs and wires with the taylor ones from PFYC. I used the platinum plugs. My car now starts within the first two revolutions of the motor, just as it did when it was new.

I would say if you are around 75K in mileage, I would try replacing the plugs and see if that helps. I did everything at once, so I don't know which component specifically made all the difference. It might be a combination of things.

digitalballz
03-25-2006, 04:56 PM
I know we all use plat plugs nowadays, but I still say change them every 50k. We had a 97 park ave in the shop last week with 98k on the plugs there wasnt a damn thing left on them.

lone_wolf025
03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I know we all use plat plugs nowadays, but I still say change them every 50k. We had a 97 park ave in the shop last week with 98k on the plugs there wasnt a damn thing left on them.

That's why I say forget the maintenance recommendations and pull them out to inspect, clean, and gap them every 30-40k miles or so. Plus I wouldn't want to be the one stuck trying to get those things out if they haven't been touched for almost a 100,000 miles.

Ajaxus
03-25-2006, 06:41 PM
As far as the effort for starting goes, I read up something on here about the starter having issues and needing to be replaced on some cars. The descriptions of this are fairly consistent with what my car does from time to time (just turned over 48k miles). So might the problem also be the starter and not the plugs?

dna_dan
03-25-2006, 11:31 PM
If the engine turns over, it's not the starter. If the engine does turn over but it won't start, you either aren't getting fuel, spark, or something is seriously wrong mechanically.

And damn lonewolf, where were you when I hit 50K?? I had to cut off my stock wires with a razor to get them off, and I am still nursing my busted up knuckles!! Yes 100K on plugs was hell to get them out!

grandamluva
03-26-2006, 09:53 AM
If the engine turns over, it's not the starter. If the engine does turn over but it won't start, you either aren't getting fuel, spark, or something is seriously wrong mechanically.

And damn lonewolf, where were you when I hit 50K?? I had to cut off my stock wires with a razor to get them off, and I am still nursing my busted up knuckles!! Yes 100K on plugs was hell to get them out!

there are certain tools that can help u not hurt ur nuckles... and thanx every1 ill see if this works...