Transmission Problems..slipping?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems..slipping??

GrandAmGT1996
03-25-2006, 10:11 PM
Ok so the other night I was with my girlfriend heading back to my house, I was just cruising along at around 40mph. Then all the sudden I went to give it more gas and it just revved up, like it would have been in neutral. So I slowed down far enough to manually downshift it to see if maybe it would work then. It wouldn't even register that it was in gear, it just revved no matter what gear I put it in. So I got it home and parked it. I left it sit for a little bit and then restarted it, and it let me drive for a little, but then just started to do the same thing. It seems like whenever it needs to use a little bit of torque, going up hills...first starting off...etc, it studders and then gets going, then just starts to rev after a little bit. But if I turn the car off and restart it, then it will let me go for a little bit. It still shifts gears but I'm clueless as to what the problem could be! I just put a used transmission (70k miles on it) in the damn thing about 2 months ago. (warranty is up on it)

This is the final straw for the GA, once summer comes, it goes.

GrandAmGT1996
03-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Any ideas?? Kinda urgent

rwillman
03-27-2006, 08:53 AM
Check your fluid level. I had the same thing happen to my Eclipse because of a leaky tranny. If you catch it early enough you might be ok.

GrandAmGT1996
03-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I already checked it, that was my first go-to. It has the right amount of fluid, I was talking to the garage today and they said it could be a number of things, axle, pump, torque converter, etc. They cant really tell until I can get the car to them.

Mendoza
03-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Thats ruff man i noticed mine is starting to slip from 1st to 2nd. It's not to bad right now but i plan on doing a tranny rebuild. You should look into the same thing considering your situation. I would say theres no reason to give up on it.

GrandAmGT1996
03-28-2006, 06:01 AM
Well, you don't know the history of the GA and transmission problems. This is going to be the fourth time returning to the transmission shop. It blew out an axle seal twice, on the same side. Then the whole transmission took a dump. Now this. I have spent close to $2,000 just keeping this thing on the road, and its only worth around $2,000. It has just been a sinkhole of money for me. :( I love the thing when it runs.

Mendoza
03-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Then look into a Infinity G35 coupe :)

Blight
03-28-2006, 08:17 AM
CHECK YOUR O2 SENSOR! At least if its a tranny you have in there now that you trust isnt supposed to go bad on you yet. Well for me, my car would do the same exact thing, all because i had wiring for my A/F gauge on my O2 sensor that for some reason if the ground comes undone the gauge goes off then for some reason the car does what it sound slike you describe. So i suggest if you wired anything to the O2 check your schematics. Or else at least check the O2 sensor itself even if you didnt touch it.

GrandAmGT1996
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Where exactly can I find the O2 sensor?

As far as the G35...to exspensive, im looking for a mustang around the $7K range for this summer. :)

GrandAmGT1996
04-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Helppppp I miss my GA. lol