Tranny problem/reliability question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problem/reliability question

grandamse01
03-26-2006, 05:10 PM
I've gota couple of questions for you guys. 2001 Grand Am SE V6. First, When I turn my wheel to make a 90-180 degree turn, my tranny kicks into neutral for some wierd reason when I give it gas, normal acceleration throttle, mind you. Anybody have an idea why this would happen? I changed the tranny oil hoping it would help, no luck. Second, I've got about 92,000 miles on my car. I drive way faster than most people simply because I like to. Not stupid, just fast. I usually let it shift anywhere from 3-4500 rpm and I like to redline a few times a day. I know, horrible for the motor. My question is, how much longer can my engine be expected to last (no flaming over driving needed) and what can I do to keep her alive? I'm just now getting to where I can fix up my car and I want to keep it running long enough to enjoy this. How long do these cars usually last? Anyway, there's your typical newb questions. Thanks in advance for you replies. Oh wait...........one more. Why does my car overheat when I'm sitting still when the AC is off? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

KeyserSosa2000
03-26-2006, 09:20 PM
The car over heats because:

I've got about 92,000 miles on my car. I drive way faster than most people simply because I like to. I usually let it shift anywhere from 3-4500 rpm and I like to redline a few times a day.

01PontiacGT
03-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Why does my car overheat when I'm sitting still when the AC is off? Isn't it supposed to be the other way around?

my old 96 grand am se was doing something like once and it turned out to be the water pump. Theres a thread around here somewhere about water-pump problems i'm sure.

stanjk3
03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Actually, turning on the heat will reduce your engine temps a little bit. AC just cools you, it puts more stress on your engine.

Another thing to check is the thermostat. It might stick and open at a hotter temp that it should. Or, as was the case with my car, open too soon causing lower than normal engine temps.

GrandAmGT1996
03-27-2006, 05:56 AM
Also, as far as over heating...when was the last time your coolant was flushed? That might help.