Service Engine Light Q [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Light Q

Firsty1
03-27-2006, 10:45 AM
I had an expired inspection sticker. I got pulled over for it yesterday, the only reason I didnt get the inspection is because I've been lazy and poor so I put it off. Well I got a 50 dollar ticket so I was upset.. THEN I got out of the store and my service engine light came on. I took it to Autozone for the free diagnostics test and the kid told me it was a "System malfunction" code... something with "probably the gas or something." Didn't seem like he really knew what he was talking about, but does anyone have any ideas of more specifically what it could be.

******UPDATE********
It is a P0440 problem... the autozone guy said (as well as most previous posts) it was most likely a gas cap problem. I had checked my gas cap in the first place and I do believe it may have been on incorrectly. Now I was told I need to reset the system to get it to go off... how do I reset it??? Turning it to on and hitting the read button, let it chime.. then I held it for 5 chimes? If thats it, I tried that and it's still on. I also read that sometimes you may have to drive it for so long before it shuts off, does that happen even when its a gas cap problem? My other Question now is.. if the gas cap was on incorrectly would the light come on right away, because I think it was about 2 days before it came on.

Mike Jung
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
What was the actually code # ?
(Without the actually code #, no one will have an idea.)

Also check your gas cap, to see if it is loose.
Turn it clockwise for at least 3-clicks.
(Frequent cause of the SES light.)

digitalballz
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
You need a scantool to clear the codes. I dont know if autozone will do it for you. You do know that your not gonna get a passing sticker now if you go to get one right. If you clear the codes you erase the memory in the computer, and none of the computers system monitors will be ready. Try to drive it for a couple days after you clear the codes to let the computer test its monitors.

Mike Jung
03-28-2006, 05:40 PM
******UPDATE********
It is a P0440 problem... the autozone guy said (as well as most previous posts) it was most likely a gas cap problem.
I had checked my gas cap in the first place and I do believe it may have been on incorrectly.
Now I was told I need to reset the system to get it to go off... how do I reset it???
Turning it to on and hitting the read button, let it chime.. then I held it for 5 chimes?
If thats it, I tried that and it's still on. I also read that sometimes you may have to drive it for so long before it shuts off, does that happen even when its a gas cap problem?
My other Question now is.. if the gas cap was on incorrectly would the light come on right away, because I think it was about 2 days before it came on.
Evaporative Emissions Controls Monitor:
How often does it run: Once per trip.
# of trips needed for pending code with problem detected: 1
# of trips needed for SES to come on with problem detected: 2
# of trips needed for pending code to erase, if problem is not detected: 1
# of trips needed for to turn off SES light, if the problem is not detected: 3
# of warm-up periods needed to erase code from memory (after SES light turns off): 40

Don't erase/clear the codes.
As digitalballz says, you will fail any OBDII inspections if you do.
By not having all the monitors done running & being in ok status.

Take a look at this thread: service engine soon light (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31759) & see the last post.

P0440

Conditions For Setting the DTC
The EVAP system is not able to achieve or to maintain a vacuum during the diagnostic test.

P0442
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The EVAP system can achieve vacuum, but a vacuum decay is detected during the diagnostic test.

digitalballz
03-28-2006, 05:54 PM
If you have an SES light on you will fail inspection as well. If it is a SVS light I think you might pass. But who knows the state of MA is retarded. I had a van pass the other day with a check engine light on.