ticking noise?????? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ticking noise??????

Carmaniac
03-28-2006, 06:57 PM
ok well i started up my car yesterday morning and i just here tick tick tick tick tick tick. i was like uhhhhhhhh, but i drove to class which wasnt far thinking it was just cold or something. half way the noise went away and no problem on the way back. then when i was going to my afternoon class it was doing it again
this time even worse. so i didnt take my car to class. when i got back i checked the oil and it was almost empty. when i was filling it up i noticed all sludge in the there and i am guessing its coolant:( so i filled it up and let it run for a couple mins. the noise is still there. the low coolant light has also went on and i filled that up to. is this the dreaded LIM leak and did it seize my engine?!!?!?!?

digitalballz
03-28-2006, 08:18 PM
most likely the LIM. If your motor still runs then it didnt seize it. Could you have done some serious damage..... yeah. No way to know unless you rip it apart. Which = $$$$$$$.

lone_wolf025
03-28-2006, 11:31 PM
There are ways to tell. Check the auto parts store for any kits that detect the presence of combustion chamber gases, i.e. hyrdrocarbons, in your coolant (either that or pay the money to get it checked at a trustworthy shop). A cheap way to tell is to pop off the radiator cap and watch for bubbles when its cold, but that's iffy at best because some bubbles will be normal especially if you've had low coolant. Also if your oil is milky white then you've got coolant contamination. If you're burning coolant you should see a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust as well, but that depends on how bad the leak. When the head gasket blew on my S-10 Blazer I completely ran out of coolant and when I put some in, it blew HUGE clouds of white smoke so thick they blocked out my view of the car directly behind me.

-EDIT-
digitalballz is right about the seizing. You'd KNOW because the engine would be completely locked. What happens is that so much coolant leaks into the cylinder(s) that it STOPS the travel of the piston before TDC and winds up bending the connecting rod and trashing the engine.

Carmaniac
03-29-2006, 11:14 PM
well i guess i didnt seize my engine, but probably did some cost worthy damage. the dealer is checking it out:(

Carmaniac
04-02-2006, 11:16 PM
i got it fixed and it turned out to be the LIM gasket leak. the coolant leaked into the oil and caused sludge to build up and sludged up the lifters and everything. theyhad to change my oil a bunch of times to try and fluch it out. it ended up costing me $1100. all fixed though and it runs fine now.

xtremecold101
04-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Doesnt the engine tick sometimes when its cold outside and then eventually go away too? Isnt that normal?

coupe
04-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Doesnt the engine tick sometimes when its cold outside and then eventually go away too? Isnt that normal?

Yup, mine does it, every 3100 and 3400 i have ever been around do it.

Mike Jung
04-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Some of it can be reduced.

By not using Fram Extra Guard oil filters or Fram made re-labelled oil filters (bad designed A.D.B.V. on them); causing dry cold starts.

& using oil filters that have better Anti-Drain Back Valve on them; like oil filters that use Silicon ones.
Example: Wix (aka: NAPA Gold, Carquest Premium Blue) oil filters

digitalballz
04-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Damn 1100 for a LIM??? I thought we were high at about 750 for a 3.4 LIM job.

Carmaniac
04-06-2006, 11:17 PM

yea i get that all the time, but then it really started ticking i mean loud and wouldnt stop. they changed the oil like 5 times to fluch out all the sludge and stuff it would of cost less if i didnt wait so long. o well i want a GTO lol

digitalballz
04-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Still even with 10 oil changes it shouldnt have been that high. When they had the intake out they should have cleaned everything yup a little.

bigtard
04-08-2006, 09:30 PM

I live in the Phoenix area, and mine does that when it hasn't been started in a while (e.g. when I start it the next morning). Even when it's 110 degrees it does that a little at first. The noise is almost always gone by the time I drive across my apartment complex to the street (about 400 feet).