Change coolant [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Change coolant

prayga
04-01-2006, 09:49 AM
I’m draining the coolant but can not remove the plug. The drain plug has a standard socket deep inside, a square socket in the middle, and a one direction slot on the outside. I tried standard and square drivers but they all slopped. Is there a special tool for this plug or something is wrong? The car is 01 GT. Thanks for help.

digitalballz
04-01-2006, 10:20 AM
nope no special tool.

tenspeed
04-01-2006, 10:24 AM
How about taking off the lower hose instead?

prayga
04-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys for your help. I finally made the “drain plug” turned. But after many turns, neither the “plug” came out, nor did coolant flow out. I didn’t believe this car was air cooled (as my wife questioned), so I wonder if I turned the right plug. Is it the plastic thing at the driver side bottom corner of the radiator? I also couldn’t find the refill cap on the top of radiator. Should I use the surge tank to fill coolant?:banghead

coupe
04-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Air cooled lol lol lol lol

I think you where turning the wrong plug lol

Yes refill the resvoir when you need to fill it back up, dont forget to bleed the system either.

Why are you draining the coolant?

Joeyavhu
04-03-2006, 11:24 AM
After you turn the plug just a little, you have to get pliers and actually pull the plug out. It took me 20 minutes and a mouth full of coolant to figure that one out. It is the plug on the bottom drivers side of the radiator.

prayga
04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
My car is almost 100K. Dealer replaced leaking manifold gasket and coolant at 20K. Now the weather is warming up and so does the coolant temperature (225F). So I thought at least I could change the coolant, as I did on all of my Japanese cars. But this American baby keep challenge me. :confused: So where is the drain plug, if there is any?

prayga
04-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks JOEYAVHU. I didn't see your post when I was trying to sort out those ???s. I will give another try tonight.

coupe
04-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Well if thats why your doing it a coolant flush would be what you really wanna do, not just drain it and refill it. Coolant flushes arent that expensive at all.

Mike Jung
04-03-2006, 11:42 AM
...So where is the drain plug, if there is any?
Read some of the posts in thread: Can I get a 'How-To' please?? (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39425)

Be careful (that you don't break it!) of the plastic wing nut type thing, called a drain c0ck.
On the bottom of the radiator, driver's side, visible from the front.

...I also couldn’t find the refill cap on the top of radiator. Should I use the surge tank to fill coolant?...
Yes.

Joeyavhu
04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Good luck changing it. Its not too hard.