big transmission troubles [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : big transmission troubles

packen
04-01-2006, 03:22 PM
93 GA SE 2.3 SOHC. Auto trans.
I just replaced the head on this car, now suddenly the transmission is acting up. The car runs and drives fine for a little while, shifts fine, stops and gos fine, but after about ten minutes of driving, when I try to stop, it shutters and dies. It acts like a standard shift would if you stop without pushing in on the clutch. When I restart, it will die as soon as I put it in gear, acting like I tried to go in fourth gear of a standard. After the car sits for a while, all is fine, untill I drive for a little while again, then it starts doing it again. I didn't have this problem before replacing the head. I didn't remove the engine or tranny. Does anybody have a clue as to what could be the problem? I find it hard to believe that the tranny would go bad just as I replaced the head. I hope it is something simple. I am getting too much invested in this car now.
Thanks.

packen
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Anybody have ANY ideas? I am really desperate. I don't know what to check.

GrandAmGT1996
04-03-2006, 07:15 AM
The car that I'm driving now does that (Nissan Sentra) because my GA is also having tranny problems. Don't expect a lot of feedback, transmissions seem to be a "weak spot" on the website lol

coupe
04-03-2006, 07:21 AM
The problem is for most of us that know anything about tranny's we have to actually be there to check it out and see what it is doing, this isnt something that we can diagnose over the internet, thats why you guys arent getting much feed back.
But to packen, it dont sound like your tranny, but i could be wrong.

AaronGTR
04-03-2006, 09:50 AM
The other problem is this is a 99+ grand am site and we aren't experts on 93 grand ams. ;) I don't even know which trans your car came with. 4T60 or 4T40?

You're right though, replacing the head shouldn't affect the transmission. It could be a coincidence and something is just ready to fail on the trans. Maybe something's stuck in the shifting and it's staying in 4th gear instead of downshifting when you come to a stop, or maybe the torque converter is staying locked? That would make it die like if the clutch was still engaged on a manual. Can't give you any more help than that. You might just need to take it somewhere to get fixed.

lancerga
04-03-2006, 09:55 AM
Check your trans fluid level. It could be as simple as that.

Matt95GT
04-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Unplug the TCC... I bet it won't do that anymore. (common prob on that trans)

packen
04-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Unplug the TCC... I bet it won't do that anymore. (common prob on that trans)
What is the TCC? And where do I find it? That would be nice if it a simple solution. I also want to say thanks to all that replied to my post. I know its hard to help when you can't actually experience the problem. If I unplug the TCC and that doesn't work, its off to the shop.

OK, I found out what TCC is, Transaxle Converter Clutch, and that sounds exactly like my problem. The only problem is, I can't find out where it is located. If anybody knows, it sure would help.
Thanks again.

Matt95GT
04-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Unplugging it is actually a workaround. If that's indeed your issue, it will run fine when unplugged, but gas mileage will suffer.

Here...
http://fazeshift.org/pics/albums/userpics/10001/normal_123414P4L%20Engine%20harness%20figure%202.j pg

packen
04-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks Matt95GT. Thats a good pic. I will unplug it and give it a try, if it works ok, then I will know what the problem is. At least I will be able to drive it untill I fix it. Do you know if it is easy to replace or not? My Haynes manual doesn't really say to much about the TCC(or at least I couldn't find anything). I won't be able to try it untill Wednesday though because of work, but when I do, I will post the results.
Thanks again..

GrandAmGT1996
04-04-2006, 04:10 PM
In response to coupe, I understand that you cant really diagnose this over the internet...which sort of makes it a weak spot. But at least the problem may have been found, good luck.

MxRacer965
04-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I had the same problem on my old 93 GA with the 3300 V6. I AAMCO wanted like $400 to fix it, but I found another tranny shop that did the job for around $200. The torque converter clutch solenoid gets clogged with crap I guess over time and begins to act up once the tranny is good and warm. That is why it only happens after you drive for a while. Exact same problem mine had, not at all uncommon for that era GA. If I were you I'd just call around to local tranny shops and tell them you need a new TCC solenoid and ask how much $ to do the job...

Good luck

packen
04-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Ok, I found the connector, disconnected it, and went for a ride. That was the problem. It worked perfectly. I am so glad that it wasn't something huge. Thank you all very much, especially Matt95GT. You guys saved me a bunch of money.
Now, if I want to replace it, is it a big pain in the a$$? My Haynes manual doesn't tell how to do it. Actually, I can't even find anywhere that sells the TCC.
Oh well, at least I can drive it now, even if I don't get a new part.
Thanks again....

Matt95GT
04-05-2006, 08:03 PM
You're welcome. :)

Now, if I want to replace it, is it a big pain in the a$$? My Haynes manual doesn't tell how to do it. Actually, I can't even find anywhere that sells the TCC. Oh well, at least I can drive it now, even if I don't get a new part.
Thanks again....

Never done, but it looks like a mild-moderate PIA. Both Haynes and Chiltons manuals suck for the 92-95 GA's. If you want a great shop manual, order the GM/Helms factory service manual for your year. www.helminc.com The above diagram was scanned from that manual... it is my bible.

I know someone that never bothered to fix it and drove the car for another year or 2 before selling it. In stop/go driving it won't matter much, but on the highway you'll suffer worse gas mileage.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Check your trans fluid level. It could be as simple as that.

Where do u check the trans fluid on an automatic 00' Gt grand am??

coupe
04-06-2006, 09:56 AM
Where do u check the trans fluid on an automatic 00' Gt grand am??

Its a bitch, i use a paint stirer and just put it down in there. No other way i know of.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Thats cool, i still need 2 know where the location is so i can check it.

coupe
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Look under your crossover pipe, you will see a red cap, thats it.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 12:08 PM
cool, thanks!