Removing Intake Manifold+ Valve cover [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Intake Manifold+ Valve cover

shogun99
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
How difficult is this and can i do it without damaging the gasket? Also, how do i remove the valve cover? Looking over it quickly i can tell its not TOO difficult but i want to make sure im ready and fully informed on what to expect before i tackle this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

LukeD
04-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I had a weird problem with my front gasket every time I took the front valve cover off. For some reason when I go to put it back it would be stretched bigger than when it was new. The rear always went back on fine though. I'm thinking maybe I got some kind of chemical on it or something. Each time I have had to get a new gasket.

lone_wolf025
04-02-2006, 10:35 PM
There's a reason behind that. Most gaskets are designed for one time use only. Once you torque everything down the gasket gets permanently compressed to properly seal everything. As soon as you remove something the gasket is garbage and SHOULD always be replaced.

KeyserSosa2000
04-02-2006, 11:51 PM
It shouldn't be too bad if you have the right tools. I've helped my dad with our truck a bunch of times but it's a V8 and there is a lot more room under that hood than in our cars.

Also, replace the gaskets.

Good luck. :thumbs:

digitalballz
04-03-2006, 05:57 PM
always, always, always replace the gaskets. There not that expensive. Its not that bad of a job, if you have aptience and the right tools. A couple cases of beer dont hurt either.