Potential new 03 GAGT owner with ?s [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Potential new 03 GAGT owner with ?s

GoShox
04-05-2006, 02:05 PM
I've been in the market for a new daily driver - strictly to get me back & forth to work and get good gas mileage (drive ~35 miles round trip each day). Looking at various used 2dr cars (Grand Am/Prix, Cavalier, Saturns). A coworker recently decided to sell his 03 GAGT Coupe. It has 33k miles and looks very good. I don't know much about GAs, so I did searches on this site for common problems and am now aware of the LIM issue. Not sure the build date on this car but I will find out. Anyway, any other things I should be aware of? Looks like most get anywhere from 20-30mpg in various combinations of city/highway driving. The owner will go $10000 and maybe lower - this is a few grand more than I was looking to spend, but if this will be a good vehicle...its worth it...especially since I know the owner.

pyro
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
this should go in the newbie section, but thats the only major issue with them, other than wheel hubs going bad, but im not sure if thats for all years.

lone_wolf025
04-05-2006, 02:13 PM
I bought my GAGT of the same year just a few weeks ago and I love the thing. I'd say go for it. A buddy of mine has had his, an '01, since it was new and hasn't had any real trouble with the thing minus the LIM. Consumer Reports also had the '03 model recommended with no real issues.

GoShox
04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
thanks for the replies. Sorry about posting in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where it should go so I figured this thread would be most visible. :hammer:

Braves299
04-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Go for it! For an '03, $10,000 sounds pretty good. The LIM issue is a pretty common problem and most of us experience it (as with most GM vehicles) but if you put it in perspective, it's a GASKET! It's not the end of the world.

I have a 99 SE with the same motor, and I have 147K miles on it and it still runs strong. I have replaced the LIM gasket, wheel hub, and fuel pump over the 5 years I've had it. For a low resale price, I don't think you can beat a Grand Am. They make excellent used cars. Plus they look great.

02andahalfgt
04-06-2006, 10:25 PM
If it's a few grand more than you're willing to spend then don't do it.

GoShox
04-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Its a few grand more than I was originally planning to spend, but I'm willing to spend it for this car

02andahalfgt
04-09-2006, 07:00 PM
lol Then good luck, you'll need it.

nascarnate326
04-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Grand Am's are like any other car. If its treated right and maintance is kept up it should work out fine for you. LIM happens to everyone, and like braves said, its a gasket. Once you get it fixed its over with, done deal. You mite not even have to have it changed, I made it to 123k. Wheel Hub has been replaced on my car too. Some people have had terrible luck with the GA and some have had pretty good luck. There are quite a few GA's that have made it past the 125k mark. If you plan on keeping it for a while, id say go for it. Check insurance rates before you buy though.

GoShox
04-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Then good luck, you'll need it

whatever, thanks for the advice :rolleyes:

GrahamKracka
04-10-2006, 01:32 PM
i wouldnt pay over 7k for any grand am

GoShox
04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
To those of you that actually answered my questions...thank you! I appreciate it. As soon as I sell my truck I'm buying the car! For the rest of you(02andahalfgt, GrahamKracka) if I wanted financial advice, I'd go see my financial advisor. Unless you have a constructive reply to my questions, please don't post in my thread again.

mightypan42
04-11-2006, 10:25 AM
^ lol *welcome*
Good luck with it. btw, for future reference, snapping at the old-timers isn't a good way to get started on this forum.

coupe
04-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeah but Jon and Richard like to bash the GA and didnt give much reason why.

mightypan42
04-11-2006, 10:50 AM
This too is true

GoShox
04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Good luck with it. btw, for future reference, snapping at the old-timers isn't a good way to get started on this forum

"Snapping" ... ??? I would hardly call that snapping. That was a very polite request for them to stop posting meaningless replies to this thread. People come to automotive forums for assistance. How does posting Then good luck, you'll need it. and i wouldnt pay over 7k for any grand am help in any way?? If they are old timers to this forum then why are they bashing Grand Ams? I may be a newbie to this forum, but I'm not new to the auto forum world. I've been a member of various Jeep, F150, and Toyota Matrix forums for years. Just because someone is an "old-timer" doesn't mean I or anyone else has to take any cr@p from them. I'm as nice a person as anyone else on here, and as soon as I get my hands on this Grand Am and learn more about it, hopefully I'll be able to help some other people on this forum. Sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers (old-timer or not), I just don't like it when I post a thread asking for assistance and I get useless replies.

02andahalfgt
04-11-2006, 10:05 PM
To those of you that actually answered my questions...thank you! I appreciate it. As soon as I sell my truck I'm buying the car! For the rest of you(02andahalfgt, GrahamKracka) if I wanted financial advice, I'd go see my financial advisor. Unless you have a constructive reply to my questions, please don't post in my thread again.

Hey douchebag welcome to the site.
Is the Grand Am a great car, sure. Is it worth spending more than you planned on? HELL NO. In the long run you'll end up spending more on the up keep to fix the little bugs and the normal maintenance on top of buying it for more than you originally wanted to spend. It's not a reliable used car, of course some people get lucky. Hence why I said good luck, because YOU WILL NEED IT.

Thanks for being another dumbass-know-it-all newbie, we need more of you around. :thumbs: :applause:

mightypan42
04-12-2006, 08:51 AM
All I'm saying is that the old-timers generally know what they're talking about. Especially here.
For the rest of you if I wanted financial advice, I'd go see my financial advisor. Unless you have a constructive reply to my questions, please don't post in my thread again.
Since you've been a member of various Jeep, F150, and Toyota Matrix forums for years, you should know by now that this type of response only makes you look like a newbie douchebag. Not every internet forum is a Mr Rogers' Neighborhood circlejerk, and from time to time, you're going to get responses you may not like.

If it's a few grand more than you're willing to spend then don't do it. IS constructive advice. Anyone would tell you the same thing. You were the one who said that it was
a few grand more than I was looking to spend
that should have been end of discussion with your friend. He's probably looking to pay off his loan. You should be concerned with resale value. It's not your problem that he owes more than the car's worth.

i wouldnt pay over 7k for any grand am
That's because the retail value on these cars SUCK. This has always been the case, and will continue to be so.

You were the one who came here looking for advice. When it was given by people who have quite a bit of experience with these cars, you dismissed it. If you want to get responses like "I love my Grand Am. I wouldn't have any other car." go over to GAOC. This is a much more practical site.

GoShox
04-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey douchebag welcome to the site.
Is the Grand Am a great car, sure. Is it worth spending more than you planned on? HELL NO. In the long run you'll end up spending more on the up keep to fix the little bugs and the normal maintenance on top of buying it for more than you originally wanted to spend. It's not a reliable used car, of course some people get lucky. Hence why I said good luck, because YOU WILL NEED IT.

Thanks for being another dumbass-know-it-all newbie, we need more of you around.

See...this is exactly what I'm talking about. A real class act from an "old-timer". Everyone should note I have not once called this person any names, but now he's flinging "douchebag" and "dumbass-know-it-all newbie" at me. At no point did I ever claim to know anything about Grand Ams. But apparently he knows everything about me and my financial situation. If you hate Grand Ams so much...why are you even here??? My guess is to argue with people and call them names. We need more of you around too.

I'm done with this thread, I got the answers I needed. 02andahalfgt - you can keep calling me names all you want ...but you won't get any response from me. Thanks to those of you that were actually helpful.

HiFiCarGuy
04-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I would like to post up that Grand Am's are not perfect. People are right, there's a lot of little bugs that you don't think about, but happen. Let me share a bit of my story with you. I had a 99 GAGT Sedan with only 25k miles. LOVED it. Then, little stuff started breaking. My blower motor resistor kept blowing (4 times to be exact). What that means is no heater (more importantly defroster for the winter). When this dies, generally just 1 and 2 settings die (this is VERY common) but with mine, the whole blower system died. It's a $24 part that for the first timer takes about an hour to put in with a bruised back and cut-up hands. I didn't mind when it happened the first time...the second time...ok...the third time was trying my nerves, and the fourth time was the day before the b*tch was traded in.

So, I traded in my ga cause the blower died a lot...NO! Another gremlin. I was driving home from a Concert in Detroit with my Girl. It was late and it was snowing so hard that the fastest we could go was 35 mph. I've driven in this weather before..so it was no biggie. Then, out of nowhere my headlights went out. Both at the same time. That was great. After a few seconds they came back on. Although I thought it was weird I forgot about it and focused on driving. about half an hour later, they did it agian, but stayed out. I realized that my brights still worked, so I used those to get home. To me, headlights are a big deal! I replaces relays, fuses, and anything I could think of. I ended up taking it to the dealer and 5 hours and $260 later, they found a cheap plastic switch died. NICE.

One day I came home. Parked the car locked it and started walking away. All of a sudden the radiator fans came on. ??? So I popped the hood and looked underneath, no reason for them to be on! So, I started the car, and they turned off. Turned off the car and they came back on. So, I disconnected the battery and left it. For the next week evertime I parked my car I had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it to leave. The biggest PITA ever. How'd I fix it? I didn't...after a week if just stopped. Nice and realiable....

The wheel brearing died (I wasn't too mad about that...it's common) the alternator died, leaving me stranded on the road at about 8 pm on a terrible December evening. I walked my ass up to an Autozone (thank god there was one within four miles) and they told me that they don't carry it in stock. AN ALTERNATOR FOR A GRAND AM (one of the most popular cars in Michigan) THEY DON'T KEEP IN STOCK!?!?. I got mad and the manager stepped in after he heard I was stranded. Apparently someone ordered one a few days ago and it had just come in. He felt bad so he sold it to me. 9pm...I had a socket set and a tire iron, and changed the alternator to get my ass home. I'm not complaining about the Alternator dying (happens in any car) but the fact that Autozone (or Murray's) doesn't stock them....that's a deal to me. If it died again, I'd have to call a tow truck.

Did I beat on the car? Not one bit. It got Mobil 1 oil changes every 5k miles, a wash every week and a wax every two. I red lined it maybe once a week. I always obeyed the speed limits. I babied the crap outta the thing and it still took a dump. After the wheel bearing died and the blower motor died for the 4th time, I found myself at the Scion dealer, and the rest is history. I traded in the car with 42k miles! That's IT! I'd expect all the crap from a higher mileage car...but 42k is nothing. I just can't help but feel sorry for the poor guy that has my car now.

So, why'd I wase 20 min typing this out? To be a voice of reason. I'm not telling you to not buy the car. GA's are very good vehicles, a lot of people have great luck with them. I just want you to know all different types of stories. Most of the people are saying DO IT! then others are saying DON'T (with no reason). There's my reason...and you've been warned. If you do decide to get it, I wish you good luck. I really hope everything works out for you and the car treats you like you treat it. But if it doesn't...from someone that had it happen to him...I'm so sorry.

GoShox
04-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Ok, I didn't see this post before my last one, and I'd like to adress this:

Since you've been a member of various Jeep, F150, and Toyota Matrix forums for years, you should know by now that this type of response only makes you look like a newbie douchebag. Not every internet forum is a Mr Rogers' Neighborhood circlejerk, and from time to time, you're going to get responses you may not like.

Sorry...I don't get all caught up in the Newbie vs Old-Timer class system. I'm just here to post questions and help others where I can.

Quote:
If it's a few grand more than you're willing to spend then don't do it.

IS constructive advice. Anyone would tell you the same thing. You were the one who said that it was

When a person starts looking for vehicles you set an initial price range. There's nothing wrong with changing that price range. Not that its anyone's business here, but I just got a hefty raise at work, which is one reason why I decided to up that price range.

a few grand more than I was looking to spend

that should have been end of discussion with your friend. He's probably looking to pay off his loan. You should be concerned with resale value. It's not your problem that he owes more than the car's worth.

I don't know what you're talking about. He's selling it for 1000-3000 less than book value(depends on which book you look at). I'm not paying him more money than the vehicle is worth, if you go by book value like the majority of used car buyers do...I'm underpaying for it. I understand depreciation, which is why I don't buy vehicles brand new.

You were the one who came here looking for advice. When it was given by people who have quite a bit of experience with these cars, you dismissed it.

That's because it wasn't advice, it was a generic statement with no reason (at the time) as to why it was given.

If you want to get responses like "I love my Grand Am. I wouldn't have any other car."

I don't care if the response is "I love" or "I hate"...just back it up with some reasons why you feel that way. That's advice.

NOW that I have addressed everyone's post in here, I am done with this thread. From now on I'll stick to posting questions/answering those I can help with and ignoring anything else. Again, sorry if I've ruffled any feathers or angered anyone.

HiFiCarGuy
04-12-2006, 09:31 AM
Go check out the thread I just posted on the bottom of the first page.

DrFabulous
04-12-2006, 09:38 AM
You get what you pay for. If you don't mind having to replace some stuff once in a while, the GA is a great car. Look at it this way- $10k for a car that you might have to spend $1500 repairing, or spending $15k for a car that "won't" have problems? You be the judge.

Besides... wasn't the LIM leak fixed in 03 or something?? That's the biggest problem with these cars. LIM, wheel hubs, window regulators.

DrFabulous
04-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Go check out the thread I just posted on the bottom of the first page.

Ok... first of all, not one of your problems would or could be related to beating on the car. So if you did or didn't beat on it (which, no matter what you say, you did), it wouldn't have changed your situation.
Second- if you're going to sit here and tell me you can find a 6-7 year old car that doesn't have its share of little problems... you're lying to yourself. Doesn't matter the number of miles for a lot of stuff.... I had a 83 Olds with 63k on it.... stuff breaks cause it gets old.
Third- I challange you, and anyone else, to do this-
1- Buy a GAGT. Spend the money to fix the common problems. (LIM, hubs, regulator).
2- Figure out how much you spent.
3- Find another car, around the same class, year, milage, etc... that's anywhere NEAR the price range of the GA.

Don't get me wrong- fixing stupid stuff SUCKS... but if you're willing to do it, it's a good value. The people it isn't good for is the people that take the thing to the dealer for every damn problem.

HiFiCarGuy
04-12-2006, 09:48 AM
Besides... wasn't the LIM leak fixed in 03 or something?? That's the biggest problem with these cars. LIM, wheel hubs, window regulators.

The only way it'll be fixed is then the 3400 is finally dead. My mom's 03 Aztek (3400) just got the LIM leak.

I also think the circumstances with my car aren't just "little problems"...but that's just me. My last vehicle was a 95 Sonoma Highrider with 144k miles. It had little problems...but nothing like that.

coupe
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Don't get me wrong- fixing stupid stuff SUCKS... but if you're willing to do it, it's a good value. The people it isn't good for is the people that take the thing to the dealer for every damn problem.

:applause:

Braves299
04-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Ok... first of all, not one of your problems would or could be related to beating on the car. So if you did or didn't beat on it (which, no matter what you say, you did), it wouldn't have changed your situation.
Second- if you're going to sit here and tell me you can find a 6-7 year old car that doesn't have its share of little problems... you're lying to yourself. Doesn't matter the number of miles for a lot of stuff.... I had a 83 Olds with 63k on it.... stuff breaks cause it gets old.
Third- I challange you, and anyone else, to do this-
1- Buy a GAGT. Spend the money to fix the common problems. (LIM, hubs, regulator).
2- Figure out how much you spent.
3- Find another car, around the same class, year, milage, etc... that's anywhere NEAR the price range of the GA.

Well said Matt! :applause:

02andahalfgt
04-12-2006, 10:53 PM
IS constructive advice. Anyone would tell you the same thing. You were the one who said that it was

That's because the retail value on these cars SUCK. This has always been the case, and will continue to be so.

You were the one who came here looking for advice. When it was given by people who have quite a bit of experience with these cars, you dismissed it. If you want to get responses like "I love my Grand Am. I wouldn't have any other car." go over to GAOC. This is a much more practical site.

Intelligence! I love it when smart people understand. :applause:

There's my reason...and you've been warned. If you do decide to get it, I wish you good luck.

Sounds familiar. Good luck, you're gonna need it. Hopefully this car won't be one of the ones to fall victim to all of the typical gremlins.

99blackSE
04-12-2006, 11:22 PM
The only way it'll be fixed is then the 3400 is finally dead. My mom's 03 Aztek (3400) just got the LIM leak.

I also think the circumstances with my car aren't just "little problems"...but that's just me. My last vehicle was a 95 Sonoma Highrider with 144k miles. It had little problems...but nothing like that.

Don't forget Chris, you had a '99, the first year that the 5th gens were out, and most of the time it seems those 1st round of new generations seem to have a few problems.

We have 2 '99s, both the LD9 and LA1 variants. My sisters (the LD9) has given us relatively little trouble besides the window regulators a couple times and some other small things. I have the V6 as you know, and I havent ran into the LIM yet *knock on wood* and I have had the car for almost 25,000 miles now. Total mileage is around 80,000 and I've been keeping up with the maintenece, etc. and the car has been good to me, but maybe that is just the luck of the draw, who knows. I had the blower resistor go on me, no power windows stuff though because I have none lol, and the rotors had to be replaced which was probably the most expensive thing so far, but thats common with the cars...

For the price nowadays the Grand Am IMO has some nice features, catchy styling, and some decent grunt.