Fuel Additives. Do they really work!? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Additives. Do they really work!?

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 10:47 AM
I wasnt sure if this was an appropriate place to ask this but this has been bothering me for a long time & i was wondering do fuel additives really work, there was this news report about it but i missed it & im hearing from some people saying they really do work but then others are saying they do nothing. After every other time i go to change my oil i usually put in this gumout cleaner when i fill up at the gas station. But seeing how gas is really expensive & hearing from various people (including freinds) that Shell's V-Power 93' octane gas is much better then using any fuel additive. I dont know if i should continue using the gumout or what. Another question i have is does the engine oil treatment really work or is that a gimmick? If it does really work when should you use it, if at all?

Thanks!

DrFabulous
04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Well..... I haven't seen anything that says they work.

That being said, I throw 1/2 can of SeaFoam in my tank every 2 weeks. It can't hurt.

pyro
04-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Shell's V-Power 93' octane gas is much better then using any fuel additive.
no reason to use that in a grand am unless you have dhp or some other major mods

ViperGTSR
04-06-2006, 11:06 AM
its all a gimmick. read THE OIL BIBLE

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html
Synthetic Motor Oil Comparison Tests and Reviews Revealed

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 11:42 AM
its all a gimmick. read THE OIL BIBLE

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/motoroil.html
Synthetic Motor Oil Comparison Tests and Reviews Revealed

Thanks for the input, but.. what is the best oil to use then?
And also what do u need to do to keep your car running as efficent as possible if the Fuel Additives dont work?

As for Shells V-power gas it doesnt matter then if you have a V6 - 3.4 liter engine, you still dont need it @ all?

ViperGTSR
04-06-2006, 12:58 PM
read it! it gives a chart of the best oils at the bottom. The guy does not test out German Castrol 0w-30, just regular castrol syntec. However a lot of people believe german castrol is the greatest thing ever. I'm using it as we speak. Also, royal purple and amsoil are good.

any synthetic is better than most dinos.

read the guide man, it tells u everything about efficient filtering and keeping ur car running well.

You don't need 93 for ur stock V6, even though it IS better gas, you wont see any gains. Some people will say u'll get better mileage but I don't know if anyone proved that on GA's.

normal
04-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah from what i understand about car manufactures, they make the vehicles to run best on whatever they recommend, ie mercs on premium, and pontiac on reg unleaded, so i think the mileage gains would be slim, maybe enough to offset extra price...if youre lucky. Otherwise it only affects the car if you use lower than recommend (i think it can cause the car to knock a little and retard ignition, i think) but that doesnt matter to GA's. Correct me if im wrong though.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
read it! it gives a chart of the best oils at the bottom. The guy does not test out German Castrol 0w-30, just regular castrol syntec. However a lot of people believe german castrol is the greatest thing ever. I'm using it as we speak. Also, royal purple and amsoil are good.

any synthetic is better than most dinos.

read the guide man, it tells u everything about efficient filtering and keeping ur car running well.

You don't need 93 for ur stock V6, even though it IS better gas, you wont see any gains. Some people will say u'll get better mileage but I don't know if anyone proved that on GA's.

Oh, i dint realize i had to click on that link for the pdf. file, i was just reading what was on the page itself. For some reason or another my comp isnt recognizing the pdf file so i need to download somethin to get into that.

Yea, well i dont use 93 all the time, i mostly do 89, i could do 87 if i really wanted to but the manual does say i can use higher if i needed to. One thing on the octane, what i was told that the higher the octane the cleaner the fuel will burn. I think with grand ams you dont really gain any extra power with higher octane gas but im guessing it would restore lost horsepower by cleaning the engine out (if it is dirty), but.. i dont know if thats really true or not.

lone_wolf025
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I can help you with that one. Here's the deal. The higher grades of gas only amount to two things. A) More engine cleaning detergents in the fuel... And...B)Higher knock resistance. From what I have seen you many not know what engine knock is. Without getting into tons of details, knock can destroy your engine if its bad enough. HOWEVER these days cars are designed to detect the presence of knock and adjust spark timing to compensate. The higher octane fuel won't give you better mileage (despite claims to the contrary from the gas stations) and unless you're running boost, nitrous, or lots of other serious mods, you have no need at all for the higher fuel. I'd say keep doing what you've been doing with the injector cleaner (if you really feel like spending the money to) because the cleaner probably will help to keep your injectors from clogging, but stick to 87 for now because it won't hurt anything and you'll be saving a few bucks per tank.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-06-2006, 11:26 PM
I can help you with that one. Here's the deal. The higher grades of gas only amount to two things. A) More engine cleaning detergents in the fuel... And...B)Higher knock resistance. From what I have seen you many not know what engine knock is. Without getting into tons of details, knock can destroy your engine if its bad enough. HOWEVER these days cars are designed to detect the presence of knock and adjust spark timing to compensate. The higher octane fuel won't give you better mileage (despite claims to the contrary from the gas stations) and unless you're running boost, nitrous, or lots of other serious mods, you have no need at all for the higher fuel. I'd say keep doing what you've been doing with the injector cleaner (if you really feel like spending the money to) because the cleaner probably will help to keep your injectors from clogging, but stick to 87 for now because it won't hurt anything and you'll be saving a few bucks per tank.

True, i never really thought that higher octane would better your gas mileage, the gas stations are just lookin for a few extra bucks. While i never experienced engine knock or i dont think i ever did, i never used 87 in my car.. ever. I always did the 89 with the occasional 93 just to be on the safe side. What i may end up doing is the next time i get gas i will try out the 87, but only a quarter tank's worth just to make sure it wont happen to me. Cuz if it does, im goin to whatever gas station is closest & throwing in 93 cuz yea, the last thing i really want is to have engine problems. There was a news report about the type of gas you put in your car b4 & while i dont remember details i thought i would stick with 89.

Now what about mixing the fuel? Like half 89 half 87, or half 87 & half 93?

lone_wolf025
04-06-2006, 11:34 PM
True, i never really thought that higher octane would better your gas mileage, the gas stations are just lookin for a few extra bucks. While i never experienced engine knock or i dont think i ever did, i never used 87 in my car.. ever. I always did the 89 with the occasional 93 just to be on the safe side. What i may end up doing is the next time i get gas i will try out the 87, but only a quarter tank's worth just to make sure it wont happen to me. Cuz if it does, im goin to whatever gas station is closest & throwing in 93 cuz yea, the last thing i really want is to have engine problems. There was a news report about the type of gas you put in your car b4 & while i dont remember details i thought i would stick with 89.

Now what about mixing the fuel? Like half 89 half 87, or half 87 & half 93?

Next time you go to the gas station you can fill you whole tank on 87 and you will not experience knock (which is loud and resembles the sound a diesel makes when cold). The main reason, other than the fact that your car can adjust the timing on the fly, is that the Grand Am recommended fuel octane is 87. If the engine were designed to operate on a higher octane the owner's manual would specify 89 or 93. As for mixing the fuels, it won't hurt anything. After all midgrade is just a mix of half low and half premium. And for the record I drive a 03' Grand Am GT and run it on 87 with no knock whatsoever.

2000Gt Grand Am
04-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Oh wow, i dint know that well cool, i was wondering about oil changes.. could doin it too much damage your engine?

lone_wolf025
04-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Not at all. If anything you'd be doing a favor to the engine by giving it new oil more often. I wouldn't worry about changing it any more than the norm unless you're really pounding very hard on the engine (I.E. racing applications).

2000Gt Grand Am
04-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok, reason why i asked is because some1 told me that fresh oil is thick so your car has to break it down a little first & could cause your engine to strain more. He could be wrong but i generally change my oil around 3months which i end up usin around 2,000-2,500 miles. I dont constantly pound the engine, i roughly do that once a week, or less then that.

pinko
04-17-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm using it as we speak. Also, royal purple and amsoil are good.

Royal purple is good for performace but doesn't offer much in the line of actual protection IMO