hard to start when warm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : hard to start when warm

packen
04-06-2006, 04:28 PM
You guys did such a great job helping me with my trans trouble, here is another problem with the same car(2.3 quad SOHC). Once the car is warmed up, when I shut it off and try to start it again, it acts like the battery is low. It turns over real slow and sometimes it wont start because it just won't turn over fast enough and sometimes it will start. Once it sits for a while, I will start normally, engine spins just fine. I put a new alternator on it so I know thats not the problem. Could it be the starter or maybe just the solinoid?
Thanks again.

digitalballz
04-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Could be a bum starter. When its gettin hot something is acting up.

packen
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Is there anyway to test the starter without taking it out? That thing is a pain to get to. Or, if I do have to take it out, is there a way to test it? Also, could it be the solinoid? or maybe a weak battery? If I let it sit a few minutes it starts just fine. It just drags when its hot.

lone_wolf025
04-10-2006, 07:11 PM
Few things you can do.

A) Check the batt voltage
B) Watch the voltage when cranking

Batt should be around 12.6v give or take a little bit. Voltage should not drop far below 10 on a fully charged batt when cranking. If it drops lower than 8 you've got excessive draw. If you can't watch voltage when cranking turn on the headlights when cranking...they should dim but not go out. They go out you're probably looking at a bad starter assuming the batt is good.