coolant problems (no leaks) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant problems (no leaks)

BTarb24
04-11-2006, 11:43 AM
About 3 weeks ago i changed my own head gasket. I lost one single nut. It was the nut that held the coolant pipe to the block so that it wouldn't pull out of the thermostat housing.

Last night while driving i guess there finally was enough pressure to push the black coolant pipe out of the t-stat housing (didn't think it was possible). Coolant sprayed all over the engine bay, but i was very close to home and was able to make it home before the low coolant light came on and before the car overheated.

Today i bought a nut, put the pipe back into the t-stat housing and secured it to the block. I filled up the resivoir. started the car and let it warm up to operating temp. I then went out and, to my surprise, the resivoir was still full and the coolant was air temp.

I started the car back up again and it climbed to 230 degrees, cold air came from vents and the resivoir was still full of cold coolant.

What could my problem be? t-stat? water pump?

eric99gt
04-11-2006, 02:38 PM
air in the lines...for sure. Bleed the system.

digitalballz
04-11-2006, 04:26 PM
def. an air pocket.

BTarb24
04-11-2006, 04:50 PM
yup, thats what it was. after i made the post i went out and fiddled with it a bit more. there was enough air in the system to be the equivelant to two gallons of fluid. It wouldn't pull from the reservoir unless i was on the gas.. which i was timid to do at first and hence, thought there was a mechanical problem.

thanks for the advice though. you guys were right on.