Low Coolant Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low Coolant Problem

bigtard
04-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Today my Low Coolant light came on when I was driving. I immediately pulled over to a gas station to see what the problem was. A little coolant drained out the short rubber tube near the coolant reservoir cap. When the car cooled down, I checked the coolant level. It was slightly low, but just barely. It was maybe 1/2" or 3/4" below the coolant fill line. I put more coolant in to fill it up to the line, but the Low Coolant light is still on. The car does not overheat. After the car warms up, the gauge reads a steady 200 degrees just like it always does.

Anyone know what the problem is?

[Just before the Low Coolant light came on, I had to flip a fast U-turn in the road. I don't know whether that caused coolant to slosh around and do something that caused the light to come on.]

angrysk8r
04-12-2006, 10:04 AM
There should be a small electrical connection that goes to a sensor on the bottom of the coolant resivoir, check to make sure it isn't corroded or not plugged in all the way.

Before when I've had low coolant, and topped off the coolant resivoir, it took a little while before the low coolant light went off, may be it just needs a little time.

bigtard
04-12-2006, 07:29 PM
I wiggled the wire leading to the sensor and knocked on the tank with my fist. That seemed to fix it. The Low Coolant light turned off.

Here's where the sensor is for anyone else who might run into the same problem: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3068/coolantsensor7nd.jpg