"wrrrr" ing sound comming from the front end [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "wrrrr" ing sound comming from the front end

Woz
04-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey

Well there is a "wirrrrrrrr" ing soung comming from the frond end og my car. It's a 1999 Grand AM SE with the 3.4L V6.

It sounded like it was comming from my drivers side front wheel bearing so i had it replaced. This did not solve the problem. We had the car up and the front wheels rotating (up to about 20km/h) but we couldn't hear any noise from either front bearing.

When i make a right hand sweeper at about 40mph it quites down alot but when i make a sweeping left there is no change in the sound or vibration.

I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and it still sounds like it is comming from the front left side. Anyone else have any ideas on what it could be?? Possible CV joint maybe??

Anyone have any ideas how i could test this??

Ajaxus
04-12-2006, 08:31 PM
this thread title ftw

badboy2451
04-12-2006, 09:23 PM
well "wrrrr" is kind of hard to elaborate, any better sounds that you could give us

99GAGTX
04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Do you have the 16" rims? I remember when I had the factory Goodyear tires on the car, there was a swishing sound coming from the front wheels at low speeds. The common answer by tire experts was "tire flex". They claim the bead on the original Goodyear tires was flexing on the rims more than usual, and would make noise. When I replaced the tires with new BF Goodrich's, the sound went away.

Seeing as how your car is 7 years old, I doubt you still have the original factory tires. But if you replaced them with the exact same model of tire, I guess you could have the same problem as before. However I only heard of this problem on the five-spoke GT rims.

99GAGTX
04-12-2006, 09:32 PM
I have heard a constant whirring sound, or a hissing sound to be more accurate, coming from under the car about midway between the front and back of the car. But this sound is constant, whether the car is in park, or moving. Never figured out what it was. It always did it, and I'm not really worried about it.