check tire press light on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : check tire press light on

Bonnor
04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
my check tire press light come on recently..and i checked all my tires and they seem to be all at 35psi...would the problem be a dirty sensor?

Mike Jung
04-13-2006, 06:39 PM
my check tire press light come on recently..and i checked all my tires and they seem to be all at 35psi...would the problem be a dirty sensor?
When did you last reset the tire pressure monitor ?

You have to reset it every time you adjust the tire pressure or rotate the tires.

The tire pressure monitor uses the ABS system, to determine when a tire is 10psi (or greater) down in pressure.

Check pressure on all tires in the morning (when cold & hasn't been driven on).
Then reset the tire pressure monitor, if everything is ok.

nascarnate326
04-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I didnt know we even have a tire pressure gauge. O well

Mike Jung
04-13-2006, 07:31 PM
I didnt know we even have a tire pressure gauge. O well
Only some '99 GA's have a tire pressure monitor via ABS system based on the tire's rotations.
(Doesn't actually monitor the actual air pressure.)

Mine doesn't.
Too early in the model year.
Mine was built in April '98

Later '99 GA models had it in the SE V6 models & GTs GT1s, IIRC.

nascarnate326
04-13-2006, 07:38 PM
Ahhh. I can probly tell when its quite low. Excesive tire ware is my air presure monitor.

coupe
04-14-2006, 05:14 AM
Ahhh. I can probly tell when its quite low. Excesive tire ware is my air presure monitor.

Ummm thats kinda dumb. Why let your tires get phocked up when all ya need to do is do a walk around your car once a day. No wonder your car is a POS and you hate it.

I have one, it sucks goat balls. It seriously comes on for no reason sometimes, its a truly worthless idiot light.

Exodus
04-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I see it on my dash board but it doesnt work, never did. Probably not connected

pontiacman99
04-14-2006, 08:08 AM
my check tire pressure light came on and it won't reset anybody know what would cause that?????

badboy2451
04-14-2006, 10:37 AM
are you sure that you are doing it right?

Panacea
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
my check tire pressure light came on and it won't reset anybody know what would cause that?????

Open the fuse panel on the drivers side.

Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not start the car.

Press the red button in the fuse panel once. This will cause the "Change Oil" light to flash

Press the red button again. Now the "Check Tire Pressure" light flashes.

Hold the red button for 3-5 seconds (until you hear the door chimes).

Now it's reset.

The tire monitor system was buggy, that is why GM only used it on the 99 models. It works, but it's faulty too. Sometimes it comes on for no reason. You just have to deal with it. Also, if more than one tire is more than 12psi lower the monitor won't work. It is designed to tell if one tire is lower than the rest, not two or more.

Also, if you rely on this monitor to tell you when to fill the tires w/air, then you're a fool.

coupe
04-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Also, if you rely on this monitor to tell you when to fill the tires w/air, then you're a fool.

To many people rely on idiot lights, they only take you so far.

Like my girls freind. Hey my car is runing funny. I dont have any lights on. I guess i will drive it for another 6 months.........:nono:

RyanBeemer
04-14-2006, 02:58 PM
A light like that would drive me nuts. Our truck is a standard, it had a shif up light. It always came on at the wrong times, we just got so fed up we took the bulb out.

pontiacman99
04-14-2006, 03:53 PM
are you sure that you are doing it right?

I did it according to how the manual says to do it but maybe I read it wrong I'll hafta try again.

pontiacman99
04-14-2006, 03:58 PM
Open the fuse panel on the drivers side.

Turn the key to the "ON" position, but do not start the car.

Press the red button in the fuse panel once. This will cause the "Change Oil" light to flash

Press the red button again. Now the "Check Tire Pressure" light flashes.

Hold the red button for 3-5 seconds (until you hear the door chimes).

Now it's reset.

The tire monitor system was buggy, that is why GM only used it on the 99 models. It works, but it's faulty too. Sometimes it comes on for no reason. You just have to deal with it. Also, if more than one tire is more than 12psi lower the monitor won't work. It is designed to tell if one tire is lower than the rest, not two or more.

Thanks man I must have either read the manual wrong or been missing a step cause that worked and no I don't rely on that light.

gagt88
05-12-2006, 07:27 AM
mike said that some of tire lights were hooked up to the abs i know this is sorrta a dumb question but how would u no if its hooked up to the abs or not????

Mike Jung
09-14-2006, 04:45 PM
mike said that some of tire lights were hooked up to the abs i know this is sorrta a dumb question but how would u no if its hooked up to the abs or not????
Follow instructions for the reset of tire pressure light.

If your light flashes when you go through it; it has the feature.
& also I think when you start your car: it should also illuminate like the other lights in the dash.

ninobrn99
09-19-2006, 10:56 PM
mine will not go off even after resetting it. HPtuners doesnt control the BCM otherwise id tune it out if i could :mad: i think i may just take the light out of the cluster.

djcrowd
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
got the same problem ill try this and post later thx panacea