Surging [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Surging

Sc0oB
04-15-2006, 07:02 PM
iv done searches for this problem and came up with 44 other topics on this but no real answers. when im driving around 60 to 80kmh mostly on highway i notice my engine starts to surge like and loses power and gaines power ripidly untill i let of the gas. i took it into the shop they couldnt find any probs but told me my spark plugs need to be replaced. so i did that it seemed to work for a few days.but now its doing it again. i read another topic on here the guy said he had his pressure control solinoid replaced and reconfigured PCM and that fixed the problem... whats PCM? thx and is it expensive?

videoman
04-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Had the very same issue.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24465&highlight=surging

the only fix was a complete PCM replacement. warranty covered it, but the dealer also tried PCM reflashes, Presure control solinoids, torque converter and PCM tuning. Nothing worked. The issue would go away for about 2 months then come back. I finally found some info that lead me to believe it was a PCM issue and only a PCM issue. We replaced the original unit and since then no problems, and that was over 10 months ago.

Sc0oB
04-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Ok i know NOTHING about engines, whats a PCM and how much is it gonna cost me to get it replaced cuz my warrenty's over.

digitalballz
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
PCM= the brain of your car. which in turn = expensive, most of the time.

coupe
04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Get a DHP PCM......
Sounds to me to be a spark issue, if your spark plugs where toaste then you probably need to replace your wires also. While your doing that clean your coil pack posts. Also just for the hell of it seafoam it.

Sc0oB
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
you were right coup all it was was a really dirty spark plug wire wheeew thought it was going to be a wallet buster thx. its like driving a new car again.

AznGA
07-03-2006, 08:58 PM
I had this problem a long time ago as well, when I had NGK iridium spark plugs and taylor wires. I replaced them with AC Delco plugs and wires and it has been fine so far.

Sc0oB
07-03-2006, 09:01 PM
yeah same parts i used....allot cheaper then replacing PCM lol...god thats a load of my back