A/C compressor clutch going bad, false KR possible? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor clutch going bad, false KR possible?

coupe
04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
My A/C clutch is toasted....great.
Its making a horrid bangin/rattling sound (cant explain the noise with words)
My concern at this point is if that could or would cause false KR?
Thats the last thing i need at the Michigan Grudge Match, im shooting for my 14.8.

Malaclypse
04-16-2006, 11:45 PM
I'd say that its possible since the compressor is bolted to the engine block and the oil pan. The compressor itself is only inches from the front knock sensor so some knock might show up. The only way to tell for sure is to check with some scanning software.

You could try finding a compressor delete pulley as there's no way to short-belt these engines. I wouldn't suggest running on a compressor with a clutch that's coming apart like that. The clutch/pulley could lock up and smoke the belt until it snaps.

coupe
04-17-2006, 06:39 AM
I dont think those pully exsist, dont really matter becuase you need the ac for the defrost, if i delete it, no defrost. Even though my GA isnt a dd anymore nor gets driven in winter still want the defrost.
Its bad but not THAT bad to cease up and smoke out the belt lol

coupe
04-17-2006, 07:47 AM
I might not have to replace the AC compressor or replace the clutch. This is what i found on clubgp.com. These guys seem to have the same problems GA's do witht he AC clutch. I wouldnt doubt it the same unit we use.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=3025466&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

coupe
04-24-2006, 10:00 AM
I'd say that its possible since the compressor is bolted to the engine block and the oil pan. The compressor itself is only inches from the front knock sensor so some knock might show up. The only way to tell for sure is to check with some scanning software.

You could try finding a compressor delete pulley as there's no way to short-belt these engines. I wouldn't suggest running on a compressor with a clutch that's coming apart like that. The clutch/pulley could lock up and smoke the belt until it snaps.

Im bypassing this A/C all together.
Dont know why i would need a "delete pulley" or if anyone makes one.
I figure just a shorter belt, i can measure with a string and take that to autozone.
twotime did this, i seen it at michigan grudge match. He did say something about a pulley but i dont remember what he said about it.

nate2023
11-07-2007, 11:43 PM
i had an old 94 Grand prix with the 3.1 and the AC was shot, they do make a deletion pully for it. some autoparts stores have them. i'm not sure but that 1994 compressor never engaged and all my setting for defrost worked, only got cold air on the AC setting in the winter ;)