burning smells/starting issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : burning smells/starting issue

1hotgagt
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
i had my head gasket changed about a year ago and ever since then iv been having a burning smell when i turn the heat on or i really nail it. recently i have noticed after driving i get out and i have a sweet burning smell almost like a fire wood smell with a little sweetness to it and some times the rotten egg smell is this possible cat converter? im also having a starting issue after running for 5 mins or so i try to restart and i have to hold the key and let it crank b4 it fires had this issue since head gasket change to any idea would b greatly app thanks!

angrysk8r
04-16-2006, 09:26 PM
As for the sweet smell, you're probably burning coolant, and from burning all of that coolant you may have a clogged cat. Have a compression test done on your cylanders to make sure you don't have another head gasket failure and perhaps have an exhaust shop replace your cat.

1hotgagt
04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
the burning smell is coming from the engine bay not anywhere near the exhaust. and if i open the hood quick enough it smokes between the coil pack and egr valve like something on the back of the block is burning. also my gas mileage has gone way. my gauge will go from a full tank to 3/4 a tank within 15 miles so im gettin what like 120 miles a tank maybe.

lone_wolf025
04-18-2006, 11:33 AM
You gotta run some tests or have some done. Double check to make sure that everything looks ok (no pinched wires or bad gasket placements) and eyeball the engine when its running. Though if you're losing a noticable amount of coolant regularly you probably are burning it. Hook up a vacuum gauge and see what happens. If it reads below 15" you've probably got a leaking manifold gasket. If it dances all around its the head gasket. If it drops to 0 and doesn't climb or barely creeps up you've probably got a clog in the exhaust. If the gauge reads around 20" and steady its not a mechanical issue with the engine.

The rotten egg smell is from the cat and is normal after hard driving.

angrysk8r
04-18-2006, 11:45 AM
the burning smell is coming from the engine bay not anywhere near the exhaust. and if i open the hood quick enough it smokes between the coil pack and egr valve like something on the back of the block is burning.

check to make sure the back PCV line is pushed in all the way into the back valve cover, perhaps the smoke could be gasses escaping from the valve cover?

And it may be unlikely...but also check nothing has punctured the metal hose that goes into the bottom of the EGR