Noise from front wheels [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Noise from front wheels

FastlaneV6GT
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Well for the last few weeks, there has been a noise coming from one of the front wheels of my car....I think its the passenger side but its hard to tell. To explain the noise, its a whirring sound that you can especially hear at low speeds (like when in a parking lot) and doesnt change or go away when applying the brakes, or turning the steering wheel. It has made this sound for about 3 weeks now, on both sets of pads (semi metallics that had hundreds of miles on them, and my new ceramics with just over a hundred miles that I just did on Friday). I have in the last few months replaced the calipers, rotors, pads (2 sets now), mounting brackets, slide pins with boots, the clips, anti-rattle clip, and a drivers side wheel bearing (it needed to be replaced).
I took it into a couple shops today, and both shops said the wheel bearings seem fine, and the first one said it was probably the pads breaking in...but the last set of pads I had on there made the exact same noise. The first shop (who I went in depth with on the issue) said that my replacing the calipers and hardware was a "good call" to solve the uneven pad wear problem (another issue...inner passenger side pad was getting worn down very quickly which is why I replaced everything I did) and noise problem. Any ideas?

99GAman
04-18-2006, 06:36 PM
I dunno....but I had the same damn problem for a few weeks...and then all of a sudden it just went away. If I find somethin out tho, I'll let ya know

Shad0wguy
04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Wheel bearings maybe?

FastlaneV6GT
04-19-2006, 01:43 AM
I dunno....but I had the same damn problem for a few weeks...and then all of a sudden it just went away. If I find somethin out tho, I'll let ya know

Did you do any work on it before it started making the noise?

99GAman
04-21-2006, 03:31 PM
I have changed out the axel and hub assembly on the right front.

hofulstrof
04-21-2006, 05:36 PM
my 01 starting doing the same think a few weeks ago. thought it might be a wheel bearing.but im not sure... help would be apreciated

brim
04-23-2006, 09:55 AM
more than likely still a wheel bearing, cut the wheel side to side and see if it gets any louder?

it's either that or something is sticking or rubbing

tomh
04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
more than likely still a wheel bearing, cut the wheel side to side and see if it gets any louder?

it's either that or something is sticking or rubbing

exactly what he said.. you said you replaced the one already it might even be that one (i had a cheap brand x put in my car and it went in about a month) thats why i buy the GM ones.. they last me about a year or so on my passanger side front

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 10:53 AM
wheel bearing. Easiest test we do is put it on the lift and have someone stop one wheel from spinning, and listen to see if the noise goes away. If it does then thats your wheel.

digitalquirk
04-23-2006, 12:53 PM
It's your tires. I'm 99.9% sure of that. You got the stock Goodyears, right? Apparently, some of them have a V-groove that goes around the rim. I had my tires rotated recently; the ones that were on the front didn't have this groove; the rear ones did, so it started making this noise, 100% exactly as you described. No harm will come of it, and you could try increasing your tire pressure to 45 PSI to eliminate the problem.

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 08:14 PM
dont overinflate your tires unless you want them to wear out faster, and unevenly.

digitalquirk
04-23-2006, 10:44 PM
It is your tires. Seriously. Inflate up to 45 PSI, see if the noise goes away. If it does, then you've confirmed that the problem is in fact with your tires. If you're worried about uneven wear and such, you can then deflate back to 30 PSI and live with the noise, since it won't hurt anything.

mm2311
04-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Ok I had just started to have this problem as well....facts are:

1.) Mytires aren't stock they are Eagle GT-HR's
2.) Both wheel bearings were replaced with stock GM parts
3.) the noise is like a whirring sound...that starts at 25MPH and is extremely loud by 60 MPH
4.) The noise sounds different when turning right...
5.) Tried rotating and inflating my tires with no success

Got any ideas?
I really need to get this fixed...the sound is annoying the HELL out of me..

Dealership told me it was the wheel bearings....so I dropped $600 and I still have the same problem hopefully this board can help me buy the RIGHT part...

MIAaron
07-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Ok I had just started to have this problem as well....facts are:

1.) Mytires aren't stock they are Eagle GT-HR's
2.) Both wheel bearings were replaced with stock GM parts
3.) the noise is like a whirring sound...that starts at 25MPH and is extremely loud by 60 MPH
4.) The noise sounds different when turning right...
5.) Tried rotating and inflating my tires with no success

Got any ideas?
I really need to get this fixed...the sound is annoying the HELL out of me..

Dealership told me it was the wheel bearings....so I dropped $600 and I still have the same problem hopefully this board can help me buy the RIGHT part...

I have the exact same problem, but I have different tires and am on the stock wheel bearings. Did you ever get this figured out?

Thx,
Aaron

digitalballz
07-08-2006, 09:45 AM
If its a whirring sound then it most likely a bearing. Could be the tires, hell it could be in the tranny. I know wheel bearing have been replaced, but beieve me you can get defective parts, Even from the dealer.

slickjoe
07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
It's the tires, it's a common issue on the car. Had the same issue and had new tires put on the car.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
i can describe the noice up front ( not sure drivers and or passenger ) need to listen more. sounds like when you have your rotors turned down by a brake machine. same sqwheel and scratchy noice not real loud and same noice tone.

my car only see's summers since 2002 summer and only about 1000 klms give or take some more each year . so not much klms on brakes. i think i only hear it after it has sat a day or 2 after rainy days ???

will have to check if i hear it when braking but do not think so?? and will need to check if i hear it when turning ?? i believe it goes after a few klms and some decent braking ?? is it just light rust that i see built up on rotors etc that type of deal .
but if it was this light rust build up thing ,you would think you would not hear when you are moving with out touching the brakes ? noice is heard at 25 klms or less . do not think it makes a sound at over that speed. is it a sticky brake pad that frees it's self up after small amount of driving ?

car only has 73,000 klms on it. on have aftermarket tires on so it not the tires. as not gotten louder or worse over the 2 or 3 years / summers i drive it or heard it. i think i have even gotten rid of it a few times ?? by driving a few yards and apply the brake abit hard at the same time ? no snapping or cracking or poping sounds not a rooing sound either , no vibrations that i can find .

just exact the sound you here when brake machine resurfaces or turns down a rotor.

slickjoe
07-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Get new tires on the vehicle. The stock tires are a common issue to make noises like that.

FastlaneV6GT
07-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Get new tires on the vehicle. The stock tires are a common issue to make noises like that.

Its not the tires

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
turns out it is just the light scale of rust that builds up on the rotors etc after a rain or damp day. i guess in those areas , the brake areas things are really close together even when you do not press the brakes . so that is why you here the scratchy noice like you were having the rotors re-surfaced etc. mind you never experienced it with any other car before .

but these ga 's are a funny breed. i get totally diiferent affects not noices from my 98 ga after it rains . a brief loss of brake power , then they grip hard and then let go . they do this a few times and or for a few yards til you hit the brakes a few times.

this my dry the surfaces up again / feels like the back drums ? because when it does it the back end dropss downward hard like . and this happens with completely total new munroe brakes fronts and backs and adjusted properly .