Can't get caliper off. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can't get caliper off.

scsadjw
04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Im trying to do my brake pads and I took out the 2 bolts that connectected the caliper to the bracket and it wont come off. There is some play, but i dont know if there is some sort of trick to get these dam things off. Thanks alot...Dan

pyro
04-20-2006, 01:06 PM
first off you only need to remove the lower caliper bolt, and you need to shake it really hard to get it off.

AznGA
04-20-2006, 02:31 PM
If you are just doing pads, you can just remove one bolt and slide it up or down. If you still want to remove the caliper, you can use a C clamp to push in the pads a little bit. It should come off then.

Exodus
04-20-2006, 02:42 PM
You dont need to remove the bottom bolt, just the top to do the pads. Loosen the bottom so it can be used as a hinge to swing the cliper.

digitalballz
04-20-2006, 06:15 PM
try getting a screwdriver to "pry" the piston in just a hair.

Irate
04-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Don't do that.

Use a large "C" clamp or a brake pad compression tool to compress the caliper piston. The caliper should be completely removed when doing pads to clean/grease the sliders and to inspect the caliper and piston itself for leaks and/or needs for repair.

If you're going to start doing mechanical work yourself, at least do it properly.

digitalballz
04-20-2006, 08:42 PM
No ish! he said he couldnt get it off! so if you pry it JUST A LITTLE to get it off then you can use a clamp to squeeze it in the rest of the way. I do this for a living I think I know what im doing!!!

pyro
04-20-2006, 08:57 PM
No ish! he said he couldnt get it off! so if you pry it JUST A LITTLE to get it off then you can use a clamp to squeeze it in the rest of the way. I do this for a living I think I know what im doing!!! but you dont need to pry it at all to compress the pistons. why risk ruining them?

Irate
04-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been told by mechanics and techs before that prying from one small area w/ something like a screwdriver can put unequal pressure on the piston.

whichever way works for whoever is fine I guess, these aren't ferarris :confused:

tenspeed
04-22-2006, 06:11 AM

He's right. The rotors get a ridge along the outer edge that keeps the calipers from sliding off. You have to move the piston back into the housing to clear the ridge.

Pry between the rotor and the pad. You're replacing the pads anyways and it spreads the force across the face of the piston.

brim
04-23-2006, 10:54 AM
C-CLAMP

then it'll fall right off when you remove the bolt
you can remove the reservoir cap for excess pressure too, then replace it when you're done

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Thank you Tenspeed! finally someone who knows what there talking about. I'm not saying pry it in all the way, just the tiniest bit so you can get it over that little ridge. Now brim how do you plan on getting a C clamp in there with the caliper still on the rotor??????

brim
04-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Thank you Tenspeed! finally someone who knows what there talking about. I'm not saying pry it in all the way, just the tiniest bit so you can get it over that little ridge. Now brim how do you plan on getting a C clamp in there with the caliper still on the rotor??????

what are you talkin about, you can swing a C clamp around the entire assembly once you have the wheel off and compress it

wheel off, compress piston with c clamp on pad and wrap around back, pull top bolt, swing assembly down, done

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
you people make my brain hurt!

pyro
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
you people make my brain hurt!
i hope not the same "brains" as suggested in your sig lol