Rotor Removal a Pain!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rotor Removal a Pain!!

kmcooke
04-22-2006, 05:42 PM
I'm trying to remove my rear rotor on my 2001 GAGT. I was able to get the calipers off fine, but the rotor won't budge. Are there some release pins, washers, or something else that I'm forgetting?? Dude at Auto Zone suggested a rotor removal device, but I don't know if its necessary. Any help is very much appreciated.

iceman
04-22-2006, 05:43 PM
If you are replacing the rotor.... some penetrant and a hammer works nice. If it needs to be saved.. rubber mallet

kmcooke
04-22-2006, 05:59 PM
I bangged on that thing for an hour and it didn't budge. I'll give another go around.

iceman
04-22-2006, 06:02 PM
I bangged on that thing for an hour and it didn't budge. I'll give another go around.

Bigger hammer :D

Wait a second... stupid question.. because I do it sometimes. Is your ebrake on?

CoopGT
04-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Bigger hammer :D

Wait a second... stupid question.. because I do it sometimes. Is your ebrake on?

I was about to say the same thing. E-brake off .

chevy355blazer
04-22-2006, 07:38 PM
new rotors 25 bucks use a sledge if he got the caliper off then the e brake shouldnt matter if i remember right its set up like a w body car older luminas and grand prixs like 90ish if oil dont work find someone that has some torches even those stupid propane piping torchs like the kits u buy from sears heat up the rotor in three diff spots like a tri angle till its hot then smack it once and it should pop off try not to hit the studs on the hub =) its gonna take a while with those lil torches hope this helps

kmcooke
04-22-2006, 09:01 PM
Heat torch and about 200 bangs with a "BIG" hammer did the trick. Thanks everyone.

chevy355blazer
04-22-2006, 11:00 PM
dang i was a lil late

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 11:58 AM
big hammer. yeah if he got the caliper off then it dont matter if the ebrake is on. Our cars dont have ebrake shoes. the ebrake is built into the caliper.

iceman
04-23-2006, 12:49 PM
big hammer. yeah if he got the caliper off then it dont matter if the ebrake is on. Our cars dont have ebrake shoes. the ebrake is built into the caliper.

Wrong

coupe
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Man just take a sledge to it or sit on your but and kick the sh1t outta it.

lone_wolf025
04-23-2006, 06:25 PM
At least they got rid of the bracket that had the T-60 torx bolts that like to freeze up.

pontga00
04-23-2006, 07:09 PM

I'm with Iceman, I had the caliper off on my rear rotor and couldn't get the damn thing off til i realized I had the E-brake on, it came right off after...

chevy355blazer
04-23-2006, 08:08 PM
hes already done. e brake doesnt matter u can do it both ways on or off with it on its just a harder time to get the caliper off with the e brake on either way hes dont already so might as well close it before people argue on how to do brakes everyone does it there own way some do it for a living others do it once and a while.

digitalballz
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
ok your right on this one. Our ebrake does use shoes. I havent done a set of shoes on a GA in..... well ever. so you got me there. I still say big big hammer to solve the issue. and if need be the heat wrench never hurts!!

mr03SCT
04-25-2006, 06:42 AM
ok your right on this one. Our ebrake does use shoes. I havent done a set of shoes on a GA in..... well ever. so you got me there. I still say big big hammer to solve the issue. and if need be the heat wrench never hurts!!

be careful when using a hammer...i damaged a tie rod when replacing one of my front rotors. Also if you want to reuse the rotor, put a block of wood wrapped in cloth and hit that. Try hitting rotor in at different points to slowly jar it loose.

kmcooke
04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Just in case I was supposed to remove the ebrake, does anyone know how to remove it? My cousin said something about popping a spring off. Not sure. Just bought this car like 4 months ago.

varelaismexican
06-16-2006, 01:29 PM
i couldnt find anywhere else to ask, so here goes. i need to replace my brake pads, and since ive never done it before, i dont know how. is there a post somewhere that would either tell or show me step by step? i have a 1999 Grand Am Gt Coupe, with 4-wheel disk brakes.

slickjoe
06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
don't nail it too hard, u'r car might fall off the jack lol. then u gunna have more issues to deal with besides pulling off a rotor.