Starting Problems (gfs Olds Ceria) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems (gfs Olds Ceria)

tomh
04-23-2006, 09:27 AM
My gf has a 94 Olds Ceira with the 3.1 engine. It does not want to start correctly after it sits for appox 4+ hours. From a cold start you have to hold the key at the start position for about 30-45 seconds before the car starts. Once its started and it runs fine, you shut it off and start it in less then an hour or so it starts up with you holding the key for about 5 seconds.

The car was backing firing and had a hesitation so I put new plugs, wires, and pcv valve in it and it corrected those problems but not the starting issue.

The other day my gf told me the car kept stalling on her too. (I didn't witness this so I have no clue know how often it really happened)

could it be the starter even know it does work sometimes? Or possibly even a the battery?

if anyone has any suggestions on anything else to do to try and fix it that would be awesome.

brim
04-23-2006, 09:47 AM
were there any power issues? I'm not sure of the key situation, that shouldn't effect anything. Could be the starter not grabbing the plate, but it'll do murder on your battery if it's taking 30-45 sec to catch.

Stalling and shutdown could be from the alternator, try jumping the car and see if it kicks over easy. If not it's probably the starter on its way out

tomh
04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
ill have to try that