Bypassing A/C....it can be done. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing A/C....it can be done.

coupe
04-24-2006, 10:46 AM
I went to Michigan Grudge Match this past weekend. Travis was there (twotime) and he showed me how he bypassed the A/C. But before i left i forgot to write down the belt size.......doh!
He also said something about a pully but i cant remember what he said about it.

Im wondering if anyone else has done this and has the part # for the belt?
I dont think i will have to do anything with the pully's though, dont see why i would have to.
If no one has done this you think i could measure with a piece of string and if i do that you think autozone could look up a belt by the size?

coupe
04-24-2006, 01:25 PM
twotime gave me the part #
OK the belt size for a gatorback is:
Belt size- 4060610
6pk1550

He says the pully below the WP needs to be swapped for a ribbed one.......
That part is confusing me plus how the belt is to be routed.
So close yet so far!

pyro
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
so close to death down here in FL, a/c is a must, you crazy boi

coupe
04-24-2006, 01:29 PM
I never use mine anyway.
2 windows down plus sunroof open keeps me cool enough lol
I have a feeling the A/C puts alot of strain on the engine, i bet removing this might actually improve my 1/4 mile....i hope. Plus taking out all that A/C crap should lighten me up some.

iceman
04-24-2006, 02:04 PM
If the clutch isn't engaged.. what's the point?

coupe
04-24-2006, 02:08 PM
My problem right now is the clutch is toasted. It rattles like you wouldnt believe and now its so bad that when i turn on my A/C it dosent stop the rattling like it used to. So my options are replace the whole compressor or bypass it. Since i dont use it (owned the car for 3 years and have never used it till the clutch started going on me) im just gonna bypass it. Its more cost effective plus whats the point of spending all that money to replace something i dont even use?

digitalballz
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
there is an ac replacement pully. It bolts into the same holes as the compressor but its just a pully on a bracket. sadly I dont know the part number off hand.

coupe
04-26-2006, 06:19 AM
I dont think they make something like that for the 3400, unless its universal.
I found out i have to replace the idler pully with a ribbed pully.
So thats about it really, just pick up that belt and a ribbed pully about the size of your stock smooth idler pully and bam no A/C.

KeyserSosa2000
04-26-2006, 08:39 AM
but with that pully do you still have the AC compressor in the car or does all that weight come out too? I'm kinda confused.

H.O. Driver
04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
but with that pully do you still have the AC compressor in the car or does all that weight come out too? I'm kinda confused.
With that idler puller (the ribbed one) you can completely remove the compressor and all that stuff since the belt will be going around it.

coupe
04-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah what tim said.
Im just gonna slap in the new belt and pully. Then when i get the time im yankin the compressor out and anything else i can get out of there. Not quite sure how to get out the compressor though, i havent really inspected it yet.

KeyserSosa2000
04-26-2006, 11:47 AM
well, when you get it finished I would love to see pics of the new operation. I have had bad luck with A/C in vehicles and I have little doubt that it will eventually go on my Grand Am. Pics are great.

coupe
04-26-2006, 12:02 PM
Yeah i have promised pics for a few of my projects. I need to get to it.
But yes im gonna have pics for this project, i will post them in this thread, that or i will do a "how-to" thread, that will be a first for me. Bought time i contribute.

H.O. Driver
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Hey Rand, I will take it out for you, just give me a sawzall and a shovel, if it gets tricky maybe a BFH :) Pics will be easy, **** you could take video of that :)

coupe
04-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Hell yeah it wouldnt be more than 3-4 pics total for such a project. I cant really call it a project, its like a 20-30 minute job lol
The longest part will be the drive to autozone with my stock pully to get a ribbed one lol

I mean the info is here now so if anyone wants to do it go right ahead. I wont get to this till next weekend unfortuantely.