Loud grinding from front of wheels [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loud grinding from front of wheels

mm2311
04-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Ok I had just started to have this problem as well as some others on this site....

So far, what I've found on this board has not fixed the problem, but at least given me an idea of whats going on..

Facts are:

1.) My tires aren't stock they are Eagle GT-HR's
2.) Both wheel bearings were replaced with stock GM parts
3.) the noise is like a whirring sound...that starts at 25MPH and is extremely loud by 60 MPH
4.) The noise sounds different when turning right...
5.) Tried rotating and inflating my tires with no success

Got any ideas? (CV joint? Axle?)
I really need to get this fixed...the sound is annoying the HELL out of me..

Dealership told me it was the wheel bearings....so I dropped $600 and I still have the same problem hopefully this board can help me buy the RIGHT part...
Any help is appreciated.....

ancona46
04-27-2006, 03:55 PM
is the power steering fluid low?

digitalballz
04-27-2006, 06:06 PM
still sounds like a wheel bearing. A whirring, or humming sound usually means a bearing.

mm2311
04-28-2006, 07:24 AM
no all my fluids are fine.....I just changed the left and right wheel bearings last weekend....

So it isn't them...I'm confused as hell.....haha

I hear it the most with the windows up.....but now I can almost hear it OVER my music....lol

White00GAGT
04-28-2006, 07:35 AM
Maybe they didn't install them right? If it was a CV joint i think it makes a poping noise. Got a buddy who's CV's are bad and it kinda makes a grinding noise but it's been a while since i've heard it. I'd take it back to the dealer and say the noise is still there maybe have them check out your CV's while you're there.

H.O. Driver
10-29-2006, 09:24 PM
Bringing it back up, I am having the same issue. Major noise when wheel is strait and left, once I turn right by just the slightest, its gone. Possible a bad half shaft or something? There is a small vibration to it, but the noise is unbearable. Any input????

Devo
10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
I also had this same problem, it started out quiet but within a day it got alot louder. The next morning when I went to take it in it was fine again but took it to the shop anyways and they said everything was fine. How long has this been doing it for you guys?

two cheese
10-29-2006, 09:49 PM
I had the same problem loud noise when driving, louder when turning to the right did rotation on tires same problem. So at the shop where i worked at we switched from all season tires to winter tires the noise went away. Closer inspection of my tires showed seperated belts on the tire there were bulges on two of my tires. I did'nt have a problem after that. Give a close look at your tires it may be the problem. I had to deal with that loud noise going three hours to Saskatoon and back I was that close to taking a axe to the front end. Hope that this might help you out.

H.O. Driver
10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
I also had this same problem, it started out quiet but within a day it got alot louder. The next morning when I went to take it in it was fine again but took it to the shop anyways and they said everything was fine. How long has this been doing it for you guys?
It just started this a few night ago, was fine up till then, just got really f'in loud all of a sudden.

I had the same problem loud noise when driving, louder when turning to the right did rotation on tires same problem. So at the shop where i worked at we switched from all season tires to winter tires the noise went away. Closer inspection of my tires showed seperated belts on the tire there were bulges on two of my tires. I did'nt have a problem after that. Give a close look at your tires it may be the problem. I had to deal with that loud noise going three hours to Saskatoon and back I was that close to taking a axe to the front end. Hope that this might help you out.

I kind of thought the tires would be a problem, but nope. Took the 18s with summer only tires off and put the stock rims with all season/winter tires on. Resulted in the same noise, same loudness.

H.O. Driver
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
TTT, just wondering because its stupid loud and want to know what I need to order to start fixing the damn thing before the snow sticks for good.

polo77
10-30-2006, 08:14 PM
ya i got the same noise in the front end of my car. but when i turn right the noise goes away. i only noticed it when the front tires got bald. replaced them and noise still there. i know i need a front end alignment so maybe thats what it is.

H.O. Driver
11-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Just talked to a man here and town and he claims its a common thing with the GA to have wheel bearings sound like that. He beleives that when you turn its releive the pressure off the one side, the hard part is figuring out whether its the inner or outer bearing. Thats why you could replace one and still have the noise and vice versa.

tenspeed
11-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Just talked to a man here and town and he claims its a common thing with the GA to have wheel bearings sound like that. He beleives that when you turn its releive the pressure off the one side, the hard part is figuring out whether its the inner or outer bearing. Thats why you could replace one and still have the noise and vice versa.

It is common for the GA's to get bad wheel bearings. The bearings and ABS sensor is in one hub so if anything goes wrong the entire hub gets changed.

When you turn, more weight is put on the outer wheel and if that bearing is bad, more noise will come from it. So if you are turning right and hear more noise, you have a bad left front bearing.

H.O. Driver
11-03-2006, 11:23 PM
It is common for the GA's to get bad wheel bearings. The bearings and ABS sensor is in one hub so if anything goes wrong the entire hub gets changed.

When you turn, more weight is put on the outer wheel and if that bearing is bad, more noise will come from it. So if you are turning right and hear more noise, you have a bad left front bearing.
You got it, if its constant, it could be a rear bearing for the person who posted above that replaced both front ones and had no luck. It wasn't a bad swap, with air tools and that it took about 15mins!

polo77
11-05-2006, 06:59 PM
See I have that same problem as I stated earlier. But the steering wheel is turned to the left a little bit. So it would be a wheel bearing to make the steering not be center and when i turn to the right the noise goes completly away. I thought maybe Front end alignment.

H.O. Driver
11-05-2006, 10:45 PM
See I have that same problem as I stated earlier. But the steering wheel is turned to the left a little bit. So it would be a wheel bearing to make the steering not be center and when i turn to the right the noise goes completly away. I thought maybe Front end alignment.
Its because you are changing the pressure and angle of the load on the bearing, thats why the noise is going away. The noise probably sounds like its coming from the driverside of the car too, since the only way for the sound to travel is to the other side of the car by going under it.

polo77
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
actually it sounds like its coming from the passenger side.

timberwoof
11-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Have you looked into having problems with the brakes and continuous pressure. My GA started doing the grinding after I changed the brakes and realized that the guys who changed them didn't resurface the rotors. Since the pads I got were slightly larger than stock, by about 1/8 inch inward it was cutting away at the pad continuously. Just an experience on my part. Laters